Rod Building

Jonty

Has anyone here ever made their own rod? I've just ordered a blank for a 10ft 2wt to make my own nymphing rod.  I've never made one before so any top tips or links to good suppliers would be welcome.  It'll be a while before I start on it due to the potential,of the wife killing me if I don't get the new shed built first so any links to good info resources would also be appreciated to give me something to read in the interim.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made half a dozen or so, you need tons of patience but if you fly fish you should have that anyway.

These days the answer to just about every question is YouTube, I am sure there are tutorials on there, but my advice would be to search out the rod building section on flyforums. Don't be put off by the fact most peoples work is immaculate, some of them have been doing this a long time.

Put some pictures up when your bits arrive I would be interested to see how you get on, there are bound to be others on here who can offer advice.

hello, is it a 2 piece 10 foot rod or ? will you use single or 2 leg rod eyes apart from the tip and bottom, the secret is getting the eyes lined up.  11 eyes include tip, spaced from tip ring, 4 1/2 / 10 / 16 1/2 /24 / 32 1/2 42 / 52 1/2 / 64 76 1/2 / 90 in inches, strip of sellotatape one side of ring, piece of string through eyes to get correct alignment, whip other side, take off sellotape and whip, check alignment and varnish, i always used a dull varnish, use decent whipping and a holder like in fly tying,  i glued the tip ring on and put the handle on  then use the fly line as per string,  its a good feeling catching a trout on a rod you make up, i did a shorty for my son when he was about 8 for the local brook, now 43 he still uses it. good luck  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

In the distant past I've assembled a few, from a brook fly rod to a Salmon spinner, I used to use Hardy fibatube blanks, but don't think you can get them now, for a fly rod I usually used Fujis or Seymo for stripping and tip rings, and I liked American high snake rings for those intermediates in between! Suggested ring spacings are usually provided with the blank/kit instructions, but if not, I'm sure you could find the info via a google search? As others say it's not difficult just take your time, research it, and crack on.

I've restored a few splitcane, as said plenty patience is needed, always toyed with the idea of making my own nymph rod.

Streamflex XF2 11ft 3* is my go to ATM, excellent rod for nymphing but have always wanted to go lighter, so 2* might be an option.

Don't think I can be ***** with the Tenkara route.....

Curious...which blank did you buy.?

Thanks for all the feedback and info chaps, much appreciated.  I will put some pics when I do start it, it'll be a while though as I have some other jobs to do, I just picked the blank up whilst I had a bit of spare cash in the PayPal kitty.

bazooka Joe it was a NexTackle blank from eBay, shipped from Bulgaria.... They're only £30-£40 and I'd rather start off on something cheap to make the mistakes etc on.

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

watched a programme a long time ago on the building of a split cane rod.............what a joy that was...such skill..............

I hve an elderly neighbour whose house is stuffed with an amazing combination of antiques and junk, it really is a spectacular sight.  I recently helped him tune a new tv in, whilst in his front room I counted at least 40 rods, all in tubes or bags in the corner of the room. When I mentioned them he spent an hour started showing me a selection of them, they were mainly hardy split cane rods, I'm no expert but some were very old.....it was a pleasure to see and hold them, but also a shame to think that they would just sit in the corner of the room gathering dust.

1 hour ago, Jonty said:

I hve an elderly neighbour whose house is stuffed with an amazing combination of antiques and junk, it really is a spectacular sight.  I recently helped him tune a new tv in, whilst in his front room I counted at least 40 rods, all in tubes or bags in the corner of the room. When I mentioned them he spent an hour started showing me a selection of them, they were mainly hardy split cane rods, I'm no expert but some were very old.....it was a pleasure to see and hold them, but also a shame to think that they would just sit in the corner of the room gathering dust.

Beautiful works of art they undoubtedly are, they are pretty much museum pieces now! I have several Hardy Palakona cane rods, I haven't used them for many years, superseding them came hollow fibreglass, then carbon fibre, boron etc etc, all of which virtually rendered cane obsolete! And as such made them more a curio/collectors item.

If you wanted a new split cane rod nowadays, it would probably have to be made to order, and therefore cost many hundreds of pounds.

Apart from the Hardy's, I have an original Richard Walker Mk 1v Split Cane Carp rod (the type he caught Clarissa, the then British record Carp on) impractical now, but worth a fair bit to a collector......

This type of stuff has, on one hand, in the time I've owned it, gotten to be an investment, as its become very collectible.....but on the other hand, their value is testament to my gettin old! Lol!

i have a greenheart stream (fly) rod late 1800's early 1900's made by forrest of Kelso...i have used that many a time............i also have a full set of Forrest salmon rods for man and woman...have tried to sell them on many occasion....only worth pennies.......back in the 80's they were worth very serious money as the american market was snapping them and others up.....not now tho'............thought they would fund the new soft top for the landrover ....but alas not .............also have a trout rod with prince of wales feathers engraved all over it.....

