scope comparison

shawn9914

Hi All

I am after a scope for my new tikka t1x 22lr I have ordered and I have been looking at the hawke vantage and endurance and the mtc viper and mamba scopes second hand but as new condition

But I have now been offered off another forum from a very nice sounding guy a older 1980 tasco 3-9 x 50 ag with japan optics for the same sort of money as a second hand hawke or mtc scope, the thing is I am unsure as to which way to go would a 35 year old tasco scope be as good as todays modern scopes from what I have read the tasco sounds a very good scope but has modern technology over took it I dont know so was hoping you lot would settle my mind

At this moment in time my head is telling me to buy the older tasco but I looked through a nice hawke the other day in the gunshop and it was very clear indeed so I am so confused

what would you do and why ????????? 

For me the mtc mamba (lite) would be the best choice. And I'm a recent convert to their virtues.

I have a few and find them ideal for airgun and rimfire. Clear glass, good build quality, useful reticues  (if maybe a little bit fussy for some) and good features such as decent mag range and parralax adjustment to suit NV.

It will come down to what you want it to do, any of your suggestions will work but I do like the mtc.

Edd

1 minute ago, PPP said:

I have the Hawke HMR scope and I’m not impressed by the clarity of optics to be honest, I’d avoid Hawke

There is either something wrong with your eyesight or the scope.

I use a Hawke SF on my 17hmr, it is brilliant.

32 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

I use an old S&B 6x42 with no complaints. I went for something with a reputation for being good under the lamp, robust, and simple to use. Then found one old enough to fit my budget. 

This! A fix power s&b or Swarovski will be clearer and be able to see more detail at 6x than a cheap higher power. With my 6x42 I can see .22lr holes at 100m, can’t do that with a few x16 scopes I’ve had and no worries about the scope loosing zero etc.

1 hour ago, rwade545 said:

This! A fix power s&b or Swarovski will be clearer and be able to see more detail at 6x than a cheap higher power. With my 6x42 I can see .22lr holes at 100m, can’t do that with a few x16 scopes I’ve had and no worries about the scope loosing zero etc.

Certainly agree that for a 22LR 6 or 7 x is more than enough and a used Schmidt, Swaro or Ziess would be just the ticket providing you AVIOD the single post reticule,  these make aiming over at say 100 yards very difficult.   I use a Ziess 3 x 9 x 36 on my rimfire and a small centerfire, sub 200 yards its perfect.

A

3 hours ago, Alycidon said:

Certainly agree that for a 22LR 6 or 7 x is more than enough and a used Schmidt, Swaro or Ziess would be just the ticket providing you AVIOD the single post reticule,  these make aiming over at say 100 yards very difficult.   I use a Ziess 3 x 9 x 36 on my rimfire and a small centerfire, sub 200 yards its perfect.

A

I'm the same, use a Zwaro habicht 3-9x36 on my .22lr. Only thing is would prefer a slightly bigger objective

12 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

There is either something wrong with your eyesight or the scope.

I use a Hawke SF on my 17hmr, it is brilliant.

Nothing wrong with either apparently, it’s the Hawke vantage model I have, disappointed for the price compared to Nikko on my air file that was 1/3 cost for example.  Lots for people underwhelmed by Hawke.

Hawke on my smaller rifles but they’re not particularly clear in my opinion. I’d be looking at Vortex, Nikon or the used market. 

I just bought a swaro and that shows you just how poor other scopes are. 

12 hours ago, rwade545 said:

This. 

Clearer glass with a finer reticle is worth at least another 2-4x magnification. 

A s&b 8x56 is awesome for lamping with a HMR. May be a bit overkill for a 22Lr. They can be snapped up new for £400.

Edited by Brad93

1 hour ago, PPP said:

Nothing wrong with either apparently, it’s the Hawke vantage model I have, disappointed for the price compared to Nikko on my air file that was 1/3 cost for example.  Lots for people underwhelmed by Hawke.

I have a Hawke Vantage on an air rifle. They are a cheep scope and it certainly does the business. I think they are definitely value for money.

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:19, PPP said:

I have the Hawke HMR scope and I’m not impressed by the clarity of optics to be honest, I’d avoid Hawke

The Hawke range of scopes are very ordinary, there is nothing special about any of them that I have seen.  Just the same I have several and they are adequate for my purposes and reasonable VFM.