Advice form the sportsman gun center ?

Guest stevo

Guest cookoff013
7 hours ago, stevo said:

I think  we need to get motty to drop them a message and ask for some advice on reloading data for some big steel goose loads . 

Then again this could be perfect opportunity to get them  to check over some of Cookoffs loading data , I’ve always been a tad dubious about his workings out !

your numbers up cookoff !  Your about to be rumbled ?

Cookoff014 ?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cookoff013

i do have one defence for SGC, and that it is a statement sent to them from eleyhawk.

The last bits with the comments really does concern me because i`m assuming these people are giving advice. and if they dont know, or CAN'T say they dont know.

reminds me of a brilliant interaction i had once. i wanted to buy shells, £10 a box. 

how much for 1000 shells? £400

how much for 40 boxes? £380

it gets even more crazy,

6 minutes ago, WinchesterDave said:

I once heard a pair behind me at the clay ground have that exact same conversation... the moe experienced of the two was giving the less experienced some cracking advice.  

That is truly an embarrassment! 

There you go  !  You see we HAVE crossed paths at the clay ground   !   :yahoo:

Guest cookoff013
12 hours ago, kenholland said:

cooky, I will see if I can get you on there pay roll as an adviser  then we can all sleep safe in our bed's at night zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .

what a sad state of affairs the cartridge retail industry has gotten itself into. 

sadly this nonsense has often crossed paths with the reloading world and had devistating effects.

irony is, the information is all available and free. why oh why do they not read?

Wish I'd read this sooner. Ordered a set of scope mounts off them on Tuesday morning, £6 postage!! At that price I'd expect them to have arrived before I'd got off the phone but they still haven't arrived 2 days later. Probably won't be the right ones when they do finally turn up :sad1:

As amusing that the original post was, I have to say that I visited the Dorset branch a couple of weeks ago and 'wow' a very well stocked and spotlessly clean place it was, the staff were friendly and very helpful and I would say well worth a visit, maybe not ask any cartridge based questions though :)

7 hours ago, Dan7626 said:

Wish I'd read this sooner. Ordered a set of scope mounts off them on Tuesday morning, £6 postage!! At that price I'd expect them to have arrived before I'd got off the phone but they still haven't arrived 2 days later. Probably won't be the right ones when they do finally turn up :sad1:

£6:00 is their standard charge, which is good if you have ordered many items, but not for small ones. It's still cheaper for me to order online than travel to the Newport shop and back (50 mile round trip)

Guest cookoff013

so this whole topic is interesting.

it reminds me of a time when i tried to buy some cartridges and got refused. i tried to buy some 36g#4 and "they" (an entirely different gunshop) straight refused the sale. if i recolect i had to source 32g #5 frome somewhere else.

the big point, i was shooting alot of rabbits and that shell was classic, no nonsence shell. it was pointed out that they were too much and we had many many arguments about shells. the uk is absolutely obsessed with #6 shot and is more obsessed with #6 going 1500fps than any other shell. i have tried alot of shells, alot of weird shells and tested tons. tried lots of different shells. i still to this day havent a clue why #6 is so revered, not everyone is shooting 20 yard pheasent flushed from a bit of spinach. The metric system overlaid on ontop of the old addage where grams and ounces are advertised. the missunderstanding is the 28 g is mistaken for 28grains of powder with an ounce of shot. of course, 28grains of powder probably would be in severe excess. 15grains of some powder could get an ounce 600bar so 28 could probably cause trouble. thats in the extreme though.

shooting #6 at 1500fps is not going to be comfortable, over a prolonged period. shooting 28g as an alternative to 32g loads will be lower recoil, but thats comparing at the same speed. when we talk about reduced recoil, thats the assumption. 28g at 1500fps could even recoil more than 32g loads! (1250fps), thats also not discounting the blown patterns.

when i did bring and use 36g loads, the lads loved them and they were thumpy but provided very satisfactory results, and over 30 yards (!). much to there suprise. a bit beyond that too.
then there is the excess of guys being advised to shoot 7s at rabbits because they are cheap, and the guy being hoodwinked into buying bigger better shells in 7.5s and having to go to the hassle of going FAC to fit enough shells because they were less than suitable.

i cant say having compulsary education in this would help. because everyone has there opinion. 
the unusual problem is reloading data and the interpretation of that data. 

case in point, gentleman who aquired reloading information from somewhere else. he then was very negative to my comments. and stated what the do you know when i can ask my mates down the pub? 
the gentlemen in context, aquired 3.5" steel data and reloaded said shell, by changing the powder, wad, hull, and hull size, and actually managed to destroy a baikal. his friend at the time was very lucky.

i was even in a shop once and tried to source some subsonics. i wanted to compare or whatnot, then i wanted to buy powder, i think they had some. they seemed to think i needed slower and slower powder! utter madness.

7 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

so this whole topic is interesting.

it reminds me of a time when i tried to buy some cartridges and got refused. i tried to buy some 36g#4 and "they" (an entirely different gunshop) straight refused the sale. if i recolect i had to source 32g #5 frome somewhere else.

the big point, i was shooting alot of rabbits and that shell was classic, no nonsence shell. it was pointed out that they were too much and we had many many arguments about shells. the uk is absolutely obsessed with #6 shot and is more obsessed with #6 going 1500fps than any other shell. i have tried alot of shells, alot of weird shells and tested tons. tried lots of different shells. i still to this day havent a clue why #6 is so revered, not everyone is shooting 20 yard pheasent flushed from a bit of spinach. The metric system overlaid on ontop of the old addage where grams and ounces are advertised. the missunderstanding is the 28 g is mistaken for 28grains of powder with an ounce of shot. of course, 28grains of powder probably would be in severe excess. 15grains of some powder could get an ounce 600bar so 28 could probably cause trouble. thats in the extreme though.

shooting #6 at 1500fps is not going to be comfortable, over a prolonged period. shooting 28g as an alternative to 32g loads will be lower recoil, but thats comparing at the same speed. when we talk about reduced recoil, thats the assumption. 28g at 1500fps could even recoil more than 32g loads! (1250fps), thats also not discounting the blown patterns.

when i did bring and use 36g loads, the lads loved them and they were thumpy but provided very satisfactory results, and over 30 yards (!). much to there suprise. a bit beyond that too.
then there is the excess of guys being advised to shoot 7s at rabbits because they are cheap, and the guy being hoodwinked into buying bigger better shells in 7.5s and having to go to the hassle of going FAC to fit enough shells because they were less than suitable.

i cant say having compulsary education in this would help. because everyone has there opinion. 
the unusual problem is reloading data and the interpretation of that data. 

case in point, gentleman who aquired reloading information from somewhere else. he then was very negative to my comments. and stated what the do you know when i can ask my mates down the pub? 
the gentlemen in context, aquired 3.5" steel data and reloaded said shell, by changing the powder, wad, hull, and hull size, and actually managed to destroy a baikal. his friend at the time was very lucky.

i was even in a shop once and tried to source some subsonics. i wanted to compare or whatnot, then i wanted to buy powder, i think they had some. they seemed to think i needed slower and slower powder! utter madness.

I've had similar although not refused a sale but I walked into a shop and said I want some 36g 5's please... 

"what for?" 

allsorts mate, Crows, Pigeons, pheasants. 

"They are waaaaaaay to big you should use these..." 

Long argument then ensues about the suitability of the cartridges with some plank at the back of the shop chipping in who didn't even work there until I said, I cam in for 36g 5's, are you going to sell me any or shall I leave? 

"There's no need to be like that mate!" 

I just walked out.