still flocked up

yickdaz

usually around this time of year birds start splitting up, but with this cold weather they are still in big flocks, I pushed birds off a few fields today and they got up in one big flock and never came back, I found another  flock in a wood just sat there and nothing coming in or flighting but it was 2pm and in desperation to get some shooting I just went against my instinct and set up, I didn't shoot a bird  till 3pm once I got the rotary going they played ball, but they were swirling around in the strong wind and coming in to the decoys in packs and at one point about 4pm 150 diving in one go I took 2 out of it and that was it it ended there I  picked 18 

As we cannot get to our normal dog walking fields we have just been walking them around the village - Friday and Saturday one particular field (south facing and hardly any snow on it despite being surrounded by fields under 3-4 inches) there were more pigeons than I have ever seen feeding, the field was grey with them and the noise as they lifted was amazing - not so good news is that I'm supposed to be controlling them - too cold for me and not sure how I feel about adding to their woes in this weather.

8 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

As we cannot get to our normal dog walking fields we have just been walking them around the village - Friday and Saturday one particular field (south facing and hardly any snow on it despite being surrounded by fields under 3-4 inches) there were more pigeons than I have ever seen feeding, the field was grey with them and the noise as they lifted was amazing - not so good news is that I'm supposed to be controlling them - too cold for me and not sure how I feel about adding to their woes in this weather.

I very much doubt that pigeons are having a hard time of it at the moment. There will be food aplenty and the temperatures haven't been that low.

Hopefully in the next few weeks the flocks will start to break up.

Got out this morning, before the snow the farmer said there were lot of pigeons on the rape, the damage looked like the sheep had been on it! Sat for four hours watching hundreds of pigeon go over a wood, across the valley and onto the next farm. They have two gas guns going off about every half hour. The bangs made them get up, fly back towards the wood, then turn around and go back to the fields they just lifted off from. Ended up with 1 Jackdaw and a Rook!!!!!!

motty - the vast majority of fields around here are blanketed in snow and the Temp has been minus 4 for 2 days running. This particular field for some strange reason had only a dusting of snow on it and ,in the 20 years of living here, I have never seen such a large flock - they reminded me of the huge flocks of Starlings I used to see when I was younger when they took off.

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

motty - the vast majority of fields around here are blanketed in snow and the Temp has been minus 4 for 2 days running. This particular field for some strange reason had only a dusting of snow on it and ,in the 20 years of living here, I have never seen such a large flock - they reminded me of the huge flocks of Starlings I used to see when I was younger when they took off.

Exactly. Only -4 for a couple of days. If it were like that for a month I would expect the pigeons to be struggling. Everywhere should be thawing somewhat now.