A Friendly Warning.

johng

10 hours ago, motty said:

I am sure that most credible guides would have their own insurances or at least insist that clients have the relevant insurance.

I am glad that I don't have to rely on guides for shooting.

As has already been said, any guide worth his salt would have plan B, C and D up his sleeve. During harvest, I would be almost able to guarantee a reasonable day in the field on my patch, so a guide should be able to.

Their are no doubt some very good and dedicated guides up and down the country ,( although I haven't heard of any in Norfolk ) who go beyond the call of duty to provide the guest or client with a day that he have done his best to give them the maximum amount of shooting , as we all know there are times when for no logical reason the pigeons don't play ball on the day we want them to , but a good guide could rest assured he had done his best, and with the quarry being wild birds he can only so much.

We are lucky we don't have to rely on the service of a guide , but there are a lot of willing pigeon shooters about who haven't got the time , the land , the pigeons and people who would like to try somewhere different.

For most of them above the only way is to pay for the services of a guide , with this being a pigeon forum a lot of members must had bought a day , now we have heard from ( johng ) about his day that was dismal to say the least , now we want to hear about the good guys , it would help any members who are thinking of buying a day and also do the named guide a bit of good which should result in a bit of extra work .

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post and points marsh man. I have thought of booking a day before, but it's the leap into the unknown factor that's put me off. How about starting a new thread "Guided pigeon shooting experiences", so that people can flesh this out with their experiences both good and bad naming names?

Edited by TriBsa

I`ve been reading peoples experiences of guided pigeon days here,and elsewhere for years now and struggle to recall a happy ending ! Several guides who appeared to have a pro operation subsequently were proven by events to be anything but .Once money and eager customers appear ,they seem to be `done over` fairly consistently by these `guides` sadly. I`ve personally known people who have shot LOTS of pigeons with guides but they also handed over a large amount of cash!!!

Continental customers seem to get the better days ,as they are perhaps better targets financially,so to speak.....

I often take friends out decoying but still worry whether they get a good day ,despite it costing them nothing more than time .I`ve also had many great days with friends on their places too and they have the same sentiments,lo

32 minutes ago, matone said:

I`ve been reading peoples experiences of guided pigeon days here,and elsewhere for years now and struggle to recall a happy ending ! Several guides who appeared to have a pro operation subsequently were proven by events to be anything but .Once money and eager customers appear ,they seem to be `done over` fairly consistently by these `guides` sadly. I`ve personally known people who have shot LOTS of pigeons with guides but they also handed over a large amount of cash!!!

Continental customers seem to get the better days ,as they are perhaps better targets financially,so to speak.....

I often take friends out decoying but still worry whether they get a good day ,despite it costing them nothing more than time .I`ve also had many great days with friends on their places too and they have the same sentiments,lo

I think you have it the nail on the head with the ones with the large amount of cash.

the guides Will put these on the pigeons as this is more profitable

I’m know pigeon guided but I no my land when I put the muck on the fields they are gray with pigeons when I drill the spring barley they are all over it and then again at harvest.

So a good pigeon guided will no this also and give the good land to the ones with the cash.

ive got some lads coming on Saturday the muck will be spread on Thursday and Friday and will be ploughed with in the next two to three weeks so they should get a good 6 to 7 weeks at them.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

If anyone is tempted to use a guide arrange to pay them at the end of the day. That way dissatisfaction can be voiced and deductions made and the guide has to turn up to get his money.

Would agree,and if that arrangement isn`t acceptable to the guide probably a fortunate escape.

2 hours ago, JDog said:

If anyone is tempted to use a guide arrange to pay them at the end of the day. That way dissatisfaction can be voiced and deductions made and the guide has to turn up to get his money.

That might work with a one man band type of guide , but I don't think you would get away with that if it was through a sporting agency .

I think it would work on the same terms as booking a days game shooting where you would leave a deposit after booking the day and then pay in full say ten days before the day takes place.

On the day itself , if you then think the guide have done his best you could give him a tip as he would be getting paid by the agency , this would be the same as giving a keeper a tip if you think he had done his best , one way or the other it could still end up a dear ole day. 

No point in iffing and butting about the situation being discussed. This was a 'rip off' on a grand scale probably by an 'amateur' not up to the job.  Amazing that as this has now been running for what, 72hrs plus and no response from the 'agent'.    Lesson learned and sometimes we have to pay to do it.

Edited by Walker570

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Several posters have mentioned that the guide has not been around to offer an explanation, have they been PM'd so that they can give their side of the story?

They have been on but not commented, but bid next door on Decoys.

Hi all,

We have only just come across this forum post, a member messaged us to let us know (thank you!) as I've  been so busy I haven't managed to have a look, so sorry about the delay! Please do personally message us if you need to ask anything, as I'll get a email and reply asap but forum posts are a little harder to keep track of. 

I have spoken to my director who has confirmed there was plenty of birds about the week before you went but unfortunately you had a bad day and we apologize for this. We put our trust in these guides who give us the dates/price and promise us the birds as well as the customers. If anyone else has experienced a bad day please do get in touch and i'll do my best to sort it out, we don't purposefully 'rip' people off.

The BASC guide who took you out was Nick Richards, he contacted us after your day to say he'd be in contact with you when there were some pigeons about and he'd give you a day this year. We're guessing there is nothing about yet so is waiting until there is and he'll let you know. When the customer called he spoke to my director who confirmed this and Nick/or us will be in touch as soon as any birds are about.

Nicks number is 07880 554 843, if you want to give him a reminder. 

