TOYs R US and Maplins on the ropes.

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, hawkeye said:

they used to be on the retail park at Stockton was in there quite often then they moved in to Middlesborough .

Actually, they always had both,  Boro was much better though, Forsythe Buildings I believe it is called.  Cleveland modeller still there though.

Here is the retail list of Administrations if you want it:  http://www.retailresearch.org/whosegonebust.php

Next time you here the words "Recovery, Economic growth", slap this in their face.

Even the BBC has this:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42923499

We are on a heady, downward slope.  See you all at the bottom,

RS

3 hours ago, Ricko said:

In the last ten years during the economic slowdown:

MFI, Dixons, Woolworths, BHS, Jessops, Lewis's, Maplin, Toys R Us.....

A lot of big names there. 

DIXONS as a company is still strong, they simply changed strategy being they had Curry’s and PcWorld

7 hours ago, Cosd said:

DIXONS as a company is still strong, they simply changed strategy being they had Curry’s and PcWorld

I thought it was something like that, I suppose I mean that it's another empty shop on the high street that's covered in posters for a circus and a typhoon of leaves and litter swirling around the once busy doors.

Although I’m just as guilty as the next man in using EBay for pretty much everything my thinking/shopping habits have actually started to change a bit recently.

Having spent countless hours either chasing up missing goods or dodgy sellers, that or receiving something who’s quality is decidedly questionable I have now started doing the old fashioned thing and actually visiting the different retailers or little local one man band places.

And to do my bit I’m off to Maplin’s this afternoon ( was planning to anyway even before the announcement) , I know I can buy from the same from Amazon etc but the ability to ask an opinion of something is worth the extra to me now and I can take it home immediately too.

Having a home automation day as I’m still trying to warm up from time spent outside yesterday checking on elderly neighbours etc

In all of this though I  wish all those affected by these recent announcements good fortune and luck in finding replacement employment.

• 3 weeks later...

The next big change will probably be car dealerships - buy online/direct from manufacturer and service/fix warranty at your local Halfords or suchlike. What does the salesperson actually add to the equation?? Mind you the pretty Lithuania lass who sold me a new Merc recently added something to the event even though she didn't know much about the car - I had to show her how to open the boot and where the SD card for the Tomtom went!

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 08:43, Dekers said:

I can see some reasoning behind toys r us, but less so for Maplin.

Maplin serve a purpose and supply some useful stuff, just the same, they are not taking the money or making the profits, so I guess not enough of us are buying their stock.

Maplin shops are located in very expensive high streets and everything they sell is available easier and cheaper on line. I used to love Maplin, but I bought less and less from them as time went on.

This is the start of the next recession. It was always going to happen and the current worldwide debt based monetary system has come to an end. Debt is at all time highs (private, corporate and government) and is totally unplayable. Every man and his dog is up to their eye balls in debt with mortgages, car loans, home improvement loans and credit cards. And now the governor of the BOE has stated that the economy is doing well so he will raise interest rates??!!! Nope, it's performing very poorly and the amount of money that needs to be printed daily to sustain this global economy is eye watering! It's about to hit rock bottom as I perfected last hear and there is nothing they can do to stop it. All we need is a bit of distraction like Russia and Brexit/trump and no one will be the wiser, Unless it's you that looses your home and car and possessions. 

Just read the business news or the Guardian articles over the last month on business closures stock declines and debt levels and let me know that the economy is doing well. I'll be shorting the DOW J and anticipating one he'll of a crash and with interest rates at near zero there is no short term kick the can recovery this time. Companies like Mothercare, Boots, DFS, Waitrose will all start to fall and Brexit will be to blame due to the falling pound. However this was always going to happen  as people are just running out of spare cash to spend and with rates rising, council tax rising, inflation and fuel costs then they have no spare cash for the high streets.    

Boots is another good example of a stalled business model, in our local High St there is a Boots and 50 yds further on there is a Superdrug. Why would anybody realistically go to boots when most branded things are significantly cheaper in Superdrug? 

