Marmalade Vodka

Danger-Mouse

A while back I saw a bottle of this up for sale and quite fancied trying it. Of course in best Yorkshire fashion I muttered "I'm not paying that much for a bloody drink, I'll make some meself". And so I did, just a little 200ml bottle with some Lidl marmalade spooned into the bottom and topped up with the selfsame store's own vodka.

It's been sat around for about 3 months and tonight I spotted it and decided to give it a try.

Verdict: Bloody delicious. When you take a drink you have that wonderful citrus note hit first your nose and then your tongue where you taste that wonderful warm orange/marmalade flavour, not sweet but slightly tart/sour and  backed up with the taste of vodka.

I'm definitely going to try a full sized batch of this.

45 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Just googled it...£38.45 a bottle...

Still got some Sloes in the freezer & was guna make another batch of the Sloe Vodka, but you've set the ball rolling with the marmalade, it'll have to be a Aldi version though..:drinks:

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Now that is a new one on me.  Must nip down to Aldi tomorrow:yahoo:

Give it a whirl lads, I don't think you'll be disappointed (as long as you like marmalade).

I used Lidl thick cut marmalade. Some heavy shaking for the first week or two, the marmalade doesn't completely break down, at least not in the quantity I used. No extra sugar needed imho. Then just leave for a while.

Might have to give the marmalade gin a try next. Let me know how yours comes out hambone.

33 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

I take it you had to strain it then.?

I'm sure the marmalade from Aldi hasn't any peel, I'm thinking it would just dissolve.

Well, I should have, but in truth I walked in from a long day at work. Fancied a drink.  Saw the bottle. Decided to give it a try and just threw a drop into a glass.

marmalade.jpg

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Mine is already brewing. Aldi this morning, 1 ltr vodka and some of their thick cut marmalade. Now patiently wait.

That's the hard part!

I have Vodka with blackberries and Gin with blackberries approaching the filtering/decanting stages.

1 hour ago, salop sniper said:

Any guidance on the amount of Marmalade to vodka ?

I pour a jar of Seville or Blood Orange Marmalade into a two litre coke bottle and then top up with two bottles of cheap vodka. Wait 'til it's macerated nicely for a few days and then pour back into the vodka bottles and then drink the bit that won't fit back in!!

20 hours ago, Danger-Mouse said:

Give it a whirl lads, I don't think you'll be disappointed (as long as you like marmalade).

I used Lidl thick cut marmalade. Some heavy shaking for the first week or two, the marmalade doesn't completely break down, at least not in the quantity I used. No extra sugar needed imho. Then just leave for a while.

Might have to give the marmalade gin a try next. Let me know how yours comes out hambone.

I saw the recipe on facebook, its marmalade and bay (also calls for extra orange zest). Let you know in about a fortnight if my patience holds out, if not Friday evening.  :good:

25 minutes ago, hambone said:

We have a cynic :lol::lol::lol: Do you not understand the work and effort that goes into blending these spirits to raise them beyond a mere 'vodka and orange'

I'm entitled to be a cynic....I'm old!:lol: Dunno about marmalade vodka...........but I know about Damson Vodka :good: lol!

Just given the marmalade and bay gin a go, little sip neat the orange taste comes through (very nice) but in a tall glass (pint) with tonic it's smoother but not such a noticeable change. I'll leave it in the kilner jar for another week and report back.

Impatient lot aren't you? :lol:

For those desirous of instant gratification I recommend honey vodka. Simply add a decent amount of honey, maybe a 5th or 6th part of whatever container you're using. Top up with vodka and then shake until the honey is dissolved. Then drink. Smooth, warm and sweet .