'Flow State' in Shooting

As you might notice from a few of my threads, I over-analyse things, which is why I've struggled to improve for years and why this sport is great for me - teaches me to stop thinking. I find I've made MASSIVE improvements to my shooting (literally doubled my score) by only allowing myself to put it any conscious effort up until the point I call pull, then I shut my mind up.

I'm into the details of how things work, so was looking into why it's so effective and wanted to share some of the videos that explain the science behind what exactly happens when you enter that 'flow' state. Interesting stuff.

EDIT: Just noticed the irony in over-analysing the science behind over-analysing things. Interesting to know why it works, anyway.

Edited by DanBettin

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But you stated you over-think things, I don't, I go shooting.

The thread's simply not for you then. If this adds no value because you're not interested in the science behind sports psychology, that's totally fine. I'm not sure I understand your point. And, again, going shooting and taking an interest in what happens when you perform well/badly at shooting aren't mutually exclusive.

Edited by DanBettin

The vids were very interesting in many ways but I think it all depends on what you wont out of your sport, everyone's different. I go with a group of lads to the local clay ground every Tuesday when its quiet, after which its a steak at Wetherspoons. Then its home to our wives, with battery's recharged.  Its great fun with the cracks, jokes and comments.

Do we hit much? - no, but we frighten a few.  (too busy laughing)

Are we improving? -  probably but would improve better if we took the day more seriously

Would we change anything - yes bigger clays (18" dia would do)

Once met a very good shot who was very upset that he missed 4, I was ecstatic that I had hit 65. I know who was happiest. 

Old Man once told me that Perfectionism is the Anti-Christ of Fun. You can get a lot of enjoyment out of getting something as near perfect as possible, but you get very little fun out of it.

It all depends on what you want out of it.

35 minutes ago, Howling Hound said:

The vids were very interesting in many ways but I think it all depends on what you wont out of your sport, everyone's different. I go with a group of lads to the local clay ground every Tuesday when its quiet, after which its a steak at Wetherspoons. Then its home to our wives, with battery's recharged.  Its great fun with the cracks, jokes and comments.

Do we hit much? - no, but we frighten a few.  (too busy laughing)

Are we improving? -  probably but would improve better if we took the day more seriously

Would we change anything - yes bigger clays (18" dia would do)

Once met a very good shot who was very upset that he missed 4, I was ecstatic that I had hit 65. I know who was happiest. 

Old Man once told me that Perfectionism is the Anti-Christ of Fun. You can get a lot of enjoyment out of getting something as near perfect as possible, but you get very little fun out of it.

It all depends on what you want out of it.

Living the dream.

Fully agree it depends what you want out of it, interesting how subjective it is. For me, I don't do it for social (even though your routine sounds quality), it's more that I spend day in day out thinking problems through for work, non-stop, so to challenge myself to progressing at a sport that's all about 'just shooting' and not thinking is a buzz, and a bit of a break. That's been the challenging bit, though - stopping the thinking. Reassuring to see people a lot more qualified explaining why it's important.

38 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I was talking to a chap about flow a fortnight ago. He's off to the Commonwealth Games again at the moment and won the test event late last year.

Clearly not for everyone. Depends if you want to shoot, or be as good as you can be. 

Yep, which is fair enough. It's a bit heavy for some people, it's a fun sport after-all - this is the kind of analysing that can put people off. It's fascinating to me though. I don't think it's coincidence that who you spoke to is both successful and aware of what goes on when you're in 'the zone'.