Cartridges

DanBettin

What differences have you noticed when switching cartridges?

It may be that I'm not paying enough attention to recoil or how the clay smashes but I can't say I've genuinely noticed a difference from cartridge to cartridge of the same load (obviously 21g and 28g kick differently).

I'm asking this in the 'clay shooting' section since I appreciate there are different loads that are best for game etc. I'm asking more about the performance of clay cartridges.

I've been wondering whether it's worth me paying more attention to the likes of chokes and cartridges now that I feel I'm progressing a bit, or whether it's all neither here or there.

I would say if you are confident in the cartridges that you normally shoot then don't worry about it.

There are differences in cartridges, but whether that difference is meaningful to you is completely subjective.  Also the one thing that is true for the absolutely vast majority of us is that every cartridge on the market is better than us.

If you need to exorcise the demon then get your self a few boxes of a few different brands and type that you can get a hold of easily and that are at a price point that you can afford.  Then have a play and see what feels best.  Shoot stations 3, 4 and 5 on a skeet layout with each type, shoot a couple of different sporting stands and shoot a dozen trap style targets and see if any cartridge stands out as having a better feel to you.

Once you decide then put it out your head and be content you did your homework and simply concentrate on banging the gun.

As for chokes they do make a difference too, but for too many the difference becomes a mental one where confidence starts to erode and you doubt yourself.  I would say stick with what you have been doing so far until you decide on your cartridge choice, once you have a month or two of shooting those under your belt then start swapping between chokes and see what difference it makes to you.  As above shot a few stations on skeet, shoot a few sporting stands and shoot a few trap targets, that way you you cover a lot of what you will see and will have a good appreciation of how different chokes respond with your chosen cartridge.

Above all else ignore any hype that says x brand of choke is better than y brand, or an aftermarket brand is always better then the manufacturers.  They are tubes of metal machined to a given dimension and nothing more complicated than that, there is no magic or secret sauce and they are all vastly overpriced for what they are.

14 hours ago, grrclark said:

I would say if you are confident in the cartridges that you normally shoot then don't worry about it.

There are differences in cartridges, but whether that difference is meaningful to you is completely subjective.  Also the one thing that is true for the absolutely vast majority of us is that every cartridge on the market is better than us.

If you need to exorcise the demon then get your self a few boxes of a few different brands and type that you can get a hold of easily and that are at a price point that you can afford.  Then have a play and see what feels best.  Shoot stations 3, 4 and 5 on a skeet layout with each type, shoot a couple of different sporting stands and shoot a dozen trap style targets and see if any cartridge stands out as having a better feel to you.

Once you decide then put it out your head and be content you did your homework and simply concentrate on banging the gun.

As for chokes they do make a difference too, but for too many the difference becomes a mental one where confidence starts to erode and you doubt yourself.  I would say stick with what you have been doing so far until you decide on your cartridge choice, once you have a month or two of shooting those under your belt then start swapping between chokes and see what difference it makes to you.  As above shot a few stations on skeet, shoot a few sporting stands and shoot a few trap targets, that way you you cover a lot of what you will see and will have a good appreciation of how different chokes respond with your chosen cartridge.

Above all else ignore any hype that says x brand of choke is better than y brand, or an aftermarket brand is always better then the manufacturers.  They are tubes of metal machined to a given dimension and nothing more complicated than that, there is no magic or secret sauce and they are all vastly overpriced for what they are.

Touche to that!

17 hours ago, grrclark said:

Nice reply mate. Food for thought. I'll do just that next time I buy some cartridges. Thanks.