Royal British Legion Supporters

Grandalf

A few weeks ago Walker507 decided he was bored and needed something to do.   He decided to make a knife, auction it, then donate the proceeds to the RBL.

Old farrier was the lucky winner of the auction and £310 was sent to me, Grandalf, to bank in the Legions Poppy Appeal account.   (I am one of the Legions Poppy Appeal Organisers - looking after a large chunk of rural Suffolk).

Now TIGHTCHOKE has joined in.   Walker507 re-handled two knives for him and, as a thank you, he decided that he would also donate to The Poppy Appeal.   Yesterday I received his cheque for £60 and that will be banked today.

Pigeon Watch never ceases to amaze me - £370 has gone to a very good cause and at least four members of the forum are very happy about it.   Walker507 also has the satisfaction of knowing he did a very good job of the knife and sheath construction.   Old farrier is now using a superb hand built knife when he is out in the sporting field.   Tightchoke is enjoying using two re-handled knives and Grandalf is very happy to report all this generosity to the other members of the forum. 

Thank you one and all.

Ben Symonds - RBL Poppy Appeal Organiser, Fressingfield, Suffolk.

Grandalf, I to am a poppy appeal organiser. Only in charge of a small area though ( dozen or so boxes). It has been proven without doubt over the years that I have been doing this, that for a worthy cause people will still give generously.  Long may it continue. 

2 hours ago, Grandalf said:

A few weeks ago Walker507 decided he was bored and needed something to do.   He decided to make a knife, auction it, then donate the proceeds to the RBL.

Old farrier was the lucky winner of the auction and £310 was sent to me, Grandalf, to bank in the Legions Poppy Appeal account.   (I am one of the Legions Poppy Appeal Organisers - looking after a large chunk of rural Suffolk).

Now TIGHTCHOKE has joined in.   Walker507 re-handled two knives for him and, as a thank you, he decided that he would also donate to The Poppy Appeal.   Yesterday I received his cheque for £60 and that will be banked today.

Pigeon Watch never ceases to amaze me - £370 has gone to a very good cause and at least four members of the forum are very happy about it.   Walker507 also has the satisfaction of knowing he did a very good job of the knife and sheath construction.   Old farrier is now using a superb hand built knife when he is out in the sporting field.   Tightchoke is enjoying using two re-handled knives and Grandalf is very happy to report all this generosity to the other members of the forum. 

Thank you one and all.

Ben Symonds - RBL Poppy Appeal Organiser, Fressingfield, Suffolk.

:good: Good work guys

Terribly sorry lads but things haven't worked out quite as planned.

Last Wednesday a lady friend of ours, with horses, phoned to say her taps in the stables had frozen.   As her husband is suffering Alzheimer's I was asked if I could help.   No problem.

Roads were bad but the trust landy got through the drifts and I was soon there.   Took the dogs to give them a run before I looked at the pipes.   On the second lap of her field the dogs careered into the back of my legs and I ended up face down in the snow with a lot of pain in one ankle.   Couldn't get up until the lady went and got my fowling stick from the truck.   Nothing seemed to be broken but it hurt like hell.   The pipes didn't get sorted but I got the truck back home.   The NHS website seemed to indicate that I have a sprained tendon.   It got worse, the pain, the next day but our local surgery couldn't open as the village got cut off overnight.   I forced my high lace up boots on and drove a couple of miles through the drifts to pick up the  lady who cares for The Memsahib when I'm not around and she has moved in to look after the both of us.   Managed to speak to someone in authority at the neighbouring surgery this morning and was advised to go to A and E in Norwich for an x-ray.   That is 25 miles away and the roads are blocked.   So, I have not been to the bank with the cheque yet.   Sorry TIGHTCHOKE.   I will get there when I can.   The plan is to try and get to the hospital tomorrow - local gamekeeper's truck - but it is currently snowing again.  

Great fun living in the country.   If my dogs were ill any local vet has an x-ray machine but the surgeries don't! 

Managed to get to Norwich hospital at last.   Doctors thought broken bones in ankle but the x-rays say no.   Seems torn Achilles tendon and massive bruising.   Very painful but should all sort itself out.

So, I should be able to  get to the bank tomorrow sometime.   Sorry for the delay chaps.

Ben

Edited by Grandalf

On 02/03/2018 at 21:01, Grandalf said:

Terribly sorry lads but things haven't worked out quite as planned.

Last Wednesday a lady friend of ours, with horses, phoned to say her taps in the stables had frozen.   As her husband is suffering Alzheimer's I was asked if I could help.   No problem.

Roads were bad but the trust landy got through the drifts and I was soon there.   Took the dogs to give them a run before I looked at the pipes.   On the second lap of her field the dogs careered into the back of my legs and I ended up face down in the snow with a lot of pain in one ankle.   Couldn't get up until the lady went and got my fowling stick from the truck.   Nothing seemed to be broken but it hurt like hell.   The pipes didn't get sorted but I got the truck back home.   The NHS website seemed to indicate that I have a sprained tendon.   It got worse, the pain, the next day but our local surgery couldn't open as the village got cut off overnight.   I forced my high lace up boots on and drove a couple of miles through the drifts to pick up the  lady who cares for The Memsahib when I'm not around and she has moved in to look after the both of us.   Managed to speak to someone in authority at the neighbouring surgery this morning and was advised to go to A and E in Norwich for an x-ray.   That is 25 miles away and the roads are blocked.   So, I have not been to the bank with the cheque yet.   Sorry TIGHTCHOKE.   I will get there when I can.   The plan is to try and get to the hospital tomorrow - local gamekeeper's truck - but it is currently snowing again.  

Great fun living in the country.   If my dogs were ill any local vet has an x-ray machine but the surgeries don't! 

Just seen this and really hope you are feeling better.

Do not rush to the bank, that can wait.

You have my best wishes for a speedy recovery Mate.

• 2 weeks later...