Would the difference be noticeable...

Following on from my 3/4 Full choke thread, where I talk about how I am finding the change to a tighter choke set up... it got me thinking...

I shoot clays mainly with my Beretta 690 Field 30". 

I have always liked the idea of having a gun specifically for clay shooting, rough shooting etc etc (I'm sure we all do..) 

I have been looking online at said clay guns and specifically the Beretta 692 and Blaser F16 and Winchester Select Energy sporting Adjutable. They're the 3 I quite like (I appriciate the Winchetser is considerably cheaper than the initial two) 

In regards to my Beretta 690 Field and the Beretta 692... fundamentally they're the same gun, with the 692 having a higher spec in terms of barrel 'technology' (Steelium plus - forcing cones) and the BFast system in the butt and the slightly wider reciever - All of which Beretta say is to help bust clays! 

Now, I understand the most important thing is gun fit, and it's something I always say to people who ask me about shooting in general etc...but, my question.... 

My Beretta 690 Field, feels lovely to shoulder and fits me well...it's a joy to shoot. Now based on that, theoretically speaking let's say the 692 fits me equally as well and feels equally nice to shoulder... Would I hit more clays with Berettas dedicated clay, 690 actioned gun, than I would with their dedicated field gun? 

Generally just curious and would love to get the opinions of more experienced clay shooters amongst us. 

I suppose the question being, have you upgraded to or added alongside your collection a dedicated clay gun and noticed a  difference in a) how you shoot, b) your scores and c) the quality of the breaks... 

Thanks in advance, maybe this might interest others also :)

Dave  

For a bit of added interest here is a pic I took on my phone towards the end of last week's round... most of you know I love my photography so I couldn't resist ;)

LRM_EXPORT_20180304_131253.jpg

Edited by WinchesterDave

I think the comments "It fits me well and it is a joy to shoot" say it all. IF, you are keeping the 690 and can try a 692, then OK. BUT if you are having to trade in the 690, you may just live to regret getting rid. I SPEAK from some very expensive experiences !  If it ain't broken.......................an all that !

11 minutes ago, Westley said:

I think the comments "It fits me well and it is a joy to shoot" say it all. IF, you are keeping the 690 and can try a 692, then OK. BUT if you are having to trade in the 690, you may just live to regret getting rid. I SPEAK from some very expensive experiences !  If it ain't broken.......................an all that !

Yes, I agree. Just theoretical questions really :good: 

I have upgraded my clay gun a couple of times, the problem is no one can give you a definitive answer it is all down to personal choice.

However I am so glad I upgraded each time, the caveat as already pointed out is keeping your old gun. I upgraded from a Browning ultra XS to a Beretta DT10 things were great for about a year and a half then I hit a slump and got it into my head the Browning was better and the DT 10 was the problem even though I hadn’t shot the Browning for a year and a half.

I brought the Browning out of retirement to reclaim my former glory only to find out I really didn’t like shooting it at all anymore, the DT10 was better for me, I just hit a slump and it was me not the gun.

The genuine thing is if I didn’t have my old gun to take out and try even to this day I would think the swap was a bad mistake, the fact I had still had it to take out made me realise I needed to go back to basics and just knuckle down on technique.

The DT10 was just nicer to shoot, no idea if it actually improved my scores over the Browning had I stuck with that but I genuinely did prefer shooting it regarding recoil, swing and handling. Even though the DT10 got me into the 90’s ex 100 at registered sporting I’ve since changed to a CG summit assent and I prefer shooting that now.

A change in gun is never going to take a C class shooter to AA but it might make him more consistent due to weight and balance and absorbing the recoil ..

1 hour ago, timps said:

I have upgraded my clay gun a couple of times, the problem is no one can give you a definitive answer it is all down to personal choice.

However I am so glad I upgraded each time, the caveat as already pointed out is keeping your old gun. I upgraded from a Browning ultra XS to a Beretta DT10 things were great for about a year and a half then I hit a slump and got it into my head the Browning was better and the DT 10 was the problem even though I hadn’t shot the Browning for a year and a half.

I brought the Browning out of retirement to reclaim my former glory only to find out I really didn’t like shooting it at all anymore, the DT10 was better for me, I just hit a slump and it was me not the gun.

The genuine thing is if I didn’t have my old gun to take out and try even to this day I would think the swap was a bad mistake, the fact I had still had it to take out made me realise I needed to go back to basics and just knuckle down on technique.

The DT10 was just nicer to shoot, no idea if it actually improved my scores over the Browning had I stuck with that but I genuinely did prefer shooting it regarding recoil, swing and handling. Even though the DT10 got me into the 90’s ex 100 at registered sporting I’ve since changed to a CG summit assent and I prefer shooting that now.

A change in gun is never going to take a C class shooter to AA but it might make him more consistent due to weight and balance and absorbing the recoil ..

Cheers for taking the time to reply timps, makes sense and what I was looking for certainly. 

Dave :good:

The difference of a sporting gun to a game gun is typically a little bit of extra weight to soak up the recoil and the barrel ribs are ventilated to help cooling.

Quite often with a game gun if you put a of of shells through them relatively quickly you get a bit of heat haze from the barrels that can blur the targets.  More of an issue for trap type disciplines really.

I would say if your current gun fits you well and you are confident when using it then stick with it.  If you start swapping between guns the sight picture will differ slightly, the handling will certainly differ and it is more likely to have a negative impact on your shooting, both game and clays, than the other way round.

If you start shooting competitions or clays a lot then a move to another gun is probably beneficial, but that is really to reduce the impact of the recoil through using a heavier gun.

As for the quality of the breaks that is down to pattern density only, so cartridge type and choking.

Just for info the 692 does not have superior technology barrels. Steelium Plus is marketingspeak only. All Beretta factory built guns, including the DT-11 have the same technology barrels (properly called cold hammer forging rather than Steelium) and made from the same "Excelsior HSA" steel. Also the action frame width and in fact the whole action is the same for the 690 & 692 and both the 692 and 690 sporter are heavier than the 690 field. The 692 also has a palm swell, longer forcing cones and adjustable trigger shoe.

For clays/game mixed duty I'd always pick a sporter over a field model.

4 hours ago, Westward said:

Just for info the 692 does not have superior technology barrels. Steelium Plus is marketingspeak only. All Beretta factory built guns, including the DT-11 have the same technology barrels (properly called cold hammer forging rather than Steelium) and made from the same "Excelsior HSA" steel. Also the action frame width and in fact the whole action is the same for the 690 & 692 and both the 692 and 690 sporter are heavier than the 690 field. The 692 also has a palm swell, longer forcing cones and adjustable trigger shoe.

For clays/game mixed duty I'd always pick a sporter over a field model.

Thanks for the clarification mate :good: