187yd rabbit

Phil9

Message added by shaun4860

We have edited the picture out as we don’t allow graphic content

Hiya guys, just a quick pic of a rabbit I got the other day, with my HMR, he shuffled back right at the last minute,,,,,,,,not enough though?, and the 17gr v-max did its job perfectly.sorry the pic isn't very clear I took the pic on my phone and posting this from my ipad?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What for the “that’s not possible with a rimfire” brigade. 

It is 

I can can hit a 75mm gong at 200 yards with my .17 HMR with ease. I use strelock, as long as you’re wind call is on point. That distance is not problem.

good shooting, Phil 

1 hour ago, rimmie said:

It is 

I can can hit a 75mm gong at 200 yards with my .17 HMR with ease. I use strelock, as long as you’re wind call is on point. That distance is not problem.

good shooting, Phil 

Pah ! lads on here can do that with a .22 air rifle , in a strong cross wind, with one hand tied behind their back :beer:

Cheers rewulf?

2 hours ago, Eyefor said:

No mate was very still just cold?

2 hours ago, rimmie said:

It is 

good shooting, Phil 

Cheers rimmie?

Cheers Bazooka....

842 yard crow...

Don't know the guy with the OP but my mate used to do a lot of long range shooting and the furthest hare I witnessed shot with a .243 was 888 yds.

I read with interest the replies both for and against and I have concluded that the against camp know nothing about the subject of long range shooting and the fors have done it for themselves.

If you have all the best equipment i.e custom built rifle , home made ammo ,top end scope ,  rangefinder, wind meter and software to enable you to dial in its not that difficult.

There are those that can and those that cant . Just because you cant do it doesn't mean someone else cant .

We were goat stalking once and my mate shot a goat at 500 yds then passed the rifle to me straight after and I shot another at 500 yds , once dialled in just place crosshairs on target and away you go.

I appreciate its not everyones cup of tea , my mate wasn't interested in close range shooting under 300 yds and would pass the rifle to me for these shots he would much rather they be 500 +

I personally do not shoot long range as do not have the gear but can appreciate the skill involved and all the practice it requires.

Well done Phil, there’s those that can and those that cant ,you can and fair play to you, for the doubters have a look on you tube on freedomofabird , with an HMR . as fo 260rips , si-bore and others like them absolutely cracking shots

16 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Cheers Bazooka....

842 yard crow...

Don't know the guy with the OP but my mate used to do a lot of long range shooting and the furthest hare I witnessed shot with a .243 was 888 yds.

I read with interest the replies both for and against and I have concluded that the against camp know nothing about the subject of long range shooting and the fors have done it for themselves.

If you have all the best equipment i.e custom built rifle , home made ammo ,top end scope ,  rangefinder, wind meter and software to enable you to dial in its not that difficult.

There are those that can and those that cant . Just because you cant do it doesn't mean someone else cant .

We were goat stalking once and my mate shot a goat at 500 yds then passed the rifle to me straight after and I shot another at 500 yds , once dialled in just place crosshairs on target and away you go.

I appreciate its not everyones cup of tea , my mate wasn't interested in close range shooting under 300 yds and would pass the rifle to me for these shots he would much rather they be 500 +

I personally do not shoot long range as do not have the gear but can appreciate the skill involved and all the practice it requires.

Love watching his videos, makes my shooting look a bit naff in comparison :lol:

21 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

What was the story behind this ?  Why do people always mock long range shooting there is plenty on Youtube , try watching 260 rips

Because, arrogantly, they can't do it so don't think anyone else can:lol: I agree, Rips 260, seriously good shot, Freedomofabird, Matt Dubber on AirarmshuntingSA to name but a few. What they all have in common, is they calculate the shot, ballistics etc. I'm sure they all miss too at times. But theres a huge difference in an unsuccessful shot with a 17,22,223,260 projectile, and a less than successful shot out pigeon/crow/pheasant/duck etc shooting with a shotgun. I was watching Geoff Garrod on The Shooting Show. He is indeed, a very good shot. However, obviously, so many birds weren't clean kills. How many of the people that negatively reply to these threads can say they've never pricked a bird, yet lambast someone with good rifle skills?

Cracking shot Phil, you carry on:good:

The "long-range" shooters seem very sensitive. No-one (at least not me) is doubting it can be done in ideal circumstances with all the known factors accounted for.

The last topic that got a ribbing about it was because the shooter had no idea how far his quarry was and still managed to hit it through pure luck. Live animals, even vermin, deserve more than that. 

Thanks for the comments guys.. Just want to say the conditions were perfect,, and I felt confident in the shot to be taken,, if there was any slight doubt in my mind there is no way I'd of took the shot,, I practice a hell of a lot with my hmr so obviously it helps,, but when I shoot I shoot within my limits that I am confident at!. Just a few weeks ago I got a fox at bang on 401 yards with my Howa 1500 in 223 and yet again the conditions were spot on.

image.jpg

2 hours ago, walshie said:

The "long-range" shooters seem very sensitive. No-one (at least not me) is doubting it can be done in ideal circumstances with all the known factors accounted for.

The last topic that got a ribbing about it was because the shooter had no idea how far his quarry was and still managed to hit it through pure luck. Live animals, even vermin, deserve more than that. 

Totally Walshie :good:

It's bad enough Screwing a 200 yrd shot up then having to rectify it. 

