Rod Building

Jonty

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Satisfying isn't it ?  I think you should try and market that rod rest system :good:

Even more satisfying when you get that first knock on a rod you've fettled yourself.

Very much so, I can't wait to get fishing with it.  If you ask really nicely, I'll let you know which branch of morrisons have the best cardboard boxes, erm, raw materials for the wrapping jig.  Joking aside, it's great for a first attempt, cost nothing and pretty much does what I've needed so I can see if I'd do another rod (which I will).

2 hours ago, washerboy said:

I have a fishing book from 1990 and a guy is fishing for roach using an adaptation of a fly rod, could I ask how easy is the work involved 

What kind of adaptation?  If it's removing a fly reel seat and cork to replace with a coarse handle etc I think you can loosen the glue with a heat gun

I got home today to find the postman had left me a parcel containing the reel seat, winding check and cork handle.  A quich fettle with a rasp and sandpaper got the fork to the right diameters and some masking tape round the blank made for a good fit with the reel seat.  I'm pretty cack handed at gluing but this turned out quite well for me.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dunkield said:

Nice. So just the bottom ring(s) and you ae all done right?

Pretty much..... Another coat of threadmaster on the threads and the bottom ring plus hook ring/loop.  Doing the wrapping revealed that my eyes aren't as keen as they were, I'm picking up my first pair of specs this week so I'll save the wrapping till I have them - hopefully I will be able to see what I'm doing!!

On 3/21/2018 at 18:40, washerboy said:

It’s bob James that uses a fly rod but float fishing trotting for roach 

Mmm, are you sure? Converting a fly blank to house a quiver tip, yes, and was commonly done but I doubt that for trotting a soft fly blank would have line pick up required.