Gun cabinet change

Hi guys just a quick question and not sure if this has been covered before but I’ve recently purchased yet another gun! I sent in the notification to Derbyshire police and they have today e-mailed me querying my security arrangements.

When the FEO originally come round I had a 3 gun cabinet which quickly got changed to a 6 gun cabinet when I realised how addictive buying new guns was!

I never informed the police of this change, should I have??

Am I to expect a knock on the door sometime soon?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

One of our club members on his renewal visit, was told he needed a bigger cabinet because he had 6 guns in a 5 gun cabinet. They were all locked away just crammed in, I think the FEO even told him he would have to store 1 of them with a RFD until the new cabinet was in place.

Surely if six guns fit in a five gun cabinet and the door locks as it should then it’s fine ? A bigger cabinet won’t make it anymore secure.

2 minutes ago, Mr gen said:

Surely if six guns fit in a five gun cabinet and the door locks as it should then it’s fine ? A bigger cabinet won’t make it anymore secure.

If the Police/FEO have noted you as having a 5 gun cabinet and a 6th gun is added to your SGC they will ask you to justify it or beef up security.

It is much the same as people fitting cabinets in lofts. In many areas it is not liked because people get lazy and leave the gun propped up in a corner rather than putting it away securely.

As I said above, security is YOUR responsibility but the Police/FEO may well give you a nudge in the right direction.

I just don't understand this number of guns in cabinets bull, and police telling anyone its a problem.  They can nudge you in any direction they like, gun security is down to the individual, and there is absolutely no security risk in cramming more guns into a cabinet than anyone may suggest it can hold, if you can still lock it!  I see this time and time again, the police said this, I've heard that, my FEO says... it's about time someone took their balls in their hands and asked WHY?

I have NEVER been questioned by anyone about the SIZE of my cabinets.   I now have a SENIOR Firearms and Explosives FEO who comes from way outside my regular FEO's area as I have so many guns and pistols.  

He doesn't give a fig how many guns I want to ram in any Cabinet, nor should he, and neither does the Law, if the guns are secure that is all that is required and it is not down to anyone to question the number of guns in any cabinet if they are secure, regardless of how many guns any manufacturer may suggest fit in a cabinet.

:good:

1 hour ago, Stevemitton said:

Hi guys just a quick question and not sure if this has been covered before but I’ve recently purchased yet another gun! I sent in the notification to Derbyshire police and they have today e-mailed me querying my security arrangements.

When the FEO originally come round I had a 3 gun cabinet which quickly got changed to a 6 gun cabinet when I realised how addictive buying new guns was!

I never informed the police of this change, should I have??

Am I to expect a knock on the door sometime soon?

There is no need to notify a change of cabinet. It sounds like a reasonable question to ask, and a quick email reply would sort it without needing to get the steroids out

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

I just don't understand this number of guns in cabinets bull, and police telling anyone its a problem.  They can nudge you in any direction they like, gun security is down to the individual, and there is absolutely no security risk in cramming more guns into a cabinet than anyone may suggest it can hold, if you can still lock it!  I see this time and time again, the police said this, I've heard that, my FEO says... it's about time someone took their balls in their hands and asked WHY?

I have NEVER been questioned by anyone about the SIZE of my cabinets.   I now have a SENIOR Firearms and Explosives FEO who comes from way outside my regular FEO's area as I have so many guns and pistols.  

He doesn't give a fig how many guns I want to ram in any Cabinet, nor should he, and neither does the Law, if the guns are secure that is all that is required and it is not down to anyone to question the number of guns in any cabinet if they are secure, regardless of how many guns any manufacturer may suggest fit in a cabinet.

This. Why oh why do people seem so intent on making an issue out of nothing? 

Yes, the OP can indeed inform his FEO if he wants to, but there is absolutely no requirement by law whatsoever.

I have three gun cabinets with only two guns in, and three gun cabinets with four guns in; and again, it matters not a jot if you can get a fifth in there as long as you fulfill your obligation under the terms of your license. For your FEO  to insist you need another cabinet in such circumstances is sphericals. 

As for the matter of upgrading security to your home, then much depends on the opinion of your FEO and the area in which you live. This doesn’t mean you can’t upgrade off your own bat if that’s what you want to do.

I e-mailed my FEO the other day because my certificate was full and wanted to know the procedure for obtaining a new certificate. Obviously they said send in the old one and we will issue a new certificate with more spaces.

I queried if I was ok to put any new guns in my existing cabinets as they were seemingly designed for a certain number of shotguns but I could easily fit more in. The FEO said that if the guns fit and the cabinet could be locked then all well and good. If they didn’t fit then get a new cabinet.

I asked if they needed to see the new cabinet and they said that they didn’t as the security was my responsibility but they might make a visit at some point to check my arrangements. 

This was Gwent police. 

I would inform my FEO. I only say this because, for some reason, my FEO had me down as having a 3 gun cabinet.

I wondered, when i got to just over double that, why he phoned me asking if the cabinet was ok?? Then on the renewal, he came to visit, noticed i had a 6-7 gun cabinet and explained why he had had concerns. I asked him how many he thought i could have, cabinet and security wise? He said "oh about 14!"  :yes:

When I obtained another gun a few years ago which put the number of guns two over the amount designated by the cabinet, this was queried by Kent Police.

I explained that by topping and tailing the guns, they fitted into the cabinet and the door was able to be shut and locked.

This was followed up by me emailing them a photo of the guns in the cabinet and was accepted. I know that it was my responsibility for their security and probably unnecessary to provide such proof, but I've always had a good rapport with Kent Police and indeed my FEO, so was more than happy to do this.

OB

Seems to depend on your FEO - I have 13 Shotguns in 2 x 5 gun cabinets - I mentioned that I had fitted a second cabinet on my last renewal (fitted it over a year previously) and my FEO simply said that's fine as long as it's a Police Approved cabinet, no mention of Alarms, Window Locks etc although a bit more strict over explosives storage.

A 3 gun cabinet is only called a 3 gun cabinet by the manufacturer because they have a bit of foam stuck on the back with 3 slots on it. If they cut 4 slots, would they call it a 4 gun? If you top and tailed it would be an 8 gun.

If you can get your guns in and lock the door, that is all that is required.

42 minutes ago, walshie said:

A 3 gun cabinet is only called a 3 gun cabinet by the manufacturer because they have a bit of foam stuck on the back with 3 slots on it. If they cut 4 slots, would they call it a 4 gun? If you top and tailed it would be an 8 gun.

Very true, as long as the FEO and the SGC issuing authority are of the same frame of mind, alternatively for the sake of an email or a phone call to the FEO it can all be solved so easily.

51 minutes ago, walshie said:

And this. ?

14 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Very true, as long as the FEO and the SGC issuing authority are of the same frame of mind, alternatively for the sake of an email or a phone call to the FEO it can all be solved so easily.

They do not have to be of the same frame of mind, they have no legal backing for "comments or suggestion" about the size/quantity of guns in your cabinet.  If a few more of us pointed this out to them, perhaps they could get on with doing their job more efficiently.  They only get away with this bull because people roll over and don't question WHY!

I am all for keeping on the right side of the Police/FEO, indeed I work quite closely with the Police, BUT, I have no intention of crawling up their ****, writing unnecessary emails/letters or phone calls, wasting their time and therefore pushing grants and renewals backward!

25 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

They don't have to be of the same frame of mind. What are they going to do? Arrest you for locking your guns away securely and fully complying with the conditions on your ticket? :)