Why....and what do we do about it?

Scully

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Would be possible to bill the fast food restaurants for their customers poor litter habits?

I believe there is a consultation underway on this very thing with a view to establishing liability for collection of branded litter within a given distance from the restaurant/shop.

Back to the original question there is no easy or single answer to the problem.  It requires attitudinal and cultural change in our society as a whole.  Depressingly we are a society that has a ridiculous sense of entitlement where we expect other people to always do things for us, the recent snowfall is a perfect example where some people refuse to pick up a shovel as it is the council's job to keep roads clear.

So long as people believe they will get away with any indiscretion and there is no immediate consequence for them then it will continue unabated.

Perhaps if folks are caught being litterbugs then the punishment should be a mandatory and extended period of litter picking.  That may go someway to re-educating those who are caught.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the same round here,just go up the a140 or a14 and the hedges have been trimmed making all the rubbish visable,its as though the bin lorry just emptied its contents along the road all the verges are completely covered with every type of plastic.

Never used to be like this,only in last few years,have witnessed first had a car full of youths unloading their rubbish out the windows as i followed them up the road.unbelievable . 

I am amazed how many times the rubbish is neatly tied up in a plastic bag, then hurled out of the window.

Some of the slip roads off the A1 are now covered by CCTV it is so bad.

Perhaps instilling children with the right attitude by both the parents and schools from an early age might help.

I am always pleased at country shows how good people are at using the bins. A bit of a contrast to the rock concerts and music festivals.

Simple solution to drastically reduce the rubbish and the cost of cleaning up 

ban takeaway food 

either eat at home or sat at a table in a restaurant cafe or pub eating off of a plate with a knife and fork 

absolutely hate seeing people walking up the high street eating junk food with there fingers 

theres absolutley no need for it 

just my view 

all the best 

of 

5 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Simple solution to drastically reduce the rubbish and the cost of cleaning up 

ban takeaway food 

either eat at home or sat at a table in a restaurant cafe or pub eating off of a plate with a knife and fork 

absolutely hate seeing people walking up the high street eating junk food with there fingers 

theres absolutley no need for it 

just my view 

all the best 

of 

Even a bag of chips ???

it would the saving of the nations health but would never happen.

On 3/7/2018 at 13:32, Lloyd90 said:

Rather than worrying about getting people to pick it up, I think they need to focus on stopping people dropping it! 

There are signs up in Wales - “Drop Litter? Pick up a fine!” 

They need to spend more time and resources enforcing it. They’ve got the number plates of the culprits. These are public areas so no problem with CCTV. 

This is something that annoys me, 90% of them are just lazy *******! 

Yup, it is as simple at that.  You could put a bin every 10 yards and the lazy muppets would still drop it at their feet.

43 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Even a bag of chips ???

it would the saving of the nations health but would never happen.

Certainly would help 

? Have you ever seen hand washing facilities for customers in a takeaway fast food outlet or a chip shop 

they know your going to eat it with your fingers 

maybe the larger part of the population has cleaner jobs than me 

On 3/7/2018 at 21:21, Scully said:

I alerted a driver about the rubbish his young passenger had chucked from a stationary vehicle last year while in the Lakes; he wasn't best pleased but did get out to collect it. 

Once while on site and sat in a car park having a bite to eat with a former boss when we saw a bloke empty his ashtray out of his van window. The boss got a shovel, walked over to the van, scooped up the fag ends and while the bloke watched, opened his door and threw in the fag ends and walked away. I bought him a drink on the way home. 

I had a similar thing. Years ago I had a problem with someone dumping multiple black  plastic bags full of rubbish - mostly lawn cuttings, but also empty paint tins, plastic fittings, etc- into  the ditch on my farm road. It was a weekly event that went on for months, and every time I'd have to climb into the ditch and clear this **** out and dispose of it. Then one day, as I was coming up the road from the steading in the Landrover I saw this woman getting into her car just where the rubbish was always dropped. She was already away before I could catch her but a quick jump out and check showed a new bunch of bags. I drove after her, and eventually caught up and followed her to an expensive looking upmarket property in a nearby new-build development. To be honest, I was pretty angry at the time so I just noted the address and went home. Then I got a tractor with an 8 ton trailer, loaded all the **** and cuttings that I still had lying about the place from the ditch plus a few bits and pieces by way of interest on the loan, drove back to the upmarket property, opened the gate, reversed the tractor and trailer up the driveway and slid the whole lot off outside the front door. Then after stopping to shut the gate behind me, I just drove off. There was no more rubbish in the ditch after that.

My daughter is at her wits end with her neighbour's son and his mates - they sit in their cars in the street outside her house and just dump their fast-food junk out of the window.
She gets on well with the woman but has resorted to picking up the rubbish and dumping it on her drive.
That doesn't seem to have resolved the issue though - seems like the woman has no influence over her son and her friends.