My OH went into a big Poundland to get paper plates and things for a big event they were having where she worked. Giving me a lot of time to wander round and browse. I was stunned, its the only word for it. There was so much stuff there and its not all tat. Some is, obviously, but many things are perfectly adequate for what you need them for.

Its a very competitive world out there now

Edited by Vince Green

37 minutes ago, Whatmuff said:

This is the start of the next recession. It was always going to happen and the current worldwide debt based monetary system has come to an end. Debt is at all time highs (private, corporate and government) and is totally unplayable. Every man and his dog is up to their eye balls in debt with mortgages, car loans, home improvement loans and credit cards. And now the governor of the BOE has stated that the economy is doing well so he will raise interest rates??!!! Nope, it's performing very poorly and the amount of money that needs to be printed daily to sustain this global economy is eye watering! It's about to hit rock bottom as I perfected last hear and there is nothing they can do to stop it. All we need is a bit of distraction like Russia and Brexit/trump and no one will be the wiser, Unless it's you that looses your home and car and possessions. 

Just read the business news or the Guardian articles over the last month on business closures stock declines and debt levels and let me know that the economy is doing well. I'll be shorting the DOW J and anticipating one he'll of a crash and with interest rates at near zero there is no short term kick the can recovery this time. Companies like Mothercare, Boots, DFS, Waitrose will all start to fall and Brexit will be to blame due to the falling pound. However this was always going to happen  as people are just running out of spare cash to spend and with rates rising, council tax rising, inflation and fuel costs then they have no spare cash for the high streets.    

And when it comes all the remainers will be blaming Brexit, jumping up and down saying I told you so!

Times have changed, you used to go into stores like Maplins and the staff were brilliant and knew exactly how to help you. 

These days you go in and the staff in lots of stores barely have the ability to breath and move at the same time, some of the people I’ve had try and help me in these types of stores were so terrible that I genuinely thought they were learning disabled and employed to give them a chance. 

Then if you can find someone else there’s plenty that can’t be bothered to do any work and just clock watching until they can leave! 

Why go somewhere to talk to staff that either 

1) don’t have a clue, or 

2) can’t be bothered to help you / are rude 

I can instead go online and look up exactly what I need for any scenario on helpful forums and chat rooms, being given advice from people who have a genuine interest in the area, who enjoy the puzzle of fixing stuff and helping others. 

I can then go online and buy the parts for a fractions of the price that the stores want. 

Recently I broke the cover of the wind screen wiper on my car. 

Halfords wanted £70+ for one and the staff there took ages to even acknowledge my existence... 

Went home and found one on eBay for about £2 with free shipping and it clipped right on :) 

Just look at many reviews of gunshops. Lots of reports of staff being rude, giving wrong advice, telling customers they don’t actually want what they asked for and pushing other stuff on them etc ... 

I once asked a shop in Wales for a box of 87gr BTHP 243 bullets - the staff member went on several times telling me they weren’t legal for deer and it was a 100gr minimum only. I told him I believe that was only in Scotland, but he rudely repeatedly told me I was wrong and I didn’t know what I was on about ... I never went back to that shop. Now I can just buy the bullets I want online and avoid that scenario. 

Just to give the opposing point of view on that. Near me for many years was a big double fronted fishing tackle shop. It was an Aladdin's Cave to me when I was a kid. They had everything you could ever want. Plus they sold shotgun cartridges and air pellets.

The thing they had most of was knowledge, you could ask them anything and they took the time to explain things. They went bust a few years back and he directly blamed the internet. People would come in his shop, try all the different reels, or whatever, ask lots of questions and get lots of advice. Then they would go off and buy one ten pounds cheaper off ebay.

He was a real gentleman 

Edited by Vince Green

I haven't been fishing for years,  plus all my old fishing tackle, bar one rod and a couple of ancient lines and reels is under the stairs at my sister's house in the UK.

