Which rimfire to buy

shawn9914

Hi all

Just getting back into shooting after about 3 years off and made the mistake of selling my guns and gear used to have a sako finfire varmint heavy barrel in 22lr.

Question is what do I buy now new or second hand in good condition I don't mind either way.

Guns I am looking at are the cz range and the anshutz range but unsure which models to look at as there are that many it' a mine field do I go for 16 or 20 inch barrel???? so looking for some advise as to which rimfire to go for not sure on price up to may be £800 Inc scope.

Cheers 

Edited by shawn9914

I’ve a heavy barrel hmr and I wouldn’t do it again. It’s pointless. It’s a 16” cz455 and I love it and although the extra weight doesn’t bother me I still would be happier with a sporter barrel.

my 22lr Brno mod2 is 45 years old and I had it cut down to 16” for £30.

ill never swap it ever and at £130 inc cutting it’s the bargain of the year.

Horses for courses really. Without doubt I'd say CZ everytime, and little will change this. Mate has a Finnfire with stunning wood; it never gets used ( think I've seen it twice in around ten years and both times were in his house ) as he's frightened of it depreciating in value. When bunny bashing we always without doubt take my synthetic stocked CZ. It has been used and while not exactly abused, has taken on the patina of a well used rifle, which is what it was designed for. It has never let me down, at all, and if I do my bit is the equal of any RF out there regarding accuracy as far as practicalities are concerned for shooting rabbits. With the barrel cropped at 16" there is nothing better as a proper working tool in my opinion.  

9 hours ago, shawn9914 said:

I did see that Finfire and thought should I buy another, but I am not sure as to whether I should have a change what is the difference between a cz 452 and a cz455 is the 455 just a re branded 452 with a different model no or are there some serious changes

Cheers 

As I understand it the 455 was redesigned to reduce the complexity and cost of machining. Things like one locking lug instead of two for the bolt, and apparently a slightly lower quality of finish.

You can still get a new 452 as they kept the left handed production as 452 and only make the 455 in right hand. 

I have a left handed cz452 paired with an S&B 6x42 and parker hale moderator,  I cant see myself changing any part of the set up any time soon.

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 21:11, shawn9914 said:

Hi all

Just getting back into shooting after about 3 years off and made the mistake of selling my guns and gear used to have a sako finfire varmint heavy barrel in 22lr.

Question is what do I buy now new or second hand in good condition I don't mind either way.

Guns I am looking at are the cz range and the anshutz range but unsure which models to look at as there are that many it' a mine field do I go for 16 or 20 inch barrel???? so looking for some advise as to which rimfire to go for not sure on price up to may be £800 Inc scope.

Cheers 

Have I missed something, what do you want to do with the gun, target, plinking, vermin, etc, any/all???  You also said Rimfire, do you actually want another .22 or a different rimfire?

The Sakos had a reputation, you had a Varmint Heavy barrel apparently!  Do you want a Heavy barrel again?

Look at the good and bad in what you had and decide which bits you want to keep or change!

After that you may then want to look at manufacturers and find a model that best suits your requirement!

It was only 3 years ago, there has been no revolution in shooting during that period and if it is a .22 then there are plenty of good second hand guns on the market.   Scope wise there is a mass of choice but scopes/reticles/magnification/etc get personal. 

ATB!

1 hour ago, fister said:

Downside with T-bolts is the kid sized stocks. Well made with an interesting action but outshone now

I'm 6 foot 3 and get on with mine fine. I think the smaller stock is an advantage as you can always add to a stock but you can't take away.

if anything it's slimline design makes it more maneuverable in a hunting scenario.

to say the action has been out shone is rubbish as there's nothing else like it on the market and the only thing quicker to reload is a semi auto.

1 hour ago, fister said:

Well as I said, I have shot them all and having to push the bolt forward under strain on such a short stock makes it tricky to keep it planted into your shoulder when shooting fast, but each to their own.

I tend to recomend what’s good on average for most shooters, not what I own myself.

Mine goes forward with hardly any effort at all ?
The plastic sporter stock is a bit small , but nice and light.
The wood varmint stocks are completely different though ,heavier and more 'man size'
I shoot left handed ,and bought the T bolt because its easier to work with my right hand, plus its a nice slick action (when worn in a bit)

10 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Mine goes forward with hardly any effort at all ?
The plastic sporter stock is a bit small , but nice and light.
The wood varmint stocks are completely different though ,heavier and more 'man size'
I shoot left handed ,and bought the T bolt because its easier to work with my right hand, plus its a nice slick action (when worn in a bit)

Mine are easy to push forward too

I was checking out a brand new CZ455 in a shop last week to fill a slot for a complete HMR rather than keep swapping the spare .17 barrel every time I wanted to calibre change my .22LR Sako Quad.

I was shocked at how noisy the CZ safety catch was - despite trying several times to do it really slow and carefull. That might not be an issue at HMR ranges but I imagine most 60 yard bunnies would hear it in a remote quiet field at night. I feel I can honestly say the very quiet safety on a Sako has spoiled me and I've passed up several CX 'bargains' while waiting for a used Sako to come at a price I can afford.

In my opinion paying more for that aspect alone seems feasible - then there's the flush fitting five round mag... :)

Edited by Dave-G