Morals and ethics spring to mind :yes:

Puff your chest out and swell your ego and show the Skills on Paper/Steel of Board not living Animals or Bird's 

Also ( steel/Paper ) I've shot at Range with my .300 Win-mag and 6.5 SE 

5 hours ago, walshie said:

I completely support your view Walshie. I don't think " Long range shooters" are neccesarily sensitive, its more the hypocrisy of pigeon shooters who probably feel a good day is 1 for two carts fired, with wounding inevitable, having a bash at rifle shooters who's "average" is a lot higher, and consequently on the law of averages, much more humane. 

One  of the permissions I have has a pheasant feeder at 280yards. I have taken countless squirrels and other vermin at that feeder with the 223. I miss 1 in ten attempted shots, maybe less than that.  My point is, its  a "miss" not a puff of feathers, long dropper, pricked or otherwise, its a miss.

I think we can all accept that our shooting, albeit decoying, driven, rifle shooting should be kept distance wise, within the limits and skills of the participant.  No one gets a roasting on here for firing off 50 cartridges for 15 pigeons or crows picked. But the OP,   fires 1 round at 187 yards, resulting in a clean kill gets the predictable remarks from the usual hypocrites. Even the most respected shots on here probably accept a 20% miss" rate as an acceptable day and get congratulated on their performance and skills, not a single remark about the consequences of the remaining 20/100 shots.

Edited by turbo33

9 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

I completely support your view Walshie. I don't think " Long range shooters" are neccesarily sensitive, its more the hypocrisy of pigeon shooters who probably feel a good day is 1 for two carts fired, with wounding inevitable, having a bash at rifle shooters who's "average" is a lot higher, and consequently on the law of averages, much more humane. 

One  of the permissions I have has a pheasant feeder at 280yards. I have taken countless squirrels and other vermin at that feeder with the 223. I miss 1 in ten attempted shots, maybe less than that.  My point is, its  a "miss" not a puff of feathers, long dropper, pricked or otherwise, its a miss.

I think we can all accept that our shooting, albeit decoying, driven, rifle shooting should be kept distance wise, within the limits and skills of the participant.  No one gets a roasting on here for firing off 50 cartridges for 15 pigeons or crows picked. But the OP,   fires 1 round at 187 yards, resulting in a clean kill gets the predictable remarks from the usual hypocrites. Even the most respected shots on here probably accept a 20% miss" rate as an acceptable day and get congratulated on their performance and skills, not a single remark about the consequences of the remaining 20/100 shots.

Hate to think how many pheasants get pricked on a driven day and not picked ?

I have seen guns shooting at high ducks that you would struggle to hit with a rifle and when asked "Why " the reply is " well you might as well have a go "

18 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Hate to think how many pheasants get pricked on a driven day and not picked ?

I have seen guns shooting at high ducks that you would struggle to hit with a rifle and when asked "Why " the reply is " well you might as well have a go "

That boils my ****! I had a gun pointing and shouting at me on a shoot last year to shoot at ducks over my head that were 80yards plus up there. 

I shouted back that they were out of range so he had a crack. muppet. 

A bloke on a Facebook group put up a picture of a target that had a cloverleaf 6 shot group which he said was at 450 yards. Everyone was congratulating him on his shooting so I commented that it must be world record shooting. He replied  " no way people put bullets through the same hole at 1000 yards" . so after a little googling it turns out the record group at 1000 yards is 2.6". So our man on Facebook is probably the best shot in the world and doesn't know it.

25 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

I don't think anyone on this topic has a problem with the OPs rabbit. Most are simply referring to the other post. At least that's how I see it.

I am much more a rifle shooter than a shotgunner, although I have both. I wouldn't have a problem shooting anything with my 223 at 280 yards but I think saying at that range it is either a hit or a miss is simplifying it a bit. It could be a clean kill, it could be a miss, but it could be a gut shot or other unsavoury outcome. Obviously the chance of the bad outcome increases with distance, and your chance for a follow-up shot decreases.

We all know you can have bad shots at closer ranges, but pushing the window just makes it more likely. 

The way I see it is there are 2 types of shooters (with rifles anyway). Paper punchers and hunters. The paper punchers can feel free to extend the range out to whatever they want. The hunters should get as close as they can before taking the shot. Just because a gun can still kill at several hundred yards, doesn't mean you have to shoot at that distance.

As far as I'm concerned a hunter who continually takes shots at max range either needs to brush up on his fieldcraft and get closer or simply wants a pat on the back for his sniper like marksmanship. 

Just my take on it as ever. :good:

1 hour ago, walshie said:

I don't think anyone on this topic has a problem with the OPs rabbit. Most are simply referring to the other post. At least that's how I see it.

I am much more a rifle shooter than a shotgunner, although I have both. I wouldn't have a problem shooting anything with my 223 at 280 yards but I think saying at that range it is either a hit or a miss is simplifying it a bit. It could be a clean kill, it could be a miss, but it could be a gut shot or other unsavoury outcome. Obviously the chance of the bad outcome increases with distance, and your chance for a follow-up shot decreases.

We all know you can have bad shots at closer ranges, but pushing the window just makes it more likely. 

The way I see it is there are 2 types of shooters (with rifles anyway). Paper punchers and hunters. The paper punchers can feel free to extend the range out to whatever they want. The hunters should get as close as they can before taking the shot. Just because a gun can still kill at several hundred yards, doesn't mean you have to shoot at that distance.

As far as I'm concerned a hunter who continually takes shots at max range either needs to brush up on his fieldcraft and get closer or simply wants a pat on the back for his sniper like marksmanship. 

Just my take on it as ever. :good:

Out of curiosity why does a hunter NEED to brush up on his fieldcraft and get closer if he/she is confident to execute the shot?