Advice form the sportsman gun center ?

Guest stevo

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

I totally agree, have not used a 6 for many years. Get best results with 4 and 5 in 32,34 and 36g loads. Have you seen the Fiocchi JK6 38g ?

Hang on I can hear all the 28g 7 1/2 brigade tapping away on their keyboards 

??? 30g 5 or 35g 4 for West Country for me, 6 aren’t as convincing, can’t see how anything smaller can be.. and as for steel ???

Guest stevo
1 hour ago, AYA117 said:

I totally agree, have not used a 6 for many years. Get best results with 4 and 5 in 32,34 and 36g loads. Have you seen the Fiocchi JK6 38g ?

Hang on I can hear all the 28g 7 1/2 brigade tapping away on their keyboards 

Naaaah , we just laugh at the thought of you lot spending your pensions on your 2 boxes of 35 gram plus loads of buckshot .........haliarous ?

Edited by stevo

I shotgun a lot of rabbits and my go to cartridge for that is Clear Pigeon 32grm 6’s. In my experience they are brilliant for stopping bolting rabbits, even those going away. I’ve never tried 7’s on anything but pigeons and the odd pheasant. I’ve also found 6.5 through 3/4 choke is a good pigeon load too. 

Gamebore Supersteel 4’s are devastating on rabbits through 3/4 choke. 

Guest cookoff013

i`ve tried a good diet of 36g #4 and #2 from rotweil, some 42g bb, 36g #6 for pigeon, rio pichon or some such, i have used 32g 6-5 and nearly all 28gram and 21gram

41 minutes ago, Scully said:

I shotgun a lot of rabbits and my go to cartridge for that is Clear Pigeon 32grm 6’s. In my experience they are brilliant for stopping bolting rabbits, even those going away. I’ve never tried 7’s on anything but pigeons and the odd pheasant. I’ve also found 6.5 through 3/4 choke is a good pigeon load too. 

Gamebore Supersteel 4’s are devastating on rabbits through 3/4 choke. 

Apart from the obvious, why use steel over lead shot?

25 minutes ago, old'un said:

I will throw it out to a wider audience, why use steel shot?

Ok. Some people won’t accept pigeons, crows or rabbits  shot with lead; steel is cheaper than most other non toxic shot, and it (allegedly) throws tighter patterns. It’s only downside in my opinion is plastic wads.

I wasn’t being offhand, when I used it on rabbits it was because it was all I had in my vehicle, having left the lead shot at home.

Edited by Scully

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Ok. Some people won’t accept pigeons, crows or rabbits  shot with lead; steel is cheaper than most other non toxic shot, and it (allegedly) throws tighter patterns. It’s only downside in my opinion is plastic wads.

I wasn’t being offhand, when I used it on rabbits it was because it was all I had in my vehicle, having left the lead shot at home.

No, I was just curious why people were using steel when there was no need.

Guest cookoff013

they were the gamebore supersteel clay load when i was shooting an obscene ammount "we" had to make a choice and we shot billions of them.

that was when they first came out. in hindsight we should have ordered a trillion.

8 hours ago, old'un said:

No, I was just curious why people were using steel when there was no need.

Because lead is toxic and it harms the environment. It does not have an instant impact, but it all adds up over time, just like certain pesticides (DDT), and can be very dangerous higher up in the food chain. 

Steel works for some, it's cheaper, it's available - what's not to like. 

If someone likes and uses lead - it's their choice and as long as they comply with the law(wildfowling) I can't see a problem. Hopefuly the same people will appreciate that others might be happy with steel shot and give a thumbs up instead of calling them heretics.

No critique aimed at you, Old'un, just in case :good:

Back on the subject of numpty gunshops, my 'local' one has just gone the way of the upward tit, not surprising given the knowledge and attitude of the staff. Whereas my other 'local' one where the guys know their onions, go out of the way to get stuff for you and has competitive prices only has to open three days a week and is usually busy every hour of that.

Edited by mick miller

On 04/03/2018 at 20:41, stevo said:

I had to post this up , it’s a cut and paste from the sportsman gun shop . 

How about this for some real world , proper advice . I always knew they liked to employ clueless halfwitts but come on that’s just 

Shamefull ? 

THOUGHTS ON “SHOTGUN CARTRIDGE BUYING GUIDE”

• john shiels
    john shiels 03/11/2017 at 8:12 pm

hi,
    i am new to shooting and hopefully you can help me with a query, is a 36 gram no 6 cartridge more powerful than a 30 gram no 6 cartridge, or is there more shot in the 36 gram cartridge?

• Sportsman Gun Centre

Hi John,

You are correct, the 36 gram cartridge is more powerful than the 30 gram. The weight relates to the amount of powder in the cartridge and not the shot.

Thanks,
      The Sportsman Team

You learn something new every day!!

I always thought it was the colour of the cartridge which determined the power; No need to keep buying the green ones then!!

18.5grms of #7s seemed to fit the bill for me in the last three seasons.   However of the 40 odd pheasants I have been given by the keeper over the year almost half of them where shredded by guns who feel the need for speed and shoot 'bazooka' rounds because a few people insist that bigger is better.