Trump to meet Kim - North Korea to step down Nuclear Programme?

Lloyd90

Trump is an absolutely numpty at times but to be fair I think our media absolutely bashed him regardless of what he does. 

I know quite a few Americans and many of them say they think he’s doing a good job, and his achievements aren’t reported on the news.  

Well surely this is an achievement worth mention? 

Kim [apprently] says that North Korea are ready to start working towards military dearmament and stepping down their nuclear programme, and are offering to meet with Trump - which he has apparently accepted and will happen in May! 

Now either a few things will happen; 

1) this is a monumental event and could make history if good comes of it 

2) one of them tries to whack the other and it’s WW3

3) there’s a whole lot of talk but nothing actually changes

Whos making bets on 1 or 2? Lol 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/08/trump-will-accept-kim-jong-uns-invitation-to-meet-white-house-says.html

CNN already slating Trump saying he’s not prepared and he will flop and give NK whatever they want ?

He’s only into year 2 and surely this is further with NK than any president before him? 

44 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Great news and as for all of those who regard Donald Trump as a madman, think again.

As Lloyd says, the the majority of Americans love what he is doing, surely a second term will follow.

We live in interesting times.

Lloyd did not say the vast majority of Americans love what he is doing, only that he knew quite a few.

On what basis do the vast majority of Americans love what he is doing? The majority of Americans voted against him, I can't imagine they have swapped sides.

In my view he is incapable of a rational argument but i would not disagree with you about a possibility of a second term,

Lloyd you say we dont see his achievements on the news, a few Americanss i know dont even know about the UK leaving the EU so it goes both ways with media. They have not seen it on the news over there..  They only show what they want us to see or hear.. 

And I expect Trump is doing moat of what he said he would because he is not your average politician.. 

ALL of the other Presidents didn't have the you know whats to face him up and in fact Kennedy gave him the where with all to build the nuclear facility !!!!

Trump put him straight, set the largest maritime force in the world on his door step and flew a few serious looking planes into fields in South Korea and low and behold little fat Kimmy has backed down. Of course all the liberals will say it was because North Korea got invited to the Winter Games. The news media will never say Trump succeeded.

24 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Lloyd you say we dont see his achievements on the news, a few Americanss i know dont even know about the UK leaving the EU so it goes both ways with media. They have not seen it on the news over there..  They only show what they want us to see or hear.. 

And I expect Trump is doing moat of what he said he would because he is not your average politician.. 

Plus 1 on that.  The USA is VERY parochial and very little real world news is broadcast.  Many over there believe we here are not allowed any guns at all ....blows their minds when I explain we have six species of deer we can hunt year round and no limits.  Fortunately FOX NEWS does put out the truth and one of their favorites is Nigel Farage. 

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Trump is an absolutely numpty at times but to be fair I think our media absolutely bashed him regardless of what he does. 

I know quite a few Americans and many of them say they think he’s doing a good job, and his achievements aren’t reported on the news.  

Well surely this is an achievement worth mention? 

Kim [apprently] says that North Korea are ready to start working towards military dearmament and stepping down their nuclear programme, and are offering to meet with Trump - which he has apparently accepted and will happen in May! 

Now either a few things will happen; 

1) this is a monumental event and could make history if good comes of it 

2) one of them tries to whack the other and it’s WW3

3) there’s a whole lot of talk but nothing actually changes

Whos making bets on 1 or 2? Lol 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/08/trump-will-accept-kim-jong-uns-invitation-to-meet-white-house-says.html

CNN already slating Trump saying he’s not prepared and he will flop and give NK whatever they want ?

He’s only into year 2 and surely this is further with NK than any president before him? 

Or Kim is stalling for time to finish off a Nuclear program.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Lloyd did not say the vast majority of Americans love what he is doing, only that he knew quite a few.

On what basis do the vast majority of Americans love what he is doing? The majority of Americans voted against him, I can't imagine they have swapped sides.

