Which steel cartridges are you using ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As cookie says make em, 

A couple of years ago I posted on here about American E shot, which for home loaders that dont like steel seem to be ideal, heavier than lead, loaded as lead [fibre wads etc]  and for use in your old Purdeys, the loads did kill on the few occasions i was on target. If anyones interested i will do a few patterns and penetration comparisons 

http://www.bucksrunsports.com/Reloading_Specialties_Inc/New!_American_Shot.html

48 minutes ago, grahamch said:

Have tried 3 or 4 makes of steel RC, Eley, Gamebore and Hull on duck, pheasant, crows and geese and not had a clean kill.

l wont shoot steel due to that so will really have no alternative to packing up unless bismuth goose loads are available

That is what is known as "operator error".

42 minutes ago, grahamch said:

Dont think so. All is fine with lead, itm etc

How do you explain several shots with steel without a clean kill? How do you explain the countless thousands of others who use it with no such problems?

5 hours ago, grahamch said:

Dont think so. All is fine with lead, itm etc

I was initially sceptical about steel, but I've found it very effective and if the right load is used it kills cleanly at the maximum ranges that I want to shoot at.  I also occasionally use Bismuth which I like,  but I'm not so sure about ITM having had mixed results with this to date.  Suspect it's a patterning issue and I'll do some more (expensive) work on this over the summer.

One man's meat is another man's poison etc...

Im no fan of steel but shooting waterfowl i use gamebore steel as its the law and one other thing All these experts gun traders/ PW Members etc who say your gun has to be steel proofed to shot any kind of steel shot STRANGE i put 36g steel through my AYA NO3 Magnum made 1979 every wildfowling season here in N Irealand never had any barrels scored damaged etc I Think theres a lot of shooters who read stories out there then panic :ninja:

Guest cookoff013

Gerry.

There are potentially 2 versions of cartridges. Those 740map and 1050map, that's HP. 

I'm betting your gun is suitable the former. HP shells can have a map of up to 1050bar, but I can guess they are lower. 

I'm not being disrespectful, maybe 10% of shooters actually know about steel shot / HP / whatever. There are a few posts come up and it is clear there is minimal education, regarding shells.

That's a fact.

What grade shells are you using?

5 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

Gerry.

There are potentially 2 versions of cartridges. Those 740map and 1050map, that's HP. 

I'm betting your gun is suitable the former. HP shells can have a map of up to 1050bar, but I can guess they are lower. 

I'm not being disrespectful, maybe 10% of shooters actually know about steel shot / HP / whatever. There are a few posts come up and it is clear there is minimal education, regarding shells.

That's a fact.

What grade shells are you using?

The 36gm are classed as HP.

Ok then with this talk of steel proof. I have recently bought a steel proof Fabarm S/A with lots of chokes,  all chokes tighter than modified, have "not suitable for steel", stamped on them,  is this the makers being over cautious and can i stick some BB through the full..;)

16 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Ok then with this talk of steel proof. I have recently bought a steel proof Fabarm S/A with lots of chokes,  all chokes tighter than modified, have "not suitable for steel", stamped on them,  is this the makers being over cautious and can i stick some BB through the full..;)

seriously?

6 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Would that be with the Exis or Inner HP tubes mate,  as I said most of the chokes supplied are explicitly marked as not suitable for steel

I would get external chokes for using BB. I would 100% use full, then.

5 minutes ago, motty said:

I would get external chokes for using BB. I would 100% use full, then.

I'm not a fan of Big shot so hardly use it But Motty is correct if you look on some extra full chokes they state as suitable.

I've also had the Steel full ( eg ) miced up and they are the same constriction as a Full Lead

I think I need to buy the Exis [trade name] chokes in light full and full if it differs from the 2 modified that are said to be full steel that i already have. It was always my intention to load and pattern shot sizes bb to 4 through all the chokes that came with gun, I expect it will take some time  :yes: Thanks for all info 

Mines an older Eurolion which I think is proofed 1370 bar,  one of the reasons i bought it [rfd] was because it has 8 chokes and i was keen to do some experimenting, regarding shot size, patterns, penetration etc, unfortunately i found that all chokes over 1/2 or modified  were not suitable for steel