Perazzi cracked forend again!

Wingman

Hey guys

I have had my Perazzi for quite a while now and its become my favorite gun for clays and game and in the 18 months or so I have owned it its not missed a beat.  Their is only one niggling problem and that is the forend has cracked 3 times!

It happened when I first bought it and the original owner took it in and got it repaired for me, then happened again just before Christmas and I had it repaired again.  I took it out for a round of clays today and, yes you guessed it cracked again.  I took it into the onsite gunshop, they took a quick look and said not much can be done as gluing it will never provide a fully permanent fix, I was advised to use it until the section cracked right through when they said it might be able to be successfully pinned or look out for a new one. So got home took the gun apart for a good clean and had a proper look, I was wondering whether I could glue the crack with epoxy and then apply some fiberglass matting over the crack to strengthen it but not sure if this would work.

So wanted to get some views and ideas from the PW gurus on some possible solutions, or if anyone has a type 4 Perazzi forend gathering dust then please let me know (a long shot I know)!

Cheers

Here is the crack in all its glory!

IMG_0296.JPG

Edited by Wingman

By b2g forend has a crack in it that the action end and this was glued with epoxy and also reinforced inside with fibreglass I believe and the re finished and has held over the last 2 seasons with some big shells going through it.

Just now, silver pigeon69 said:

Wingman- has it been repaired or replaced(new wood) on the last two occasions?

Hi Mate, its been repaired twice in the time I have owned the gun the wood hasn't been replaced (yet!).  I took it to my gunsmith the last time, and I think it was only glued there is nothing to reinforce the crack so I am not totally surprised its cracked again to be honest.

2 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

ok, i would try and get a new piece of wood. i also can't see why it can't be pinned easily (but I'm not a chippy or gunsmith!)

New forend from Perazzi starts at £500.00, I contacted them last year. Then needs fitting to the gun and finishing.

Would rather try and fix it if poss

1 minute ago, CaptainBeaky said:

Epoxy and pin is the way to go. Something like Aerolite? Plus a couple of 3mm pins, toothed up and set below the surface, then fill the pin holes with more epoxy, mixed with the dust from drilling the pin holes.

Thanks, thats sounds more like it but probably beyond my poor woodworking skills.

What about JB Weld and carbon fibre matting, seems to get good feedback on some of the US sites?

14 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

The problem is once glue especially with superglue type glues other glues don’t like to stick.  It’s repairable but to do it properly now needs a bit more work.  

It will also need the cause addressing as well not just patch up and hope.  

Ah ok that’s makes sense. What would you recommend as the best course of action?

Should I send you the forend?

I glued an original piece back onto a shortened stock using Gorilla wood glue.

A small wedge to part the two surfaces, use a hypodermic to syringe the glue in, clamp it firmly using some protection to the wood, pinning it may not be necessary.

2 minutes ago, Ricko said:

I glued an original piece back onto a shortened stock using Gorilla wood glue.

A small wedge to part the two surfaces, use a hypodermic to syringe the glue in, clamp it firmly using some protection to the wood, pinning it may not be necessary.

unfortunately it won’t work now if the wrong glue was used first or second time.  

I do a quite a bit of woodworking myself (building guitars) -- I think perhaps that piece of wood won't /glue/ properly if it's been fixed already, there is probably 'tension' in the wood there -- it's likely the wood was still a bit 'green' when it was carved, and short of serious pinning it it'll just crack again.

Perhaps filling the crack would provide a more long term fix if the crack is now 'stable'. Epoxy or runny superglue to fill the crack, scrape any residue, and repolish.

However, that gun got pretty seriously devaluated with a cracked forend, pretty nasty on the wallet -- perhaps a new £500 forend might be a better 'investment' in the long term

If you go the pin and fill way, which I once did with an air rifle, drill a hole at the end if the crack to stop it going further and repeat the job of pinning and finish with some Araldite
and wood dust as described in an earlier reply.

55 minutes ago, das said:

If you go the pin and fill way, which I once did with an air rifle, drill a hole at the end if the crack to stop it going further and repeat the job of pinning and finish with some Araldite
and wood dust as described in an earlier reply.

Oops! Forgot this bit :oops: 

Need to remove the stress raiser (sharp angle at the end of the crack) to stop the crack propagating any further. I suspect this wasn't done the first time, and as Daf says, using the wrong glue makes it a bit of a pig to get anything else to stick.

The only guy to suggest looking for the cause is Welsh Warrior,  there has to be a cause somewhere,  personally I would send it to him.  Keep putting new forends on is very costly.  Unless you sell it and buy something along the Beretta style.  had my 687 for 35 years and no issues all be it I dont fire 1000 a year these days.

A