Fulica atra ( Re posted )

GREENGRASS

Cracking pic that GG! Don't seem to be so many of them about now. Out and About snaping up one of the farms meself today, trying to snap stormy snowy sun set. Breath froze on to me beard and tash it were that cold in the wind! Had a laugh when the farmer came past on his quad towing his 3 kids in an inflatable dingy! Great day to be out!  NB

Yes NB a great day to be out we must be mad LoL. I wish I had a pound for every time my wife and daughters say that to me.

I agree with your comment ref Coots numbers, there does not appear to be that many coots or Grebes in my location this year either.

I would have photographed your frozen facial hair for a record shot, hope you got what you ventured out for in the end.

GG :good:

Didn't manage to get out with camera today but there's gona be some amazing drifts and wind sculpture about. Wonder what's knocking the numbers of coot and grebes back? As they  both quite aggressive and territorial birds. Less moorhen and mallard about my way to. Never hear the so called experts talk of the noticeable decline in water birds. Rubbed the ice off me face before i thought to take a pic. Got a few good pics but nothing like the quality of yours. Snapping with a canon EOS 700D and 55-250 lens. looking to get a bigger/better lens for better wildlife snaps. what would you use or recommend??  NB

20 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Cracking pic that GG! Don't seem to be so many of them about now. Out and About snaping up one of the farms meself today, trying to snap stormy snowy sun set. Breath froze on to me beard and tash it were that cold in the wind! Had a laugh when the farmer came past on his quad towing his 3 kids in an inflatable dingy! Great day to be out!  NB

They have all come over here, absolutely thousands of them. Golf course managers are doing their nuts as they are pecking up not only the fairways but the greens as well. Need to have a serious cull in the autumn.

But getting back to the thread, fabulous pic again GG :good:

3 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Didn't manage to get out with camera today but there's gona be some amazing drifts and wind sculpture about. Wonder what's knocking the numbers of coot and grebes back? As they  both quite aggressive and territorial birds. Less moorhen and mallard about my way to. Never hear the so called experts talk of the noticeable decline in water birds. Rubbed the ice off me face before i thought to take a pic. Got a few good pics but nothing like the quality of yours. Snapping with a canon EOS 700D and 55-250 lens. looking to get a bigger/better lens for better wildlife snaps. what would you use or recommend??  NB

Canon 100 x 400 MK ii  ( versatile and solid )

View some of my stuff on Flickr:- GREENGRASS  F1

3 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

They have all come over here, absolutely thousands of them. Golf course managers are doing their nuts as they are pecking up not only the fairways but the greens as well. Need to have a serious cull in the autumn.

But getting back to the thread, fabulous pic again GG :good:

Thanks for looking in and taking time to comment :good:

I have observed the Coots fighting with the Grebes over nesting site rights, not nice and the Grebe lost.

Before I had a camera unfortunatly.

GG :ninja:

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:05, NatureBoy said:

You need to be looking for mink nature boy, that's the normal reason for coots and moorhens going missing. At my mum's today a moorhen went through her garden jumped up onto the 6foot fence into next doors where he has plenty of bird feeders out, not far from a lake but still unusual to see them in the garden.

back on topic, did you take the pic in black and white GG or just that's the only "colour" there was?

On 07/03/2018 at 00:22, Mice! said:

You need to be looking for mink nature boy, that's the normal reason for coots and moorhens going missing. At my mum's today a moorhen went through her garden jumped up onto the 6foot fence into next doors where he has plenty of bird feeders out, not far from a lake but still unusual to see them in the garden.

back on topic, did you take the pic in black and white GG or just that's the only "colour" there was?

Hi Mice

Initially shot in colour but the light was poor and the image appeared flat, opened in raw on Photoshop drop the highlights, up the contrast and shadows, crop to size.

Open image then in full PS black,white gradient filter layer then curves layer and slight contrast balance.

Then resize for web posting PW and Flickr..

I don't shoot in Mono. My work flow is through Lightroom and Photoshop..  HDR Photmatrix Pro 6.3

Hope that helps.

Regards

GG :good: