BASC Hockwold stalking scheme

plank06

Evening lads, 

Went down to Hockwold for a PM stalk yesterday afternoon. 

The Stalker/ Guide was a brilliant chap, it was my second stalk after an unsuccessful first, so was after my first deer.  Had to do a small range test, just checking safety and shooting ability etc. 100yards rested and then did 3 shots off the sticks ( first time using sticks) nice thumbnail group!

travelled a short distance away and onto a forestry track to begin the stalk, plenty of conversation so already enjoying the experience!   Small briefing on the protocol when a deer is spotted and safety of members of public are seen etc. Spotted a small Muntjac doe and managed to calm the nerves enough to get a shot off,  perfect shot, dropped on the spot. 1st deer after 20mins! 

Was talked through gralloching as it was done and learnt a lot! 

Then moved to a different woodland block.  Stalked for approx 20-30 mins glassing regularly into the cover, and spotted another munty through the trees approx 80yards, a quick shot and the deer dropped perfectly to the shot, another clean kill!  Upon inspection it was a very nice buck!  Having the skull stripped and prepped for a shield to commemorate the day and experience. We hung this one up and carried on stalking for another hour although no more safe shots presented themselves, but saw plenty more Muntjac, also saw a couple of Roe in a fenced off area.  Overall fantastic set up for a beginner or experienced stalker alike,  was made to feel very welcome and learnt an awful lot, my next stalk can’t come quick enough!  

30 minutes ago, plank06 said:

Evening lads, 

The Stalker/ Guide was a brilliant chap, it was my second stalk after an unsuccessful first, so was after my first deer.  Had to do a small range test, just checking safety and shooting ability etc. 100yards rested and then did 3 shots off the sticks ( first time using sticks) nice thumbnail group!

travelled a short distance away and onto a forestry track to begin the stalk, plenty of conversation so already enjoying the experience!   Small briefing on the protocol when a deer is spotted and safety of members of public are seen etc. Spotted a small Muntjac doe and managed to calm the nerves enough to get a shot off,  perfect shot, dropped on the spot. 1st deer after 20mins! 

Then moved to a different woodland block.  Stalked for approx 20-30 mins glassing regularly into the cover, and spotted another munty through the trees approx 80yards, a quick shot and the deer dropped perfectly to the shot, another clean kill!  Upon inspection it was a very nice buck!  Having the skull stripped and prepped for a shield to commemorate the day and experience. We hung this one up and carried on stalking for another hour although no more safe shots presented themselves, but saw plenty more Muntjac, also saw a couple of Roe in a fenced off area.  Overall fantastic set up for a beginner or experienced stalker alike,  was made to feel very welcome and learnt an awful lot, my next stalk can’t come quick enough!  

sounds like a great day. well done on your first deer.

1 hour ago, plank06 said:

Evening lads, 

That's a bloody good result then. 

Glad you enjoyed it  

10 hours ago, plank06 said:

Evening lads, 

well done on the muntys 

i'am about 6 miles away from hockwold and i'am sure there are more of them about than rabbits at the moment.