Just a teaser .....................

Walker570

This might help.  I was given a couple of pieces of leather a while ago and I thought I would see how it performs. Then I saw a youtbe video of a guy making a 'pancake' type sheath with a wooden insert for the knife blade. I had a neat little knife already made but no sheath, so thought to combine the two.  Hope it all works out because I want the recipient to be a happy bunny.

2018-03-02 15.32.08 (800x450).jpg

15 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Front side of sheath just out of the mould.  The upper section I have left long so I can trim to size as required.

2018-03-02 15.56.29 (552x800).jpg

12 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Marked up and ready to stitch.

2018-03-02 18.50.18 (800x550).jpg

Wow! I've got to read up on how that's done

Easy Peesy.... Piece of backing board. Another piece of board as thick as you need the impression/sheath to be. Mark out the outline of the knife on this board and cut that shape out. Then mark a line the thickness of your leather around the edge of the edge of the shape in the board, run round this with saw and remove.  Then sand down the edges of the 'knife' shape on the side which is going into the mould so they are round and smooth.  Find another piece of board which will go on top of all this to compress the shape into the mould when the leather is between.  Soak the leather in water, I put a spot of washing up liquid in as this seems to lubricate the leather and let it slide into the mould without scratching.  Place this leather over the  mould so it will all fit nicely, then the 'knife' then the top board and then clamp it all tightly together either in vice jaws or as I do with a couple of G clamps. That way I can take the whole thing into the kitchen and either put it on a very low heat in the oven or as last night near the log burner for a couple of hours to dry. When absolutely dry take it out of the mould and trim.

The deer head was impressed as I put a brass pin in the bottom of the mould, see photo.

2018-03-03 08.00.52 (800x515).jpg

Edited by Walker570

Looking very nice. Thanks for your explanation of the moulding, the couple of sheaths that I have made I used cling film around the finished knife and clamped the damp leather edges together and left over night in the bottom of the airing cupboard. I liked the idea of the pressed deer logo.

Yes you can use the knife as we used to when making holsters for pistols in the good old days. The above system allows you to add impressions as the deer head very easily and some knives have deep dinger slots which don't slide easily.  There again you can still make that work.  Have a look at the sheat I made for the auction knife and you will see the top part is formed to the shape of the handle keeping it secure.  I have never made a 'pancake' style sheath before so just wanted to run one up and see what mistakes I make:).