Why....and what do we do about it?

Scully

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Howling Hound said:

Brill idea. Lets send any underprivileged and disadvantaged young people who are caught dropping litter to Singapore for two weeks to see how they should behave, that will stop it. Must suggest it to the next government, defiantly a vote winner. I am of course using  ygolocyhp 

Go on then, tell me ygolocyhp?

A very clever dog is you?

5 hours ago, Scully said:

Ah, with you now. My apologies also; my comment was intended tongue in cheek as I ( wrongly ) assumed perhaps offenders had their hands chopped off or whatever. :)

Having just read up on it I see what you mean; but it's only effective if the offender is caught doing it. I can't see how it will prevent people littering the roadsides the way they are currently. 

As others have mentioned; teaching right from wrong begins in the home in schools; in my opinion, once we have to resort to legislation we've given up. 

Yes I agree.  Another incident that happened was a school girl hit a classmate and knocked her to the ground.  The girl was placed on probation for six months. Her parents went to jail for two weeks for .......Failing to bring up the child in the correct sway. 18 thousand Taxis and behind the drivers seats are notices which say ..... You were not born a parent evening classes can help you.

On 3/7/2018 at 12:43, Scully said:

Stuck in traffic at road works on A66 and didn't do more than 15 mile an hour for around a couple of miles, and was astonished at the amount of litter strewn into our hedgerows. Hadn't realised it was so bad!

Not only was the ( at least)  three foot high hedgerow itself covered in those plastic expandable tubes they put on saplings to prevent rabbits barking them, but without exaggeration I doubt you could take more than a couple of steps without encountering a plastic bottle, a styrofoam container, an aluminium drinks can and all manner of junk. Crisp packets, fag packets, drinks cartons; absolutely amazing at the amount of litter. Why? What is wrong with some people and why do they do this ?  There are some places where some vehicle has obviously pulled into a lay-by, and instead of walking to the bin provided, the litterer has just obviously emptied their vehicle and piled it all in a heap next to a fence. There is even some of that blue and white police tape littering a hedge and hanging from a tree, left there since the police marked the scene of a fatality at least two months ago!

It's ok saying that we should get the unemployed or borstal inmates to pick it up ( I have actually seen some juveniles doing this under supervision near Penrith ) but unless it's on a dual carriageway it means coning off one lane, and then we'd be complaining about that. What do other countries do about this? 

We live approx. 20 miles from the nearest McDonalds and I get fed up with seeing all the take away rubbish on the road and grass verges.  Can’t they be made to print the cars reg number on the cartons and if found a fine issued?

It’s one of those things - you’re either brought up not to drop litter and not to park in disabled spaces or you behave like a pig and do whatever you want - we all know and have seen the type.

Only the other day I saw a car full of snarling twenty somethings in a razzed up 3 series empty a full ashtray on the ground in the B&Q car park. They knew full well what they were doing and so you couldn’t approach and use the time old classic of politely saying ‘excuse me I think this accidentally fell out of your pocket’. If you approach and ask them to pick it up, the answer will be ‘no’ in which case you have immediate confrontation, or you then have to walk away and in which case they then get a boost and feel more full of themselves and rewarded for having intimidated someone, done as they pleased and got away with it - a very dangerous reward for foul behaviour - you wouldn’t train any animal like that :lol:

The answer is more police and a greater sense that if you commit a crime (no matter how trivial) there will be action, detection and consequence,

We are miles and miles away from that - you visit the average school playing field just after the travellers are moved on. That tells you everything you need to know about where we currently are as a society.

13 hours ago, saab6110 said:

We live approx. 20 miles from the nearest McDonalds and I get fed up with seeing all the take away rubbish on the road and grass verges.  Can’t they be made to print the cars reg number on the cartons and if found a fine issued?

How can you make the seller responsible for the customer actions?

We need the current law applied not new unworkable, unfair ones maybe?

26 minutes ago, old man said:

How can you make the seller responsible for the customer actions?

We need the current law applied not new unworkable, unfair ones maybe?

Dont think you have read it correctly, it wouldn't be Mac d that got the fine but the lout who lobbed the rubbish out the window.

18 hours ago, saab6110 said:

What a splendid idea and wouldn't be difficult to impliment. from Auntie,.

15 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

What a splendid idea and wouldn't be difficult to impliment. from Auntie,.

It's certainly an idea...a step in the right direction perhaps, to alert people that littering is wrong and there are consequences. Littering is already unlawful however, and much depends on the litter being collected in the first place ( if it was we wouldn't be seeing it in our verges and elsewhere ) and then finding the reg' number on the offending article still legible or even intact. 

In my home town, post Gypsy Horse Fair, a very small number of the travellers stay behind to help council workers clear up on the site itself, but the huge skips located around town and the massive clear up of litter in the streets, is paid for with an increased council tax for the locals. The litter in the river is simply left. To fish this river during and after the Fair is an eye opener. 

As Mungler has stated; it's a sad reflection of where we are as a society. 

On 3/12/2018 at 18:28, saab6110 said:

The cartons, cups and rubbish seem to be in good condition so a reg plate printed on there should still be readable.   

Fair enough, but if a person knows they're on there wouldn't they just remove them? It would also only apply to drive throughs wouldn't it? 

I meant to comment the other day ( but forgot ) because the police tape was removed sometime last week, only a matter of days after I started this thread! :ninja: :)

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Fair enough, but if a person knows they're on there wouldn't they just remove them? It would also only apply to drive throughs wouldn't it? 

I meant to comment the other day ( but forgot ) because the police tape was removed sometime last week, only a matter of days after I started this thread!  

:good:

4 hours ago, Scully said:

I meant to comment the other day ( but forgot ) because the police tape was removed sometime last week, only a matter of days after I started this thread! :ninja: :)

You're a watched man :/

13 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

In order to see an improvement you will need to find a way of changing our culture back to what it once was!

This is the real answer , it's mainly down to education , and teaching people that it's wrong ,from an early age.

Working for a local authority, I've spent more than my fair share of time picking up dropped litter ,and fly tipping. I know that plans were put in place years ago for most shops that produse drop able litter , to sponsor a bin ,maybe not outside that particular shop,but in a place that the litter from that shop might get dropped.  I'm not honestly sure now ,but I would guess, that massive cutbacks have seen the end of this initiative, and many similar initiatives. 

Reg numbers printed onto fast food wrappers would be a great idea ,and in many instances would definitely work , most litter dumpers would be too thick and lazy to remove their reg number, so may well get caught ., the biggest problem would be local authority enforcement officers, they've all gone !, their numbers were one of the first casualties of the cutbacks.

Massive cutbacks are the main reason why you'll be noticing more litter , it's because it just isn't being picked up now, if the local authority have a choice between emptying your bin ,or litter picking your street , then bin emptying it is.