Which steel cartridges are you using ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70mm cartridge I really like the fiocchi 32g no4s they are lethal on ducks! The 35g are not so lethal but are unfortunately more readily available I’d try to avoid them where possible! 

Perfectly adequate for pigeons are the rc3 28g 5s they are pretty cheap as they are on;y 1oz of Steel 

2 hours ago, johnnytheboy said:

70mm cartridge I really like the fiocchi 32g no4s they are lethal on ducks! The 35g are not so lethal but are unfortunately more readily available I’d try to avoid them where possible! 

Perfectly adequate for pigeons are the rc3 28g 5s they are pretty cheap as they are on;y 1oz of Steel 

The 35gm loads are plenty lethal enough.

Eley lightening 32g 3s or 36g 3s found they kill well and bit too much recoil

gamebore 36g 3s are also good but have a thump.

did try bornaghi 36s 1s but found them a bit severe and caused my previous gun to double discharge which was painful

18 hours ago, Big Mat said:

NSI steel loads have done well for me this season, 38 grams of 2s on duck ( doubling up as a goose cartridge if needs be )

I wouldn't want to eat those ducks!! I use homeload 32g 4's for duck but when shooting pigeons I just use VIP 32g 5 because I can get them cheap

3 hours ago, tomaddy525 said:

I wouldn't want to eat those ducks!! I use homeload 32g 4's for duck but when shooting pigeons I just use VIP 32g 5 because I can get them cheap

Never had any that are not edible, 2s are excellent on high flighting duck. 

The beauty of 2s is, if I goose flys by, I don't need to change cartridges 

Well said Motty.

We all know that steel cartridges use a plastic wad but it is`nt these wads that are causing ecological problems.

I recently watched on a Facebook shooting page whilst a handful of self righteous fibre wad zealots whipped themselves up into a frenzy that practically resulted in the wildfowling steel shot baby being thrown out with the anti plastic bath water.

We`d all love to use plastic wads with steel shot. At the moment we can`t. The world won`t end if we carry on shooting plastic wads and there are a dozen other sources of plastic pollutants that ARE causing a problem. Devote your time to dealing with them first.

Edited by mudpatten

3 hours ago, itchy trigger said:

strange, why use steel other than to comply with the law, littering the countryside with plastic wads when you should be using fibre.

falconers need pigeon shot with non toxic loads for feeding to baby falcons.

and should i see a plaswad-i pick it up.

f.

4 hours ago, itchy trigger said:

strange, why use steel other than to comply with the law, littering the countryside with plastic wads when you should be using fibre.

I personally think all steel cartridges should be loaded with photodegradable wads, there is no reason why not to, the wads are manufactured and easy to get hold of

On 3/2/2018 at 18:25, AlexBee said:

Which steel cartridges are you guys using for pigeons ( and for ducks in the season ) ? 

Want to try some to get used to before next season .

If your objective is to use the same steel cartridge for duck and pigeon then I can understand your question.

The move to steel is fashion based bull****. Why do this? There are some very knowledgable wise old boys on here that know lead is superior and won't **** your gun up.

At this rate all the cartridge manufacturers are going to churn out more and more steel. Game shooters don't want this or do they?

Steel isn't made for our lovely english guns, past or present. So think about it a bit and protect the "pro lead" brigade and the upturn in English gun manufacturing. Sometimes modern man thinks change is progress and in this instance it is not.                 

18 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

If your objective is to use the same steel cartridge for duck and pigeon then I can understand your question.

The move to steel is fashion based ********. Why do this? There are some very knowledgable wise old boys on here that know lead is superior and won't **** your gun up.

At this rate all the cartridge manufacturers are going to churn out more and more steel. Game shooters don't want this or do they?

Steel isn't made for our lovely english guns, past or present. So think about it a bit and protect the "pro lead" brigade and the upturn in English gun manufacturing. Sometimes modern man thinks change is progress and in this instance it is not.                 

Anyone using steel shot is not doing it for fashion reasons! And please, stop it with the "steel shot ruins guns" rhetoric!

19 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

The move to steel is fashion based ********. Why do this? There are some very knowledgable wise old boys on here that know lead is superior and won't **** your gun up.

It is progress, you're just too stuck in the past to see it.

The cost of a few guns as opposed to not poisoning wildlife. I know what is a contentious point but it has been proved that lead is harmful to wildlife if ingested.

We have to mover forward!

3 minutes ago, motty said:

Anyone using steel shot is not doing it for fashion reasons! And please, stop it with the "steel shot ruins guns" rhetoric!

I think we're wasting our time, no matter how much it is proved about steel not ruining guns, it'll never be enough for these guys!

Just now, motty said:

No way.

Shoot steel through the "wrong" gun with the wrong choke(s). Let's be sensible Motty?

The use of steel is gaining pace and just because you may not own an old traditional english SXS built for the lead cartridge doesn't mean you should trash other sportsman that do. Or is it some thing else with you?