Car allowance and hmrc

chady

Good evening all. 

I have a car car allowance instead of a company car. 

I get to claim 18p per mile for the mileage for work  

i am under the impression that you can claim tax back up to the effect of 45p per mile? 

Is this true and how do I go about claiming it please? 

The way it works at our place is that if part of your remuneration you either have a company car or take the allowance you only get the 18p as you are effectively only paying  for fuel as a the allowance already covers other running costs. 

If there's no company car or allowance in your package you get 45p as this allows for wear and tear and the other  running costs such as insurance.

Is there any way you can get them to give you a truck as a company car?  The BIK is incredibly low and if they are kind enough to give you personal fuel, you're laughing.  I pay less than £200 BIK per month for a brand new truck inclusive of all costs under this method...its why you see so many double cab pickups about.....

Edited by notsosureshot

If i remember rightly you keep a spreadsheet of journeys, what you claim from work, how you calculate the deficit against allowed rates, and submit it with your tax self assessment.

Give them a call if you need to, in my experience once you get through to an actual person they tend to be very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

Thanks all 

19 hours ago, notsosureshot said:

Is there any way you can get them to give you a truck as a company car?  The BIK is incredibly low and if they are kind enough to give you personal fuel, you're laughing.  I pay less than £200 BIK per month for a brand new truck inclusive of all costs under this method...its why you see so many double cab pickups about.....

I actually have a car allowance not a company car as I feel it’s more beneficial to myself. 

I fo like the pick ups though nearly got a ford ranger but pulled out at the last minute.