Blank arrived today, action seems great, but very hard to tell exactly to the uneducated rod builder as it feels odd minus the handle and rings.  Plenty of reading to be getting on with and then time to order some parts and crack on.

The action will alter slightly when built. As said, don't rush it. It is always a thing with a new project you want to see how it turns out, rush it and ooops, shouldn't have done that.

Be interested to see how it turns out as I was a light line man myself, but with a 5ft 6 inch split cane.

Thanks for the feedback, I had a go looking for the spine - I think I found it but am going to have another go just to make sure - I'm really looking forward to starting this little project. I do have a question.... Do you do anything to reinforce the spigots where the rod sections join or leave them as they come?

I whip the female to match the rings, I think I have whipped the male as well in the past, I would need to pull a rod out to check (I haven't built one for at least 10 years more sorry to be so vague) but that would just be cosmetic.

There are quite a few methods of finding the spine, I just hang a weight off the tip with fishing line and rotate the blank is that how you did it?

i would rekon that the most difficult thing is....is making it to the action you want ....top...middle ...middle and top....all thro action......what sort of action are you aiming for ?....can you alter it buy the lenghth of the joints...furrels.....or do you buy the blank as a particular action..........:hmm:i wouldnt know where to start

we need some pics...as this is a very interesting project...:good:

Hi 

well done for having a go 

may I suggest tapeing the reel in your chosen position and running some line from it to you first ring position this will enable you to get the correct height and size 

all the rods I have built in the past I’ve endevored to get the line to run from reel to tip without touching the eyes on the static rod 

look forward to seeing your finished project 

all the best 

of 

2 hours ago, Dunkield said:

I whip the female to match the rings, I think I have whipped the male as well in the past, I would need to pull a rod out to check (I haven't built one for at least 10 years more sorry to be so vague) but that would just be cosmetic.

There are quite a few methods of finding the spine, I just hang a weight off the tip with fishing line and rotate the blank is that how you did it?

I found the spine by bending the rood sections ahainst a glass table and my shoulder, then rotating it - I will try the weight method too, thanks for the heads up, it would be good to see if I can verify the spine via different methods as I am a complete novice to this.  I also need to look at one of my other rods to check the ferrule reinforcements - as its not yet the 15th they are still packed away.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i would rekon that the most difficult thing is....is making it to the action you want ....top...middle ...middle and top....all thro action......what sort of action are you aiming for ?....can you alter it buy the lenghth of the joints...furrels.....or do you buy the blank as a particular action..........i wouldnt know where to start

we need some pics...as this is a very interesting project...:good:

I've specifically bought a med-fast action as I will be using this for Czech nymphing with no fly line, only a mono tapered leaded so I want fairly fast as there's no weight to the cast.  I will post pics when I start .

35 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Hi 

well done for having a go 

may I suggest tapeing the reel in your chosen position and running some line from it to you first ring position this will enable you to get the correct height and size 

all the rods I have built in the past I’ve endevored to get the line to run from reel to tip without touching the eyes on the static rod 

look forward to seeing your finished project 

all the best 

of 

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Fatcatsplat said:

Aside from the enormous sense of self satisfaction of making something yourself, which I fully appreciate, is there any advantage in making your own rod up as opposed to buying one?

Only that if I don't catch any fish, I have absolutely no one but myself to blame.

For me personally, not really, I think by the time I've bought the components and put the time in, it would probably cost what I could justify spending on shop bought rod (hardy and sage have to wait until I retire)' so it really is the satisfaction thing.  I manage to get out fishing quite a bit in the season so I will enjoy using it.  I would dearly like to reload my own ammunition for the same satisfaction, but the tiny amount of rounds I put through my centre fire each year, it wouldn't make sense to do so.

1 hour ago, Jonty said:

Only that if I don't catch any fish, I have absolutely no one but myself to blame.

For me personally, not really, I think by the time I've bought the components and put the time in, it would probably cost what I could justify spending on shop bought rod (hardy and sage have to wait until I retire)' so it really is the satisfaction thing.  I manage to get out fishing quite a bit in the season so I will enjoy using it.  I would dearly like to reload my own ammunition for the same satisfaction, but the tiny amount of rounds I put through my centre fire each year, it wouldn't make sense to do so.

Makes perfect sense to me - I make a lot of my own gear and it does make the tasks they're used for slightly better.

I've specifically bought a med-fast action as I will be using this for Czech nymphing with no fly line, only a mono tapered leaded so I want fairly fast as there's no weight to the cast

Your med-fast action might be to stiff for czeching, watch when you strike,

the rod needs to give a lot especially when the fish are close in. ..:good: