187yd rabbit

Phil9

Message added by shaun4860

We have edited the picture out as we don’t allow graphic content

The question is how many shots are missed before they count the "one" shot that actually connected. 

I can hit a 1 inch target at 450 yards, not every time mind but I ain't too bad on a good day. :lol: and then maybe some shots are dead on but manage to wizz through the links in the chains. But that's not a rim fire that is renowned for it's inconsistent ammunition. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Rst1990 said:

Out of curiosity why does a hunter NEED to brush up on his fieldcraft and get closer if he/she is confident to execute the shot?

2 reasons,

1: Just because the shooter is confident, why increase the chances of messing up a shot?  And I did say if they CONTINUALLY take shots at the max range. If they do they must be doing something wrong or purposely seeking out long range shots. If they are too close do they move back a bit to maximise the glory if and when they manage a kill?

2: Long distance shooting isn't hunting, it's sniping.

20 minutes ago, walshie said:

2 reasons,

1: Just because the shooter is confident, why increase the chances of messing up a shot?  And I did say if they CONTINUALLY take shots at the max range. If they do they must be doing something wrong or purposely seeking out long range shots. If they are too close do they move back a bit to maximise the glory if and when they manage a kill?

2: Long distance shooting isn't hunting, it's sniping.

To be fair a shot can be messed up at 50yrds.

I read what you typed, continually take long rang shots?

with today’s technology as shown by 260rips you are minimising the chances of a bad shot.

not shore if they move back to glory the shot, they have there ambush mark a go from there I assume? 

I don’t do long range shooting as I’m **** at it but as I have seen others take shots at vast ranges to hit the target consistently I can’t see a problem, just my view.

Atb

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stevo

The problem with all these videos of someone taking these “one shot , one kill “ videos is you ONLY ever see the shot that us mere mortals can but only dream of , you never see the misses , you never see the crow with its wing blown off, you never see the bunny with its back end in bits . 

To sit there and honestly believe these people can pull off one shot clean kill at these quoted ranges is total and utter ********. 

If you genuinely believe in what there doing you need to have a word with yourselfs 

4FS use a paper target , or a gong . 

39 minutes ago, stevo said:

The problem with all these videos of someone taking these “one shot , one kill “ videos is you ONLY ever see the shot that us mere mortals can but only dream of , you never see the misses , you never see the crow with its wing blown off, you never see the bunny with its back end in bits . 

To sit there and honestly believe these people can pull off one shot clean kill at these quoted ranges is total and utter ********. 

If you genuinely believe in what there doing you need to have a word with yourselfs 

4FS use a paper target , or a gong . 

Well said and 100% correct Stevo :yes: :good:

40 minutes ago, stevo said:

To sit there and honestly believe these people can pull off one shot clean kill at these quoted ranges is total and utter ********

Not mate , witnessed it many times . Not every shot hits obviously but that's the same whatever the range , we've all missed sitters.

Have you ever witnessed any long range shooting ?

Guest stevo
6 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Notmate , witnessed it many times . Not every shot hits obviously but that's the same whatever the range , we've all missed sitters.

Have you ever witnessed any long range shooting ?

Certainly have , but not on live quarry 

15 minutes ago, Dougy said:

A few do get missed from time to time 

oof! That made him duck. 

I try not to be too judgemental when I see/hear this stuff as I am sure I do things that some others disagree with. 

Half minute of angle at 630 is a little over three inches. I suppose you have to ask yourself how big is the kill zone on your intended quarry? 

I have been shooting for quite a while although I don't homeload or use custom rifles etc, just straight out the box. 

I suppose I average minute of angle groups on paper out to 300 which is as far as I will shoot, some days I group sub MOA some days a bit over. 

If I was shooting that crow with my level of accuracy my tightest group would be a little over 6 inch! It would be nothing more than luck whether I hit it or not. 

I get the argument that "you can miss at any range." 