Hope this helps,

Aimee @ A1

Edited by A1Decoy

20 minutes ago, A1Decoy said:

Hi all,

We have only just come across this forum post, a member messaged us to let us know (thank you!) as I've  been so busy I haven't managed to have a look, so sorry about the delay! Please do personally message us if you need to ask anything, as I'll get a email and reply asap but forum posts are a little harder to keep track of. 

I have spoken to my director who has confirmed there was plenty of birds about the week before you went but unfortunately you had a bad day and we apologize for this. We put our trust in these guides who give us the dates/price and promise us the birds as well as the customers. If anyone else has experienced a bad day please do get in touch and i'll do my best to sort it out, we don't purposefully 'rip' people off.

The BASC guide who took you out was Nick Richards, he contacted us after your day to say he'd be in contact with you when there were some pigeons about and he'd give you a day this year. We're guessing there is nothing about yet so is waiting until there is and he'll let you know. However his number is 07880 554 843, if you want to give him a reminder. 

Hope this helps,

Aimee @ A1

The fella says he rang you 4 times and its now 6 months on.  Doesn't seem like your bothered particularly, he booked with you not the guide.  He shouldn't have to be chasing you should he ?.......I wouldn't be happy either

2 hours ago, Bell said:

The fella says he rang you 4 times and its now 6 months on.  Doesn't seem like your bothered particularly, he booked with you not the guide.  He shouldn't have to be chasing you should he ?.......I wouldn't be happy either

Yes, the customer rang us a few times and spoke to my director who promised a free days shooting when some birds are about (after March) and will stick to his word.. Nick will let us know when there is a decent day about and will contacts us/ the customer.

We haven't heard from the customer for a while, as our director left it with him that we'd call him when we get confirmation of a good day.  My director was dealing with this so reporting back what I've been told as I don't deal with the pigeon shooting side of things. 

If the customer messages me with his full name and number, I'll contact Nick myself and see if we can arrange something. 

Aimee @ A1

Edited by A1Decoy

I would like to thank A1 for finally replying and I will get in touch. Just to point out that I was  promised another day but at no time did anyone I spoke to mention AFTER MARCH. If they had then why would I have started this post when I did ? I would have waited until after March to post it.  Anyway I would like to thank all the members who have shown support and wished me luck

3 hours ago, johng said:

I would like to thank A1 for finally replying and I will get in touch. Just to point out that I was  promised another day but at no time did anyone I spoke to mention AFTER MARCH. If they had then why would I have started this post when I did ? I would have waited until after March to post it.  Anyway I would like to thank all the members who have shown support and wished me luck

That would have seemed a long while to wait from early August till after March , surely an agency would have pigeon shooting on beans , wheat and Autumn drillings , lets hope when you finally get another day they pull out all the stops and you report back saying what a brilliant day you had , or is that just wishful thinking .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

That would have seemed a long while to wait from early August till after March , surely an agency would have pigeon shooting on beans , wheat and Autumn drillings , lets hope when you finally get another day they pull out all the stops and you report back saying what a brilliant day you had , or is that just wishful thinking .

i was thinking the same if they do guided pigeon shooting surely they have plenty of land with different crops grown and chances to be had AFTER AUGUST

but what still gets me is the guide made no attempt to move the guy to another field or area, just dropped him off  took his money and left him there

31 minutes ago, johng said:

I will be sure to let you know  a)  if it happens  and  b) If I have a reasonable day.

Interesting to note that A1 Decoy no longer advertise Pigeon days on their website..? Plenty of Wild Boar shooting, but no Pigeon shooting, perhaps you're not the first shooter that's been shafted..?

Anyway, if you've been shooting as long as you say you have, then you'll be sensible enough to take your own gear and wait for a few minutes before setting up to see if there are indeed birds flighting into the field..?

"Once bitten" comes to mind..?

Cat.

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 18:53, marsh man said:

There must be several members on here who have been with some very good guides , a good guide cant always produce a good bag pigeons , they can only do there best with the land and the crops available at the time the guest(s) are coming ,

So it would be good if they let the forum know what sort of day they had , not necessarily how many pigeons they shot but how good a guide he ( or she ) was , like from the time he met you , showing you any flight lines , foot paths , land boundaries , if he kept in touch during the day........ and so on .

We hear about the bad days , now lets hear about some of the good days. 

I had a day with a guide about 7 years ago due to the fact there virtually nothing to go at in my area very rare that's happens by the way, but I was on rape in early april  I met the guide at the field  and he said you will shoot birds here,  them trees just over there are a good spot, it was downwind so I set up other end of the field upwind and where a few were flighting to, I did shoot birds  28 all day for about 34 shots, so it wasn't poor shooting from me, he  did come back half way through and I said to him  its not really happening its very slow, they will they will turn up he said, they didn't it continued to be slow and I was a bit peeved rest of the day 

he told me  at the end  I don't understand there was hundreds the other day and last week when I shot over 100 on it he knew I was booked in and due to shoot yet he personally shot the same field    it was a diy day so didn't cost a lot about £70 I paid him   but I left without saying goodbye or shaking hands 

21 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

i was thinking the same if they do guided pigeon shooting surely they have plenty of land with different crops grown and chances to be had AFTER AUGUST

but what still gets me is the guide made no attempt to move the guy to another field or area, just dropped him off  took his money and left him there

Could well be that after johng had his day any new clients would get priority as they would be getting cash instead of organising a day for nothing , wrong I know , but that might be the way they work , leaving it a good length of time and hoping it will just be forgot about .

I wonder how many more have been left the same , or on the other hand , how many have had a very good day without leaving any feed back on sites like this , come to that , have they got feedback on there website ?