School closures

team tractor

Am I being stupid or is it silly  that the schools are shut for the whole 1” of snow .we can still see the tarmac in Tamworth but the schools are shut. 

Truthfully the midlands as a whole has been missed this time.

i don’t know any other trade that’s off ??? 

I understand it’s the safety of my children but we have no snow . They will arrive at school, learn, stay indoors then go home. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been quite a bit of teacher bashing going on, my daughters school were going to a local high school tomorrow to do a sports event but its been cancelled as the school are predicting they will be shut, we have no snow but very high winds, and i doubt that most of the teachers are local to the school so there is a decent chance some teachers won't make it in.

Heathrow cancelled flights earlier in the week, just in case the weather was as bad as they expected.

We live on the Hereford/Gloucester border and our lads primary school is shut tomorrow yet the nursery part us still open. We have had a bit of snow but nothing much, I think it's down to how cold it is that they are shut more than the snow.

3 day weekend with the rugrats stuck in the house..... great :/

Problem is that any other job is expected to make it in. My little ones nursery is ran by mothers . Last time they refused to take  more than half of the kids due to staff shortages due to schools being shut for a tiny bit of snow again.

so roughly 20 mums had to ring their bosses and cancel. Then they do the same etc.

i understand if it was 6” of snow but I think we have 6mm possibly :/ 

Im just south of Bristol and its drifting pretty well here. But like one chap in Taunton (red warning zone) said, its just a bit of snow, get over it. Problem I think is now kids dont go to a "local" school, closest secondary school to me is 4miles away. Not just a walk down the road.. And my street is under about 5 inches of snow. This country isn't geared up for it. 

Today I tried to take my friend out for an indians, drove to the restaurant only to find it closed. Rang then, no answer? So sent a message and was told "due to severe weather" they wouldn't be open today but will be open tomorrow? Really? There is about half an inch of snow on the roads, I managed to drive over 50 miles innit today including through untreated areas and ended up driving a further 4 miles to a different restaurant that WAS open! They say they will be open tomorrow, blaming today's weather? But apparently they are for forecasting 10" tonight. Oh the other half will be well pleased with that forecast :lol: 

school closures are putting the staff at work under great pressure. Wed saw us 15 staff down, and again today was the same. Be hell on if we closed the retail sector for the "severe" 2cm of snow we have. It's a joke.

My Daughters school has been open everyday! (considering the snow here and most other schools in the area closed, a very good effort!) Although it has been optional as to whether you wanted to bring them in. But tomorrow they are closed due to "frozen pipes"?? I'm a bit lost as to what could be frozen today/ tomorrow that hasn't been frozen this week??  Don't suppose it has anything to do with it being Friday and a possible long weekend?? :hmm:

Funny this. 

I’m a teacher (loving the ‘bashing’ by the way) cos I’ve been off for the last 2 days and tomorrow. Not because the school wants to close but the PFI management company (insert labour or conservatives fault on that one).  Here is a few others I’ve seen. 

1. Bins not emptied

2. Amazon deliveries not happened

3. Bank closed

4. Pub closed

5. Shops closed 

6. Mrs tried to book a spa break for her mates closed 

7. Airport closed

9. Trains cancelled 

10. Gunshops closed  

I live 1 miles from the A1 closed between Morpeth and Berwick  traffic parked up for the night, the police have closed it.

Yip - all teachers fault  

LG- you seem keen on teacher bashing this last few days, why is that?  Have you had issues with your son’s school? Do you have an issue?  You’re in the north east, are you seeing something different to me?

Edited by markm

The problem that most people have with the ease that schools close is simply it has such an impact on so many other people that then have to take time off work to look after the children that should be in school. This then creates a domino effect and leads to other businesses being closed.

Thankfully the Police, Ambulance Service, Fire Brigade, Army, NHS Staff and the like are not so quick to give in.

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The problem that most people have with the ease that schools close is simply it has such an impact on so many other people that then have to take time off work to look after the children that should be in school. This then creates a domino effect and leads to other businesses being closed.

Thankfully the Police, Ambulance Service, Fire Brigade, Army, NHS Staff and the like are not so quick to give in.

Although I agree that it has a very  big knock on effect, as I said in my previous comment, schools are no longer local.. Its not a case of just walking down the road any more.  Ive just looked out and in the street im on id struggle to get out even in my LR. So people with say a corsa or a focus or any hatchback or family car are stuffed.. Why put yourself at risk. People have died due to these conditions, there is a video of a bus tank slapping, narrowly avoiding a car. 

