.204 Tikka T3X Which model??

CThomas

Hiya Guys,

Looking for an opinion on which model Tikka to buy?

I've set my heart on a Tikka T3x but can't decide whether to get the lite or the varmint? the rifle will be used mainly for foxing and shooting steel when time permits.

Is the varmint really that heavy? and is there a huge difference in accuracy between the two variations? 

Any first hand experience of the two to help me make the decision will be gratefully received. really don't want to spend out on the wrong rifle 

13 hours ago, racing snake said:

Agree with Ed. If you're humping it up hill and and down dale with mod, bi-pod and some NV or heavy glass, sticks and a bag with the rest of your foxing paraphernalia, believe me every once saved is a blessing.

I have a Howa 1500 Varmint and agree wholly that it gets pretty heavy once lugged around for a few hours. Get the lite. 

Its really not that daunting once you get your head around reloading..theres lots of info out there..

My tx3 didnt like the Hornady 40gr vmax factory loads at all...32gr were fine....so i reload with the 32gr now untill i run out and then i will try the 39gr blitz kings to see how they group !

I got the lite and i’m Glad I did because scoped up and with a p8 mod on it it’s still a little heavy but perfectly manageable from a truck. 

Personally any more weight would be a pain and like has been said before if you are  not chucking loads of lead down range why have th extra weight

Edited by Whitester

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2018 at 10:22, Dekers said:

There is next to never a need to get a varmint (heavy) barrel for general field work, neither will it be any more accurate in that situation.

Some people like heavy, fine, ALL my rifles are light, they all work!

:good:

Big and heavy is good for general fitness....as I am well aware but totally agree that it makes no difference in the field. Like many thinks some like big heavy rifles..then secretly regret getting them after lugging them round for hours. Of course we cant admit such stuff as blokes dont make mistakes :lol: 

On 3/14/2018 at 12:42, rimmie said:

This is my .204 varmint 20” barrel, it’s easily carried about. Loverly handy rifle. 

A93EFCBB-0CDD-4DEE-A5D5-8BB0BCB470C3.jpeg

Nice bit of kit :good:

• 2 weeks later...