Pointless Madness

fatchap

Yesterday I had quite an easy day at work, most building sites where shut or the company I was delivering to blew the day out, but one site I did have was open the main contractor has the same name as a spice and are a pain  in the butt to deliver to, some trades on here may know who I am referring to.

Anyway I was delivering to a M&E company called Hallsion on this site, I only had 4 panels of Harras fencing to drop off, usually a quick in and out job, but not today. Hallsions blokes where as usual waiting for me when I arrived, I was banked on site, put on my PPE and proceeded to unload the fencing, at which point I was told to stop as I have to wait.............for health and safety to do a risk assessment as there was snow on the ground..:hmm:

After 20 mins this rather stout woman in brand new hard hat, boots, Hi Viz and safety goggles, armed with a clipboard walks over to my van, its an open back van so really should be no problem at all with the unloading. She then proceeds to launch into a barrage of pointless questions.

How much does each panel weigh?

Do I need a forklift or crane?

How far will you be carrying them?

Is it a two man lift?.

Are they fire proof?

Have I the appropriate certs for said plant?............

To name a few

Anyway after discussing the massive undertaking of unloading 4 panels of harras fencing with me and hallsion she decided that it was unsafe to carry them to where hallsion wanted them put and stacking them up against the nearby skip was far safer. And they where warned not to touch them if they thought she might not notice as she had taken pictures of their location and Hallsion would need to book the forklift or crane to move them in the current weather conditions.

Nearly an hour I was there for. Stupid nanny state we live now. Making simple jobs as hard and as inconvenient as they possibly can. Its little wonder sites over run on completion by months, when trades cannot carry out their jobs without  losing half a day filling out  in triplicate risk assessments.

PATHETIC !!!!!!    Sorry but I would have told her to go take a leak off. Like the local authority up in the pennines where some farmers and contractors took it on themseleves to be good citizens and clear the road. Local clip board carrier turned up and ordered them to stop as they were not authorised contractors...... are we going down the pan or what.

Another war and we would be a push over.

Edited by Walker570

It’s all mental. I have some good lads at work who don’t moan. We’ve sat and talked about this regularly and we all agree in my trade( joiner) that we will get covered in dust as we have to empty the extractor bags still off the machine.

we will get splinters

we have to lift heavy planks 

your always cutting yourself on chisels, saws , knives etc.

i enforce dust masks , ear defenders even if I do get moaned at.

All machines must have guards on.

all my machines are the latest spec .

I’m crazy about cleaning the floor for trip hazards but it’s common sense.

My cousins husband has just sold his company for millions (£10+) and I said to him but it’s all common sense.

if the floors wet you dry it etc

he death stared me out of his house :) . 

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

Yesterday I had quite an easy day at work, most building sites where shut or the company I was delivering to blew the day out, but one site I did have was open the main contractor has the same name as a spice and are a pain  in the butt to deliver to, some trades on here may know who I am referring to.

Anyway I was delivering to a M&E company called Hallsion on this site, I only had 4 panels of Harras fencing to drop off, usually a quick in and out job, but not today. Hallsions blokes where as usual waiting for me when I arrived, I was banked on site, put on my PPE and proceeded to unload the fencing, at which point I was told to stop as I have to wait.............for health and safety to do a risk assessment as there was snow on the ground..

After 20 mins this rather stout woman in brand new hard hat, boots, Hi Viz and safety goggles, armed with a clipboard walks over to my van, its an open back van so really should be no problem at all with the unloading. She then proceeds to launch into a barrage of pointless questions.

How much does each panel weigh?

Do I need a forklift or crane?

How far will you be carrying them?

Is it a two man lift?.

Are they fire proof?

Have I the appropriate certs for said plant?............

To name a few

Anyway after discussing the massive undertaking of unloading 4 panels of harras fencing with me and hallsion she decided that it was unsafe to carry them to where hallsion wanted them put and stacking them up against the nearby skip was far safer. And they where warned not to touch them if they thought she might not notice as she had taken pictures of their location and Hallsion would need to book the forklift or crane to move them in the current weather conditions.

Nearly an hour I was there for. Stupid nanny state we live now. Making simple jobs as hard and as inconvenient as they possibly can. Its little wonder sites over run on completion by months, when trades cannot carry out their jobs without  losing half a day filling out  in triplicate risk assessments.

