What is this bird please?

Dekers

26 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

When I was very young they were called Felts.  We ate them.

They are still on the quarry list in France.

Everything is on the quarry list in France, I was tractor driving on a 400 acre estate in the Charente a few years back when a Frenchman with a shotgun stopped me to ask what the bird was he had just shot, to my disgust he held up a Tawney Owl, It was all I could do not to run over him with the tractor,  similarly on a campsite just off the A10 in central France we were enjoying an evenings fishing on the river Charente when next to us a young lad pulled in a 10 inch common carp and beat it to death with a stick, I asked what he was doing and he said getting his dinner, I assume he did this with everything he caught,  They are brought up to catch or shoot anything edible, that's all they know, but it was always difficult for us, ( my wife and I ) to accept it as 'normal'.Some other things they consider tasty snacks are coypu known locally as Ragonda , they roast the saddle or preserve it in jars, also tiny white fish which can be roach,rudd,bream or baby chub, which they catch on rod and line and boil up whole to make a kind of fish stew, mmmm tasty.

7 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

When I was very young they were called Felts.  We ate them.

They are still on the quarry list in France.

7 hours ago, Dekers said:

Been an education for me this thread!

:good:

And me.

France has a quarry list? 

That's either "anything that flies - apart from aircraft and anything with four legs apart from table and chairs" or (if its a blank sheet) anything on the list?

If either, it was purloined from the Greeks?

The birds are really hungry. We normally have 3 robins come to our garden but they usually squabble like mad and keep a good distance between themselves. A couple of days ago there were 7 quite happily eating and not fighting. 

3 hours ago, walshie said:

The birds are really hungry. We normally have 3 robins come to our garden but they usually squabble like mad and keep a good distance between themselves. A couple of days ago there were 7 quite happily eating and not fighting. 

Good survival strategy that?