Why....and what do we do about it?

Scully

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

This is the real answer , it's mainly down to education , and teaching people that it's wrong ,from an early age.

Working for a local authority, I've spent more than my fair share of time picking up dropped litter ,and fly tipping. I know that plans were put in place years ago for most shops that produse drop able litter , to sponsor a bin ,maybe not outside that particular shop,but in a place that the litter from that shop might get dropped.  I'm not honestly sure now ,but I would guess, that massive cutbacks have seen the end of this initiative, and many similar initiatives. 

Reg numbers printed onto fast food wrappers would be a great idea ,and in many instances would definitely work , most litter dumpers would be too thick and lazy to remove their reg number, so may well get caught ., the biggest problem would be local authority enforcement officers, they've all gone !, their numbers were one of the first casualties of the cutbacks.

Massive cutbacks are the main reason why you'll be noticing more litter , it's because it just isn't being picked up now, if the local authority have a choice between emptying your bin ,or litter picking your street , then bin emptying it is.

If the councils could keep the fines they would be all over it like a rash - a prime example of this already in place is parking.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

In order to see an improvement you will need to find a way of changing our culture back to what it once was!

Even with the pinkest of spectacles that's never going to be possible, those in charge like it too much the way it is. 

Bucket fulls of cash in someones back skyrocket, always follow the money?