But how valid is that when you start to stretch the capabilities of even the gear you are using?

even quarter minute of angle at 600yds is 1.5inch, how many custom rifles and handloads are capable of that accuracy in a bench rest? 

It's a serious level of precision to pull off shots like that consistently and I take my hat off to anyone that can honestly do that. I know I can't.

If it were me though, I'd save the long shots for paper, or reactive targets like eggs, fruit, golfballs, ballons with talcum powder in, those exploding clays etc etc etc...  

Edited by ClemFandango

Guest stevo
24 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Exactly my point , commenting on something that you have never witnessed .

And I never would on live quarry.  , you can’t even call it effective pest control , well not with a straight face anyway . It’s just wannabe redneck shooting imo . 

Each to their own Stevo, I dont preach what I do is right to anyone.  But we must stop mud flinging because we don't agree with certain shots whether rim fire or center fire,long range or not. 

Some like coffee some like tea, we all have pur own seperate ways. 

7 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Each to their own Stevo, I dont preach what I do is right to anyone.  But we must stop mud flinging because we don't agree with certain shots whether rim fire or center fire,long range or not. 

+1 each to their own.

Guest stevo
14 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Dougy,

another worry I have, for the  want of a better word is , putting  videos like this up on the tinternet may well just encourage idiots who absolutely do not have the tools let alone skill set to pull a shot a 1/3 of the distance. That has got the  potential to go horribly wrong .

i agree with most of the stuff posted , we as shooters are on very thin ice it would seem . I don’t think should hide away , But i feel we should be keeping our heads down in some areas . 

Just a thought . 

Anyway I will leave it there as I just got another warning ⚠️ and would appear that I’m on thin ice too . 

So it looks like I will have to be keeping my head down too ......... ?

Edited by stevo

5 minutes ago, stevo said:

Dougy,

another worry I have, for the  want of a better word is , putting  videos like this up on the tinternet may well just encourage idiots who absolutely do not have the tools let alone skill set to pull a shot a 1/3 of the distance. 

Just a thought . 

Stevo, now don't get worrying about anything it's not good for the blood pressure. 

Personally I go shooting because I enjoy it and like the challenge. Sat there shooting rabbits at 80 yards with a 17hmr is easy and quite frankly, after a while, boring to me. I think its far more interesting and ‘sporting’ to try to shoot at extended ranges. I feel sorry for rabbits sat at 80 yards, they don’t really stand a chance. At least when you connect with one over 150 yards you feel you have had to use a bit of skill in range finding wind speed and direction etc.

2 hours ago, Rst1990 said:

That’s why you range the target first and check windage, your not meant to shoot first then range it, your doing it wrong lol

I don't do long range shooting, I stalk, and test my skills of stalking in on what im targeting, or I will call a fox in etc. 

At no point did i say i shoot then range, i said once its left ths barrel anything can happen and you have F all control. 

How come when ever someone on here mentions a long range shot people get so tetchy? If you don't want to take shots at longer range then don't, if you go out and shoot at longer ranges on paper and can do so accurately why not put it in to practise? I'm confident taking crows to 600 on good conditions however I have spent time loading ammo, testing it, trajectory validation and so on. If you can put it in the right place whose to argue? Ok so the HMR isn't the tool for the job with inconsistencies but I've stretched mine to 220 or so with a box of accurate ammo (can't say I've done it since mind) practise and practise some more then some more and if your confident doing that crack on ? ps, the field craft part doesn't come in to it for me, I ain't shooting a red at 15 yards with a 308, excessive meat damage and the fact it really isn't very sporting comes to mind :lol:

Seems like good shooting by the OP to me, having built up the skills and experience too be confident of a clean kill at that distance is impressive.  I'm reasonably comfortable with my HMR on Rabbit out to about 120M but much beyond that don't have the confidence to take the shot, i eat Rabbits so will only head shoot them..

Cant comment on the long range stuff, certainly good shooting but i wonder how consistent it is?  I don't understand how  wind meter at the firing point helps very much when a target is 700M away, maybe im missing something?