Emergency services in my are have been hiring 4*4s so that they can carry on. And fair play to them, they are doing a great job. But mrs smith the science teacher in her sporty little rear wheel drive 1series would be dancing on ice trying to get to school.  

6 hours ago, markm said:

Funny this. 

I’m a teacher (loving the ‘bashing’ by the way) cos I’ve been off for the last 2 days and tomorrow. Not because the school wants to close but the PFI management company (insert labour or conservatives fault on that one).  Here is a few others I’ve seen. 

1. Bins not emptied

3. Bank closed

4. Pub closed

5. Shops closed 

7. Airport closed

9. Trains cancelled 

10. Gunshops closed  

I live 1 miles from the A1 closed between Morpeth and Berwick  traffic parked up for the night, the police have closed it.

Yip - all teachers fault  

LG- you seem keen on teacher bashing this last few days, why is that?  Have you had issues with your son’s school? Do you have an issue?  You’re in the north east, are you seeing something different to me?

I had amazon delivered yesterday, all shops open as all roads are clear.

i totally understand if we had snow over a few inches maybe but we really do have nothing. 

My mrs is heavily pregnant and still driving to the nursery and work . Our road network is clear. 

5 hours ago, Ollieollie said:

Im a brickie, off all week. Hope I’m not in trouble :)

Lol I did say to the lads at work yesterday that I’m glad I’m not a Brickie or roofer . 

Thats why Brickies earn good money as it’s never guaranteed work. You can be off 3 months a year.

6 hours ago, markm said:

Funny this. 

1. Bins not emptied

3. Bank closed

4. Pub closed

5. Shops closed 

7. Airport closed

9. Trains cancelled 

10. Gunshops closed  

Yip - all teachers fault  

Yes and I'll bet a lot of the same people who can't make it because of the snow ....... Will make it to a Ski resort.

Wife is a teacher in Durham, son is a teacher in Middlesbrough.

The schools are shut for no other reason than insurance/liability issues.  Nothing to do with the teachers, it' s the "compensation culture" that closes schools, not teachers.

I have been in work every day, left a little earlier, but in on time.

Poor **** on the A19 at Easington not so lucky.  19 car pile up and 36 seperate crashes in a 5 mile stretch.  Going to work can have dire consequences.

Imagine if the insurance companies tell these people that they were travelling against police advice and so their insurance was invalid!  It is going to happen, you can see it.

Then we will ALL be "teachers",

RS

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

5a98fa7e4485d_wp_ss_20180227_00011.png.63a82566c3330d961104203dd4d356b2.png

yes but she doesn't have to keep sending me her pics does Mrs smith

That is NOT Mrs Smith!:whistling:

4 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

Wife is a teacher in Durham, son is a teacher in Middlesbrough.

The schools are shut for no other reason than insurance/liability issues.  Nothing to do with the teachers, it' s the "compensation culture" that closes schools, not teachers.

I have been in work every day, left a little earlier, but in on time.

Poor **** on the A19 at Easington not so lucky.  19 car pile up and 36 seperate crashes in a 5 mile stretch.  Going to work can have dire consequences.

Imagine if the insurance companies tell these people that they were travelling against police advice and so their insurance was invalid!  It is going to happen, you can see it.

Then we will ALL be "teachers",

RS

And imagine if everyone stayed home rather than get in to work.

There is another downside to school closures, my OH works in NHS and several of the staff have phoned in to say they can't come to work because their children are at home.

Interesting to note the private school at the end of my road appears to be open

The van hire company we deal with sent us an email saying they are not letting any vehicles go out even if you have booked one

Edited by Vince Green

21 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And imagine if everyone stayed home rather than get in to work.

that would probably be a great idea for the sake of a few days.

other than police NHS fire care staff and probably a few others i haven't listed a few missed days during bad weather really is no big deal.

I drove home this morning in the worst wind I've ever driven in, car was getting rocked all over the place and the bonnet kept flexing like it was going to open, doing 50 on the Motorway, thankfully it was dry and no ice.

lots of roads closed around Lancs due to trees being down, m62 closed because of the winds, probably lots more going on i don't know about.

At school in the '60's and '70's, even though we from the town could get there, were sent home if the buses from the surrounding villages couldnt get through to collect them. I could simply nip through the hedge at the bottom of our garden and I was in one of the grammar school playgrounds, but still were sent home. We used to look forward to being snowed off. :)