I met this many times before I retired - these big main contractors use H&S as a weapon to slow down (particularly M&E)  contractors if it looks at all like they are likely to "show them up" - I even had a controls commissioning engineer thrown off site because he took his glove off to operate the touch pad on his lap top whilst finalizing the set up of the BMS in a completed control office:no:

If you had slipped while carrying the fence panels,hurt your back or hit your head and suffered badly you would be on here moaning at the complete lack of hse.

Sometimes its a pain but there to protect you and them from litigation.

A couple of sets of Mini crampons soundslike the answer. I am likewise often on site and the ppe is for normal conditions as whilst most protective boots are ok, they suffer in snow/mud.
For winter condtions i have the above which provide great traction and simply slip over my boots.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07731Y4NM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520067384&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Mini%2Bcrampons&dpPl=1&dpID=51McweDTGyL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Get them written into your rams

Edited by Stonepark

Once on a site with no power and the generator had gone down I was refused entry because it was unsafe because there was no lighting.

Made no difference when I explained that I was there to fix the generator! 

H&S is important but it does seem to be a bit of a breading ground for jobs worths.

Edited by bluesj

1 hour ago, figgy said:

If you had slipped while carrying the fence panels,hurt your back or hit your head and suffered badly you would be on here moaning at the complete lack of hse.

Sometimes its a pain but there to protect you and them from litigation.

This. 

It's all a reaction to the claims culture whereby anyone in a shunt has whiplash and anyone who slips over has speed dialled an injury lawyer before they hit the ground.

10 minutes ago, bigman said:

Been scaffolding in it all week , but then us scaffs are hard as nails 

been told to go home twice by site manager as it's too cold , jog on son 

Fair play. 

I’m currently in the workshop carrying on as normal.

i can understand if you cant stand up but a bit of cold is fine by me. I have 2 T shirts on, fleece, coat, long johns , boots :) 

1 hour ago, Zapp said:

This. 

It's all a reaction to the claims culture whereby anyone in a shunt has whiplash and anyone who slips over has speed dialled an injury lawyer before they hit the ground.

Bang on the money .

Everyone that ever rubbed their hands together at the thought of a claim , has played their part in the way that our lives are run .

I work for the local authority, at some point during every work day , I do the most ridiculous things , it costs the ratepayers a fortune ,and makes me or my guys look like idiots , we have to do stupid things either because, someone will have tried to claim compensation from the council , or they've complained to the council.

Fair play some lads have a cracking work ethic, but I’m glad we have H&S for the most part. 

Seen some of the “gore video” groups on Facebook and work accidents are some of the biggest videos. 

Jesus, you can see theirs not the right gear, no emergency stop buttons etc etc 

when the site manager tells you to go home it’s not because he doesn’t want to do any work - it’s because if you slip on ice and come off you won’t be going home to your families. 

An old boss of mine decided that the first letter of PPE was personal so it was up to us to buy it. but not on company time.

Current bosses attitude is nothing we do is worth breaking a sweat over let alone getting hurt for and if you need something to make the job safer/easier, grab some cash from the safe and go get it and a spare one well your at it. 

Edited by bluesj

H&S is an annoyance when you think it's not needed but........a godsend when you do! It protects the vulnerable/stupid against both themselves and the unscrupulous who would compromise peoples welfare, health and safety, for their own gain!....get rid of it and who does it really hurt? 

Likewise, the compensation culture is misused by the unscrupulous to claim what they are not entitled to, whereas compensation is rightly available to those that deserve it!.....get rid of it and who does it really hurt? 

Just more example of the unscrupulous few spoiling things for the many!

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

PATHETIC !!!!!!    Sorry but I would have told her to go take a leak off. Like the local authority up in the pennines where some farmers and contractors took it on themseleves to be good citizens and clear the road. Local clip board carrier turned up and ordered them to stop as they were not authorised contractors...... are we going down the pan or what.

Another war and we would be a push over.

Agree Agree, well over the top but it probably keeps some lamebrain wealthy. My delivery driving ended some years ago (Foam products) and in the latter years
a HiViz jacket was all I ever had to put up with.