TOYs R US and Maplins on the ropes.

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toys R us is an American company. A young relative worked for them for 18 months. A terrible company to work for, its modern day slavery. He was just 'casual' labour, didn't even have the luxury of a zero hours contract.

Maplins would be a problem for me if they go under but I guess the internet has made things a lot harder for them. Not that long ago they were the only place you could go to if you wanted that sort of stuff. Most of the time I just go in and browse these days while the OH goes off 'real' shopping 

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

All types of retailers are desperately waking up to the fact that they need to accept the 21st century and change their way of doing business.

hello, i agree tightchoke, how many in the uk shop online, good business for the couriers, just like the Bob Dylon song IN 1964,  A TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGING

they used to be on the retail park at Stockton was in there quite often then they moved in to Middlesborough .

Called in one day and for some gear and asked why they had moved from the retail park, the lad told us it was one of there most profitable shops but the people who run the park would not renew there lease..

Was down the retail park a few days later and what was Maplins has now been converted into 3 shops so they are getting more income in rents greedy ****..

37 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

All types of retailers are desperately waking up to the fact that they need to accept the 21st century and change their way of doing business.

The way i understand it to be is far eastern manufacturers are using there own warehouses in the UK which have freight forwarding status, this means no import duty or vat has been paid on the goods and it is the purchaser who is liable to contact HMRC and pay the relevant duty as they are the importer.  These manufacturers also have the payment made directly to there far eastern bank accounts which bypasses UK tax on their profits as the transaction is not taking place in the UK.

In addition to the lost duty there is less income tax being paid because a whole industry which has thousands of employees is collapsing, add this to unemployment benefits and subsidized earnings it is easy to see why the government are struggling to keep the NHS, Police, Education etc etc funded.

16 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Hardly a surprise about Maplins, as a radio amateur as well as a shooter I used to buy the odd component from them if I was desperate.  Ridiculously overpriced eg 6 quid for a PL259 RF connector which I could buy from ebay for a a couple of pounds. 

Yes, the biggest surprise is how they've managed to continue in business for so long, as their prices were pretty extortionate generally.

Cat.

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:

The way i understand it to be is far eastern manufacturers are using there own warehouses in the UK which have freight forwarding status, this means no import duty or vat has been paid on the goods and it is the purchaser who is liable to contact HMRC and pay the relevant duty as they are the importer.  These manufacturers also have the payment made directly to there far eastern bank accounts which bypasses UK tax on their profits as the transaction is not taking place in the UK.

In addition to the lost duty there is less income tax being paid because a whole industry which has thousands of employees is collapsing, add this to unemployment benefits and subsidized earnings it is easy to see why the government are struggling to keep the NHS, Police, Education etc etc funded.

So where is our Dept of Trade to tighten up on these practices and protect our commercial interests as a country ?

31 minutes ago, matone said:

So where is our Dept of Trade to tighten up on these practices and protect our commercial interests as a country ?

They are well aware this is happening, the basis is you work you pay tax on your income, you spend it and you have to work some more and pay more tax. If they did tighten up on this sort of thing diplomatic relations would be strained, the cost of goods would rise and even more people would say we live in rip off Britain. As it stands customs duty is not payable on goods bellow £135 and you only pay vat if the goods are worth more than £15 so for your £2.99 electronic component or your Fleabay gismo there is no tax to be collected. When the likes of Maplin or any other retailer import such goods the duty is payable on the entire consignment so they will always have to pay duty and vat on the goods. As far as I can tell retailers are closing because consumers are buying direct due to the short term lower price but in the long term income tax will have to increase to cover the cost of the lost revenue so the working population will pay more tax to cover the shortfall and the non working and low income population will benefit more from the system until it collapses. 

4 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Maplins lost it when they changed direction from primarily electronics bit with a few toys to mainly 'toys' and very few components and bits

Yes better when it was called    Radio Shack.

As for Toys R Us.  surprised that they have lasted as long as they have. Lots of cheap plastic injected rubbish at high prices.

5 hours ago, hawkeye said:

they used to be on the retail park at Stockton was in there quite often then they moved in to Middlesborough .

Called in one day and for some gear and asked why they had moved from the retail park, the lad told us it was one of there most profitable shops but the people who run the park would not renew there lease..

Was down the retail park a few days later and what was Maplins has now been converted into 3 shops so they are getting more income in rents greedy ****..

wow, I hadn't realised they'd gone, they used to be at the top of Linthorpe road before they wen't to Teesside park

6 minutes ago, Deker said:

wow, I hadn't realised they'd gone, they used to be at the top of Linthorpe road before they wen't to Teesside park

Is Dormans sports and social club still up there?  Memories sweet Memories.

3 hours ago, Wingman said:

Hardly a surprise about Maplins, as a radio amateur as well as a shooter I used to buy the odd component from them if I was desperate.  Ridiculously overpriced eg 6 quid for a PL259 RF connector which I could buy from ebay for a a couple of pounds. 

Six quid for a PL259 RF connector! Dread to think what they'd charge for the DK763!

23 minutes ago, Ricko said:

In the last ten years during the economic slowdown:

MFI, Dixons, Woolworths, BHS, Jessops, Lewis's, Maplin, Toys R Us.....

A lot of big names there. 

Yes indeed and all with supposedly clever CEO's that took good money and failed to see the need for change.

10 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes indeed and all with supposedly clever CEO's that took good money and failed to see the need for change.

Its not that they don't see the need for change its more that its virtually impossible to make significant changes when you are established. The shops are not movable, most costs are not negotiable.

The competition is just leaner and meaner these days.

Edited by Vince Green

26 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Its not that they don't see the need for change its more that its virtually impossible to make significant changes when you are established. The shops are not movable, most costs are not negotiable.

The competition is just leaner and meaner these days.

It's difficult to predict future trends: rise of Netflix and decline of Blockbuster, both in the same game