Irritated paws

Lloyd90

Anyone know any remedies for irritated paws and possible allergies? 

Out visiting family abroad and they have a lovely mastiff x ridgeback but he gets things like pollen on his paws and they get red and inflamed - he then licks them and they get worse. 

Hes on Lorreradine anti histamine and some steroid (blue tablets - 20mg of presnisolone)  but they’ve never got him good enough to just be on the anti histamine. 

He also has his feet washed in Malaceb anti fungal wash once a week ish at least and more if he’s bad. 

Issues they are having is that they can’t walk him that much as when he is out a lot it gets much worse and his feet really flare up - and they’re not too happy leaving him home all day. 

When it is bad he can lick it a lot and get sores on his feet which can wheep and are open. 

Aopreciate any remedies or tips :) 

8 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Long shot but with pollen being a fair weather problem would some kind of Barrier Cream be any good - like Engineering Workshops etc use, no good in wet weather obviously but might help?

They’re in Oz mate so might be worth a try 

thanks 

My lab had similar problem and it turned out to be a folicle 'mange' where a minute little creature gets into the folicles and causes irritation, dogs licks and then a lick liepoma...is that how it's spelt forms ....big red swelling and loss of hair.  My vet gave me some stuff to put in a bath of warm water and have the dog stand in it for ten to fifteen minutes twice a day and then put socks on his feet to stop the licking. Eventually got it sorted, but the vet said it can be very difficult to treat.  Heh! Hope it isn't that.

My lab gets sore feet, the flesh between the toes.  It seems to come on after prolonged wet spells first noticed when he seems to be avoiding puddles.

We got a bleddy great tub of Sudocrem (Amazon).  It takes 2-3 applications over a couple of days.

I liken it to foot scold that sheep get.

Our German Shepherd gets real sore paws during wet months,vet has had him in and done scans on his liver and thankfully that's ok, as we lost our last one though this (on my avatar).

He had biopsy and bloods which all came back fine.

We kept him on front lawn which is just grass for a week,all good,then in back garden full of trees and general mud/grass for a week and all good,all the while drying  his feet every time he had been out and washing once a day,after the second week took him on his regular walk up the lane and round the fields and up the come again,start process over and now we don't go beside the fields and he is fine.

Both my labs go on same walk at same time and neither have a problem.