187yd rabbit

Phil9

Message added by shaun4860

We have edited the picture out as we don’t allow graphic content

On 20/03/2018 at 01:16, Hendrix's rifle said:

How come when ever someone on here mentions a long range shot people get so tetchy? If you don't want to take shots at longer range then don't, if you go out and shoot at longer ranges on paper and can do so accurately why not put it in to practise? I'm confident taking crows to 600 on good conditions however I have spent time loading ammo, testing it, trajectory validation and so on. If you can put it in the right place whose to argue? Ok so the HMR isn't the tool for the job with inconsistencies but I've stretched mine to 220 or so with a box of accurate ammo (can't say I've done it since mind) practise and practise some more then some more and if your confident doing that crack on ? ps, the field craft part doesn't come in to it for me, I ain't shooting a red at 15 yards with a 308, excessive meat damage and the fact it really isn't very sporting comes to mind

That's interesting. What calibre are you regularly shooting Crows at 600 with? With your set up and homeloads etc what is your grouping capacity? 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading some of the comments the phrase that comes to mind is: 

Those who can, can. Those who cant criticize those who can.

2 of my mates are fantastic shots and head shoot deer at ranges I wouldnt consider chest shooting them. I am sure we will have the "shouldnt head shoot a deer" nonsense but they are amazing shots with custom rifles that will group 1" at 400 yards. 

I am happy with my limited abilities and thats what counts. The vast majority of what I shoot at ends up dead, beyond that lifes not a competition...good job as there is always somebody better then you. 

Edited by WelshMike

On 27/03/2018 at 19:07, ClemFandango said:

That's interesting. What calibre are you regularly shooting Crows at 600 with? With your set up and homeloads etc what is your grouping capacity? 

Did a bit with a 223, howa 1500 pred 8 mod mtc genesis 5-20x50 scope, 55g vmax over cfe223, ragged hole at 220 til I changed to 53g vmax and still havnt done a load for it (not a silly accurate one, 3/4 inch at 100) stopped when I sold my range finder to buy another rifle :lol: if you get the correct info input in strelok along with a good wind reading and a steady shot you would be surprised what you can do mate ?

On 28/03/2018 at 13:28, WelshMike said:

Reading some of the comments the phrase that comes to mind is: 

Those who can, can. Those who cant criticize those who can.

2 of my mates are fantastic shots and head shoot deer at ranges I wouldnt consider chest shooting them. I am sure we will have the "shouldnt head shoot a deer" nonsense but they are amazing shots with custom rifles that will group 1" at 400 yards. 

I am happy with my limited abilities and thats what counts. The vast majority of what I shoot at ends up dead, beyond that lifes not a competition...good job as there is always somebody better then you. 

Couldn't have said it much better 

10 hours ago, Hendrix's rifle said:

Did a bit with a 223, howa 1500 pred 8 mod mtc genesis 5-20x50 scope, 55g vmax over cfe223, ragged hole at 220 til I changed to 53g vmax and still havnt done a load for it (not a silly accurate one, 3/4 inch at 100) stopped when I sold my range finder to buy another rifle :lol: if you get the correct info input in strelok along with a good wind reading and a steady shot you would be surprised what you can do mate ?

Couldn't have said it much better 

Thanks. 

So not even a mega supa duper custom rifle. 

but homeloaded ammo. 

I've never homeloaded as I am too lazy! 

I have done a bit of rook shooting with my .25-06 on freshly drilled maize at some extended ranges, 3-350yds, that was with factory ammo, Federal premium 85gr BT. I could sometimes group ragged hole with that but it would be far more honest to say the grouping capacity was more like half inch at 100 so by 300 that's inch and a half which is getting open enough to be in hit/miss territory. 

Did you ever stretch your .223 out to any further ranges on paper to see how that ragged hole at 220 opened out? 

All comes down to handloaded ammo and a steady trigger pull. Yeh I stretched it out and saw what it would be on paper to 400 or so and was maybe couple on inches on a very good day, perfect conditions. The joys of crows are it's either a deadly hit or a clean miss. Wouldn't take a fox or rabbit/hare at that range for obvious reasons like injuring it

I was very recently on a DSC 1 course. There were many there that clearly shot a lot and had done some pretty impressive stuff. The shooting test is not hard with 3 shots in a 4 inch zeroing target at 100m.  When we got to the shooting test I was surprised, very surprised, at how hard many found the test :oops:.

I am sure those that can can. I am equally sure that many think they can even though they probably can't.

40 minutes ago, oowee said:

I was very recently on a DSC 1 course. There were many there that clearly shot a lot and had done some pretty impressive stuff. The shooting test is not hard with 3 shots in a 4 inch zeroing target at 100m.  When we got to the shooting test I was surprised, very surprised, at how hard many found the test :oops:.

I am sure those that can can. I am equally sure that many think they can even though they probably can't.

You are right there, having taken clients in the past that give it the biggun in the van about how they have shot foxes at 300yds and their stalking setup is the mutts nuts only to have them shoot like **** for their whole outing.

8 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Total Rubbish I've myself with a .220 Swift .25-06 only took a wing off a Crow Rook and Pigeon because either the bird moved or i made a bad shot 

Not what I've seen mate, if I've missed it's been a clean miss and when it hits it's an instant death 

7 hours ago, oowee said:

I was very recently on a DSC 1 course. There were many there that clearly shot a lot and had done some pretty impressive stuff. The shooting test is not hard with 3 shots in a 4 inch zeroing target at 100m.  When we got to the shooting test I was surprised, very surprised, at how hard many found the test .

When I did my dsc1 there were a few people who failed, funnily enough they were the all the gear no idea sorts or Mr I am...

On 3/30/2018 at 23:52, Hendrix's rifle said:

Not what I've seen mate, if I've missed it's been a clean miss and when it hits it's an instant death 

Would its beak be instant death , or its wing tip, tail feathers ?

18 hours ago, bone said:

Good on yer Phil9. 160 Mtrs my longest shot so far at rabbit. 

Thats 175 yards ,so youre not far off.