Anyway, I'm going on a  tropical saltwater fishing jaunt this summer and and have just ordered replacement tackle direct from the Chinese manufacturer/wholesaler. Two saltwater fly rods, two large-arbor sealed-drag CNC machined reels, 600 yards of braided backing, a Renzetti-clone vice, a waterproof all-singing backpack, 300 yards of divers florocarbon tippet material, a few fly lines, and a whole slew of tools, tying materials, gadgets, clothing, etc, etc. Basically I went mad. And the cost? Four hundred and fourteen quid, and that includes $110 shipping. I'm not altogether convinced about the fly lines, but everything else I can find the exact same item  - not a replica -  on either E=Bay or an American or British tackle seller's website at 2-3 times the price. If I'd bought this lot on the high street it would have cost me well into 4 figures. 

The thing is, because I used to work in the fishing tackle business, I know that the mark up on many of these items is massive and that's why I did a bit of detective work online. But if I can do it, anyone can. In the past the domestic mail-order businesses crushed the local shop, then international online shopping swallowed the magazine-based mail order businesses, and now it seems that anyone who is prepared to order off an Xcel stock sheet and an online catalogue can bypass everyone and get their stuff straight from the factory gate. It's the future.

And because of that, one of the discussions that really should be undertaken - quite possibly at governmental level - is what to do about the demise of retail in city centres. At the moment it seems that when left to market forces alone there's a tendency for dying retail shops to get replaced by theme pubs or thrift shops, and the city centre becomes just a shadow of its former self. A bit of foresight and planning might not go amiss.

The city centre planners are too busy putting the rates up 

a few years ago a business I worked for enquirer about opening a shop in a town centre that was absolutely dead, 3/4 is the shops closed down, only ones left were Iceland and charity shops. 

The council wanted over £40,000 between rent and rates/council tax just to open it up. 

Then they wonder why the whole street has closed down and no one can afford to open up anything new. 

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

The city centre planners are too busy putting the rates up 

a few years ago a business I worked for enquirer about opening a shop in a town centre that was absolutely dead, 3/4 is the shops closed down, only ones left were Iceland and charity shops. 

The council wanted over £40,000 between rent and rates/council tax just to open it up. 

Then they wonder why the whole street has closed down and no one can afford to open up anything new. 

Quite. And of course it's a vicious circle. Who would risk opening a shop for that kind of money when the footfall past the door is almost solely comprised of people looking for bargains in thrift or charity shops? The risk far outweighs any possible reward so the downward spiral continues.

You would have thought, if 3/4 of the shops are closed, that it shouldn't be beyond someone's imagination to piece together a target sales-mix of retailers and producers who can offer either services or goods that are not easily  obtainable online, and then target them by giving proper incentives to take the risk to move into the empty spaces. If it could be done as a one-off transformation so much the better. The claim is always made that the area would need to be 'redeveloped' first and there's no budget for that, but to my mind that's nonsense. If 3/4s of an areas shops that were previously closed were to suddenly open with a mix of interesting and worthwhile outlets, that in itself would be a massive development. But these boys like to collect and spend money, and that's where it stops. The work of strategic planning is seemingly not even part of the job description anymore..

19 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Just to give the opposing point of view on that. Near me for many years was a big double fronted fishing tackle shop. It was an Aladdin's Cave to me when I was a kid. They had everything you could ever want. Plus they sold shotgun cartridges and air pellets.

The thing they had most of was knowledge, you could ask them anything and they took the time to explain things. They went bust a few years back and he directly blamed the internet. People would come in his shop, try all the different reels, or whatever, ask lots of questions and get lots of advice. Then they would go off and buy one ten pounds cheaper off ebay.

He was a real gentleman 

and that is the source of the problem....people are more willing to save a few ££ that keep a local business in work....

I am doing the same...had online quotes for some work at about £3-3200 ......go to a local firm and its £4k+ ...so what would you do???