What is this bird please?

Dekers

I'm not the best at birds, particularly not the ones I can't shoot, help me out please, any idea what this is, first glance I thought it was a sparrow but its huge compared to those and different colours from what I can see.   No doubt a winter coat on it but still big.

Sorry about the picture quality, taken through a window with my cheap phone

Thanks!

009a.jpg.4950c40c9eeb2990781d707c53533fce.jpg010a.jpg.034a361a1b33829db739516a352932ef.jpg

44 minutes ago, Dekers said:

I'm not the best at birds, particularly not the ones I can't shoot, help me out please, any idea what this is, first glance I thought it was a sparrow but its huge compared to those and different colours from what I can see.   No doubt a winter coat on it but still big.

Sorry about the picture quality, taken through a window with my cheap phone

Thanks!

009a.jpg.4950c40c9eeb2990781d707c53533fce.jpg010a.jpg.034a361a1b33829db739516a352932ef.jpg

Kind of speaks volumes coming from a self proclaimed shooting/countryman....   What is it???? :hmm:

Yep Fieldfare. I leave the hedge along the side of my wood with the tops uncut and have been for twenty or more years. The hawthorns therefore still flower and produce berries which these and the Redwings pounce on.  More hedges should be cut that way for that reason.  The photo shows the roadside hedge, compared to the atrocity of my neighbours across the road.

2018-02-28 14.44.09 (800x450).jpg

Guest stevo

A

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep Fieldfare. I leave the hedge along the side of my wood with the tops uncut and have been for twenty or more years. The hawthorns therefore still flower and produce berries which these and the Redwings pounce on.  More hedges should be cut that way for that reason.  The photo shows the roadside hedge, compared to the atrocity of my neighbours across the road.

2018-02-28 14.44.09 (800x450).jpg

Good on you walker ?? 

+1 with Fieldfare

About 6 years ago (I think) when we had a prolonged cold spell with snow, we had about 30 of them flock to a yew tree at the bottom of the garden, it had a dog rose growing up through it and the rose hips were still on it. They must have been very hungry to have come into the city looking for food. They stayed around for two days stripping the hips.

Snowing again now, just off to put some water out.

15 minutes ago, Christian Sutton said:

Kind of speaks volumes coming from a self proclaimed shooting/countryman....   What is it????

Just because you are a shooting / countryman doesn't mean you are expected to know all the different birds that you come across , I agree , all the birds on the quarry list would be a good start , having said that , with me living in Norfolk I have never seen any moorland game in the wild .

I pass 100s of wading birds and wildfowl every day of my life while walking around the estuary wall with my dog and binoculars , and yes I do know most of the species but sometimes through light conditions and young birds not being in full plumage it is not always possible to get it right , and I dare say most members on the forum would have the same trouble in identifying all the birds I see most days of the week.

19 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Just because you are a shooting / countryman doesn't mean you are expected to know all the different birds that you come across , I agree , all the birds on the quarry list would be a good start , having said that , with me living in Norfolk I have never seen any moorland game in the wild .

I pass 100s of wading birds and wildfowl every day of my life while walking around the estuary wall with my dog and binoculars , and yes I do know most of the species but sometimes through light conditions and young birds not being in full plumage it is not always possible to get it right , and I dare say most members on the forum would have the same trouble in identifying all the birds I see most days of the week.

I agree! I thought the comment a little harsh! We can't all know it all! Try identifying a grey hen from a red Grouse in flight, the first time you see one! But it ain't hard when you have seen a few!

4 minutes ago, yates said:

I had something like this on our garden feeders this morning but it had red markings at the side of it’s eyes. Do fieldfares have these markings too?

That may have been a Redwing. Not quite a red stripe more like brown.

3 hours ago, Christian Sutton said:

Kind of speaks volumes coming from a self proclaimed shooting/countryman....   What is it????

I'm a shooter, who loves the country side, I am not, and never have been a self proclaimed countryman, I made it clear I don't know much about birds I can't shoot, what is your issue?!

4 hours ago, JDog said:

It’s a Fieldfare as above. If it eats any of those Skimmia Japonica berries it will be in trouble.

Well, you're ahead of me all round there, I didn't know the bird and I didn't know the name of the plant (even though its my garden) and yes, it was busy eating the berries!

Edited by Dekers