Marmalade Vodka

Danger-Mouse

11 hours ago, Danger-Mouse said:

Impatient lot aren't you?

For those desirous of instant gratification I recommend honey vodka. Simply add a decent amount of honey, maybe a 5th or 6th part of whatever container you're using. Top up with vodka and then shake until the honey is dissolved. Then drink. Smooth, warm and sweet .

That is much nicer if you use whisky as the spirit!:yes:

I have just added a jar of Aldi Marmalade to 3/4 of a litre of old vodka, now the wait begins.:yes:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Yes Bourbon would work, if I can stop people drinking it before I can add the honey!:rolleyes:

The vodka in our house apparently evaporates through a tightened lid.:hmm:Hence the vodka and gin is in the Gunroom.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Additional details, punctuation and spellage.

22 hours ago, guzzicat said:

My Grandmother used to make really nice rhubarb & ginger jam, I took the hint & have some Rhubarb & ginger Vodka on the go, might add some Marmalade to one batch & try it

St Dalfour do a very nice orange and ginger marmalade - I wonder if that would work

Edited by amateur

21 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Try it and let us know!:good:

20 hours ago, old'un said:

Does this marmalade vodka taste like Cointreau?

14 hours ago, Walker570 said:

No, like marmalade

Difficult to pin it down but certainly with this marmalade, you could taste the oranges.  Not as nice a drink on it's own, like sloe gin or fig vodka but with a dash of prosecco or tonic water it was a very nice drink. 

Ok, so yesterday I experimented with a large measure of vodka and a teaspoon of the St Dalfour orange and ginger marmalade.

Stirred it well and left it to stand for a few hours.

I drank the tincture last night.

A good hit of orange, the ginger came through too, but rather sweet for me, very like Cointreau

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just been to shake the bottle and wonder if there is a finite amount of marmalade that a given measure of vodka can support?

May have to decant and refresh with new vodka!

Probably. My original batch still had undissolved marmalade even after several months and a lot of shaking.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 22:02, Danger-Mouse said:

Give it a whirl lads, I don't think you'll be disappointed (as long as you like marmalade).

I used Lidl thick cut marmalade. Some heavy shaking for the first week or two, the marmalade doesn't completely break down, at least not in the quantity I used. No extra sugar needed imho. Then just leave for a while.

Might have to give the marmalade gin a try next. Let me know how yours comes out hambone.

Just had another go at it and have to say the extra week has made a big difference, orange is coming through over the tonic. Very nice :good:

2 hours ago, Danger-Mouse said:

Probably. My original batch still had undissolved marmalade even after several months and a lot of shaking.

I strained (more like wrung) the undissolved marmalade and bay leaves in a 'Leo pea' bag over a funnel into the bottle  

Edited by hambone

13 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just been to shake the bottle and wonder if there is a finite amount of marmalade that a given measure of vodka can support?

May have to decant and refresh with new vodka!

10 hours ago, Danger-Mouse said:

I see, well we may have to conduct further trials then!

16 hours ago, Danger-Mouse said:

Still haven't sorted mine...the undissolved bit has me thinking,

I think I'll put the lot through a blender first see if it makes a difference.

Just got in from a long day out in Sussex. Eaten a roast dinner turned the computer on and have to say, I have not tried it yet!

Just tried it and it is wonderful, what a great way to make cheap vodka very drinkable.:yes:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE