Pigeons on rape

Hi

Id suggest trying to get someone with some experience to go with you first, pigeon shooting this time of year can be quite fickle and it would be a shame to spend a ton of money on something that you don’t get the best out of

Rape can be a real PITA to shoot, normally because there is so much of it about and after spending time setting up and taking your first shot the birds simply move to a  more peaceful field nearby - you can spend all day chasing a flock. Without knowing the lay of your land i.e. nearby woods and crops it's almost impossible to offer any worthwhile advice but basics such as cold Weather and Wind are likely to increase your chances. Rather than spend a fortune on equipment you may never use again I would risk buying, say 30, flocked decoys and a lightweight hide that can be erected quickly then spend time moving around your land and just finding your feet. 30 may seem a bit of an overkill but this time of year pigeons flock together and when they approach a field they expect to see flocks feeding. Sorry I cannot be of much more help but at least if you are out there then you are protecting the crops.

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Rape can be a real PITA to shoot, normally because there is so much of it about and after spending time setting up and taking your first shot the birds simply move to a  more peaceful field nearby - you can spend all day chasing a flock. Without knowing the lay of your land i.e. nearby woods and crops it's almost impossible to offer any worthwhile advice but basics such as cold Weather and Wind are likely to increase your chances. Rather than spend a fortune on equipment you may never use again I would risk buying, say 30, flocked decoys and a lightweight hide that can be erected quickly then spend time moving around your land and just finding your feet. 30 may seem a bit of an overkill but this time of year pigeons flock together and when they approach a field they expect to see flocks feeding. Sorry I cannot be of much more help but at least if you are out there then you are protecting the crops.

Thanks

There is a wood where the pens are and roost shooting was suggested, just wondered if there was an alternative that might give better results.

Maybe flight lining?

TBH spending a little now wouldn't be a bad thing as I suspect I'd be able to shoot there quite often if all went well.

2 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

A location could be helpfull you may be close to a member that can help you.

Gloucestershire 

Edited by dorianbuilders
Add more info

15 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Hi again

What hide would you recommend and the best place to get it from?

Sorry to be a pain!

Regards

Adrian

If you don't mind spending a few quid, get a few decent hide poles from somewhere like uksw and get a net or two to go with them. Some people just cut branches from trees to fashion a hide, instead.

Spend some time watching where the pigeons like to feed and rest up. Try going after them at different times of the day. Learn their ways. Experience in the field is a key to success.

27 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, where abouts are you in Gloucestershire Alan

Yes, the op is in Gloucestershire, mind you that covers a fairly big area.

Sorry didn’t see you were asking where about’s the op was in Gloucestershire:blush:

Edited because I put my fingers into gear before my brain, my excuse…old age.

Edited by old'un