Well I tried....

Walker570

Had every intention of going across to Lincolnshire early this morning and set out on dry roads and very little snow.  I knew there was a possibility of more snow on the A47 between Leicester and Uppingham but even then when I turned onto the A47 there was very little. I then came up behind a solid line of vehicles and I could see about 800yrds, the line eased forwards and then I could see drifts almost to the middle of the road at least 2ft deep and the road surface had not been gritted.  Total failure again by Leicestershire County Council. These drifts had to have started to form in the early hours which is when a gritting/plough wagon should have been dispatched to patrol that section, keeping the drifts back, but it was obvious nothing had been done and now there was hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of produce and materials stranded along with people trying to get to work .... how much is that costing the country?  I'm informed that the County does not have the money to do the job.  We can send multi millions of our tax money to other countries in aid and send multi millions to the EU to keep the likes of Tusk, Junker, Barnier plus a lot of grey suits we don't know about in the style of millionaires and we cannot keep a very small amount of snow at bay.    The traffic did not move for 15-20mins and did not like it was going to so came home and drank my flask of coffee back here ..............................IS THIS A RANT?????   TO ######### SURE IT IS!!!

My old Grandmother, a fine generous lady, told me 70yrs ago that charity begins at home. If we don't ensure that we are OK then we will not be able to help others.  No truer word was spoken.

how can we have roads closed when the "sick lame and lazy" sit about all day,

I remember the 60s in winter builders were laid off in winter, before they could be paid any benifits, they were given a shovel and told to clean several streets of snow.

:good: it's the same here, Councils simply gamble with the snow budget in the hope it doesn't snow, then when it does the roads are terrible. You often see gritters out around here amber lights flashing but no grit coming out. Looks like they're doing something, but the reality is the money was spent long ago :no:

A140 in Suffolk blocked by badly drifting snow! Lorries etc stuck buried in deep drifts all night near me! Heard gritter/plough truck ended up in ditch further up near Scole trying to clear the road last night. Farmers pulling lorries out and trying to clear drifts today. Other farmers been told not to clear roads as they are not on the councils contact list. They scraped the drift fencing posts and burnt the mesh fencing that used to be put up on that stretch when they contracted the roads out to private contractors. After the last lot of snow we had local farmer and plant hire boi's were told to stop clearing roads after someone reported them and they were not on the approved list. Whats happened to common sense and using local knowledge!! NB

Told you to stay at home Walker ?

doesn't matter what folk did in the 60s 70s etc, lot more traffic on the roads these day and a lot of people work 20 30 40 miles from work, that's a lot of opportunity to get stuck for the sake of a couple of work days.

Around my bit of Lancashire the gritters have been out several times a day.

I gave Mrs BTJ the truck and I took the lovely shiny executive BMW because it’s awful in the snow. I managed to get to work on awful roads, where they had been gritted they were fine but the grit had been used sparingly! Had a few wiggles more for my pleasure than anything else. Got to work faffed about a bit, braved the bitter wind and -7 and rode first lot...only the all weather gallop had frozen ? came back via the sheep and horses and now I’m sat by the fire drinking coffee. I thought about going shooting but this fire is much more appealing!

We haven't had much snow in and around Ramsey but the roads have been well gritted. In spite of that, the wind last night was picking the snow off the fields and drifting it onto the roads quicker than the grit could melt it.

Last night the road between here and Warboys was blocked and it was blocked again at 05.30 this morning because as fast as it was cleared then the 20mph wind was drifting the snow back again.

I should have taken my wife to work at 05.30 this morning but she checked her facebook and there was posts to say that cars were stuck already so we stayed in bed.

In spite of man's ingenuity and technology, sometimes, nature has the last word.