Where to sell pigeons in Essex?

kitchrat

Following the demise of Hide and Deeks at Bishops Stortford, I have been struggling to sell pigeons. "Fortunately" I haven't shot many until the smashed-up maize-cover season this month. This year, the maize grew well, with lots of cobs and for once, the pigeons liked it!

The 1st Sunday, my team shot 155, which I took to Rigby's, for 25p each. However, with the traffic round Chelmsford etc, the round trip took me 3 hours and used half the cash on fuel. The next couple of weeks we had 75 and 120, filled our freezers with breasts and gave many birds away.

Does anyone know of a solution to the problems of successful pigeon shooting, nearer to Great Dunmow??

Many thanks, 

JK

• 3 weeks later...

It is a problem. I managed to sell some to a local butcher last year, but another one declined the offer and a 3rd said his licence did not allow him to take any meat from anything other than registered breaders, which sounds like conspiracy theories to make sure certain bods get their cut and nobody makes a couple quid without paying tax. We do eat a lot of pigeon and it can be quite versatile, but unlike a lot of you guys, I don't get anything like big numbers, 20 or 30 is a good outing for me. I'll keep looking for buyers though.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NYorks said:

I've had some luck dropping off birds with local pubs who are keen to put locally-sourced food on their menues. I give them for free and the three pubs that I regularly approach will usually take upto a couple of dozen or more.  Hope this helps.

Thanks to you all for your ideas.  I never got a reply from Howletts. Pubs can work but usually Health and Safety rules prevent them taking birds legally (at least that's what they think), same with butchers.. In addition, I hate driving about, spending time and fuel, to give away something that will appear on the menu for £7.99.

Keep thinking please!!

On 28/03/2018 at 15:39, kenholland said:

seem to have this problem up and the country , just lately , the poor old pigeon shooter does is bit , then struggles to sell , I thought them over the water cannot get enough  of them ? ANY SUGGESTIONS  LADS .

I have pretty much stopped shooting Pigeons now since Garetts closed in Northants.

Anyone know of any dealers who want pigeons around here?

On 17/04/2018 at 18:46, kenholland said:

shame about that cloudwalker . you should not have to stop shooting pigeons carn't you carry on and just freeze the breast meat.

I used to shoot about 1000 pigeons a year. This year just over 50 and I have enough pigeon breast in the freezer to last me a while.