On 07/03/2018 at 12:43, Scully said:

Stuck in traffic at road works on A66 and didn't do more than 15 mile an hour for around a couple of miles, and was astonished at the amount of litter strewn into our hedgerows. Hadn't realised it was so bad!

Not only was the ( at least)  three foot high hedgerow itself covered in those plastic expandable tubes they put on saplings to prevent rabbits barking them, but without exaggeration I doubt you could take more than a couple of steps without encountering a plastic bottle, a styrofoam container, an aluminium drinks can and all manner of junk. Crisp packets, fag packets, drinks cartons; absolutely amazing at the amount of litter. Why? What is wrong with some people and why do they do this ?  There are some places where some vehicle has obviously pulled into a lay-by, and instead of walking to the bin provided, the litterer has just obviously emptied their vehicle and piled it all in a heap next to a fence. There is even some of that blue and white police tape littering a hedge and hanging from a tree, left there since the police marked the scene of a fatality at least two months ago!

It's ok saying that we should get the unemployed or borstal inmates to pick it up ( I have actually seen some juveniles doing this under supervision near Penrith ) but unless it's on a dual carriageway it means coning off one lane, and then we'd be complaining about that. What do other countries do about this? 

We can learn from Singapore.

A few years back when i used to live in Saddleworth, i got sick to death of the approach roads and drive way to the local school being full of litter.I decided to take action and collected 4 huge black bin bags full of litter and marched up to see the head master, on entering his office i upended all the sacks all over the floor and explained i was returning lost property from his students.Not content with my actions and having the ear of the press as a pal, i phoned up scoop and told him what i had done. He rang the head master who refused to  comment and the story went in the local rag.. It did seem tidier after my actions but only for about 6 months. from Auntie.

Many years ago I was in a Redditch shopping centre and saw someone drop a Snickers wrapper, I picked it up and ran after them. I pressed it into their hand and said, "Excuse me, you've dropped this"

I hate seeing litter.

Edited by Ricko

3 minutes ago, Ricko said:

Many years ago I was in a Redditch shopping centre and saw someone drop a Snickers wrapper, I picked it up and ran after them. I pressed it into their hand and said, "Excuse me, you've dropped this"

They were probably to THICK to appreciate you gesture.   How long did it take for your cut lip to heal ?...:lol:

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

I can if you can;  about Singapore. 

Sorry Scully  I worked there for a couple of years the place is spotless very civilised and will not tolerate rubbish thrown onto the streets. Chewing gum barred. Liverpool where I live and many towns and cities around the uk the spotted chewing gum pavements are an absolute disgrace. When Lee  Yew took over in1959 and retired in 1990 he turned the country into the most prosperous in South East Asia.  While working there a guy was caught throwing a fag on the pavement for six months he was made to brush the streets and was shown twice a day on their television. The people think clean and are clean unlike some individuals here.

7 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

Sorry Scully  I worked there for a couple of years the place is spotless very civilised and will not tolerate rubbish thrown onto the streets. Chewing gum barred. Liverpool where I live and many towns and cities around the uk the spotted chewing gum pavements are an absolute disgrace. When Lee  Yew took over in1959 and retired in 1990 he turned the country into the most prosperous in South East Asia.  While working there a guy was caught throwing a fag on the pavement for six months he was made to brush the streets and was shown twice a day on their television. The people think clean and are clean unlike some individuals here.

Ah, with you now. My apologies also; my comment was intended tongue in cheek as I ( wrongly ) assumed perhaps offenders had their hands chopped off or whatever. :)

Having just read up on it I see what you mean; but it's only effective if the offender is caught doing it. I can't see how it will prevent people littering the roadsides the way they are currently. 

As others have mentioned; teaching right from wrong begins in the home in schools; in my opinion, once we have to resort to legislation we've given up. 

2 hours ago, krugerandsmith said:

Been there, loved it!

A clean, ordered, polite society I thought.

Was particularly impressed with some miscreants who were cleaning the steps of a subway with toothbrushes, under supervision of course.

28 minutes ago, old man said:

Been there, loved it!

A clean, ordered, polite society I thought.

Was particularly impressed with some miscreants who were cleaning the steps of a subway with toothbrushes, under supervision of course.

Brill idea. Lets send any underprivileged and disadvantaged young people who are caught dropping litter to Singapore for two weeks to see how they should behave, that will stop it. Must suggest it to the next government, defiantly a vote winner. I am of course using  ygolocyhp 

4 minutes ago, Howling Hound said:

Brill idea. Lets send any underprivileged and disadvantaged young people who are caught dropping litter to Singapore for two weeks to see how they should behave, that will stop it. Must suggest it to the next government, defiantly a vote winner. I am of course using  ygolocyhp 

I fear Jezza and Di on to the suggestion already as part of their education reforms?