Bib and brace recommendations

washerboy

Are those Aldi ones waterproof ??   I have a pair of Cabela's bibs which are super warm. If you have a friend on holiday in the USA, then ask them to bring some back. They also do camo cotton ones which I wear continually  (3 pairs).  Expensive to ship but if you can arrange a 'courier' they are very reasonable price.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

They really are lovely and warm, might have to venture out in the snow today, so they will be used again.

Now !!!!!  Should you do that?  Is your journey necessary ... a matter of life or death?  Suggest you pull up "Jaguar X Type 4x4 Estate ...Top Gear,"   on youtube and see what you should pack.

On 28/02/2018 at 10:28, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Aldi had some crackers recently.

For £24 they can't be beaten, they come up in both Aldi and Lidl every few months.

I CAN assure you, they leak  !

Have a look at Glasgow Anglers website, massive selection from around £40 for jacket and bib and brace trousers.

Edited by Westley

I would look to maybe spending a bit more but getting a quality product that works. Around 10 years ago I bought a Shimano suit for £60 in the local fishing tackle shop, it was in a sale that they had on at the time. The overtrousers are chest high with built in braces, 2 leg pockets and slits to get to your trouser pockets, they also have a zip fly. The jacket is of the shorter wading variety with 4 external pockets and a wired hood. It also has neoprene inner cuffs and velcro outside adjusters. I have sat in a boat in some torrential rain and it has always remained 100% waterproof. My fishin/shootin buddy sat on a towel all the way home in the car, he found that his German Army issue Gore-tex overtrousers, did not like being 'sat' on !  They were replaced with a set of Aldi chest high overtrousers, with braces.  2 weeks ago, whist pigeon shooting, he got the chance to test them, he sat on a towel all the way home again. It would appear with a lot of so called waterproof materials, they are, UNTIL you put pressure on them by kneeling or sitting. That then causes them to leak at the pressure point. That is why most of the better brands have double or even treble layers of material at seat and knees.

14 hours ago, Westley said:

I would look to maybe spending a bit more but getting a quality product that works. Around 10 years ago I bought a Shimano suit for £60 in the local fishing tackle shop, it was in a sale that they had on at the time. The overtrousers are chest high with built in braces, 2 leg pockets and slits to get to your trouser pockets, they also have a zip fly. The jacket is of the shorter wading variety with 4 external pockets and a wired hood. It also has neoprene inner cuffs and velcro outside adjusters. I have sat in a boat in some torrential rain and it has always remained 100% waterproof. My fishin/shootin buddy sat on a towel all the way home in the car, he found that his German Army issue Gore-tex overtrousers, did not like being 'sat' on !  They were replaced with a set of Aldi chest high overtrousers, with braces.  2 weeks ago, whist pigeon shooting, he got the chance to test them, he sat on a towel all the way home again. It would appear with a lot of so called waterproof materials, they are, UNTIL you put pressure on them by kneeling or sitting. That then causes them to leak at the pressure point. That is why most of the better brands have double or even treble layers of material at seat and knees.

For the ultimate wet weather protection whilst in a boat, look no further than an Imax Floatation suit. Too warm to wear for anything active though. I have a two piece in green that has withstood incredible rain whilst winter pike fishing on Chew Valley.

Renapur the boot wax people now have a spray which the young lady at the show assured me would waterproof any coats, trousers.  I did not buy any as I have a couple of pairs of Dickies waterproofs which have managed to keep me pretty dry.   I'm now wondering if it would waterproof my Cabela's overalls ?????????????????

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Country Covers ( can't recall what the company is called now ) have had mine on today while shovelling snow. Toasty warm and dry. 

The word 'BUST' springs to mind  !   They originally took over a Company called Arktis, and I have a jacket and overtrousers of theirs. They were recently selling off the quilted liners for the jacket at £35 but try as I might, I have been unable to contact them.

6 hours ago, Penelope said:

For the ultimate wet weather protection whilst in a boat, look no further than an Imax Floatation suit. Too warm to wear for anything active though. I have a two piece in green that has withstood incredible rain whilst winter pike fishing on Chew Valley.

I had a floatation suit which came from an oil rig, it was just TOO warm. By the time I had kitted out the boat and set up the electric motor, I was wringing wet inside it.    :unhappy:

On 3/2/2018 at 16:54, Westley said:

The word 'BUST' springs to mind  !   They originally took over a Company called Arktis, and I have a jacket and overtrousers of theirs. They were recently selling off the quilted liners for the jacket at £35 but try as I might, I have been unable to contact them.

Are you sure? I know the Father died about 18 months ago, but they were still trading ( as Fortis ) in January 2018.  

37 minutes ago, Scully said:

Are you sure? I know the Father died about 18 months ago, but they were still trading ( as Fortis ) in January 2018.  

Well, as sure as I can be. They still have a 'Fortis' website, but I have been unable to use it and it has not altered since November 17. I have tried the telephone number on the site but number unobtainable. Emails have bounced back too. Shame really, I was issued with a full Arktis 'Falklands' suit, before I finished work and as a 'crawl through brambles'  work suit, it is the best. Just the quilted liner that is showing wear and they had them on offer. They are STILL on offer, but I just can not contact them  ?

Edited by Westley