Extreme cold weather gun oil

johnnytheboy

I mean to ask this during the season but forgot, this cold spell reminded me. 

I have used browning liege spray for quite sometime on all my guns, it’s a one can does everything spray and is a solvent gun oil so it helps clean and protect. However I noticed that in really cold weather the residual oil thickens and slows the cation of my semi auto. Granted I’m talking really cold days most times it’s fine. I’m not blootering it on and there is loads of excess I do wipe all residual oil off as I go. 

I had now started using military spec oils such as break free and don’t have the problem, it’s a slower process cleaning with this type of oil and wondered if anyone had any success with the other solvent oils Napier etc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 22:10, greenergp said:

I made up some "Eds Red" and have found it pretty good, i used the recipe that has Lanolin in it to give salt water protection.

++1 for edds red does not freeze up and easy to make for pennies quite a few friends use instead of commercial gun oil 

1 hour ago, johnnytheboy said:

Any recipes to share for Ed’s red? 

Put 'Eds red' in a general search on this (PW) forum and you will find two recipes, one using Lanolin and one using Acetone!

As far as I remember it's equal quantities of ATF, Parafin, White Spirit and either of the above?...but check it!