In my view he is incapable of a rational argument but i would not disagree with you about a possibility of a second term,

I reckon he’s in with a good chance of a second term. 

Trump is many things but militarily speaking he's not a madman, the problem is and always has been the Military Industrial Complex, there is no way they would consider attacking NK while there is the slightest possibility of a nuclear retaliation. In many ways this is good news all round but just like matters in Gaza it will come to very little in the end, murica can't afford to lose enemies because it's bad for business. 

Personally I also doubt NK would give up its ability to strike back by nuclear means so any negotiations are going to be tough, just can't see them leaving themselves exposed. 

10 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Exactly

Convince your enemies you will attack with the full nuclear force, thus bringing them to the table for talks. :good:

I don't believe NK will relinquish their nukes, not unless it is tied in with reunification at the same time. 

Hmm, well, Kim backing down is one way of looking at it.  Another way would be that Trump has made a monumental mistake by effectively welcoming Kim to the table without having demanded any concessions beforehand.  It may be viewed as legitimising Kim's position and could be perceived as giving him equal footing to the US, as nuclear powers.

Just now, Newbie to this said:

You're probably right, only time will tell, I think whatever the outcome this is a massive achievement by Trump

Actually the achievement belongs to Kim so far, it was he who pulled the blinders in public relations during the winter games and it was he who initiated the talks first with his cousins in SK and now requesting a meet with Trump. 

Anyone who thinks they did it out of fear or being bullied by a show of murican strength is deluded. The MIC will do nothing but blow hot air to rile up the situation and sell more arms to SK and legitimise its military bases close to the Chinese border (China is in reality the main reason behind America's presence there). It may well be that it is China who is behind these latest moves hoping to see whether they can ease tensions and get rid of some of these bases.

Trump is the only US President and the only world leader to stand up to little rocket man's bluster. If nothing else he's earned respect Kim's respect, probably because they're both bullies with autistic tendencies and therefore have much in common.

I've got a feeling that NK would rather not be a pariah state and are looking for an honourable way to be accepted by the world.

40 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Actually the achievement belongs to Kim so far, it was he who pulled the blinders in public relations during the winter games and it was he who initiated the talks first with his cousins in SK and now requesting a meet with Trump. 

Anyone who thinks they did it out of fear or being bullied by a show of murican strength is deluded. The MIC will do nothing but blow hot air to rile up the situation and sell more arms to SK and legitimise its military bases close to the Chinese border (China is in reality the main reason behind America's presence there). It may well be that it is China who is behind these latest moves hoping to see whether they can ease tensions and get rid of some of these bases.

46 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

You're probably right, only time will tell, I think whatever the outcome this is a massive achievement

There you go, does that sit better with you?

48 minutes ago, notsosureshot said:

Hmm, well, Kim backing down is one way of looking at it.  Another way would be that Trump has made a monumental mistake by effectively welcoming Kim to the table without having demanded any concessions beforehand.  It may be viewed as legitimising Kim's position and could be perceived as giving him equal footing to the US, as nuclear powers.

No president has even been able to get so much as a phone call between them and NK since the Korean War - this is without doubt a result of Trumps embargo’s and pressure on both NK, and China and Russia to strictly follow them. 

Combined pressure from sanctions and more recently China. 

If I was Kim, I would be looking at the wealth I had and the limited opportunity to enjoy it. If I could fine a way out gracefully and not get assassinated by my countrymen that would allow me to enjoy the riches, I would take it. I would just need a way out. 

14 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

No president has even been able to get so much as a phone call between them and NK since the Korean War - this is without doubt a result of Trumps embargo’s and pressure on both NK, and China and Russia to strictly follow them. 

I highly doubt that.  Plenty will have been discussed, directly and indirectly via back channels and/or China.  Very little is reported in the papers unless it favours someone.  The embargo's I agree are helping to put pressure on, but the reality is that no US president has agreed to publically discuss anything with North Korea because the North Korean leadership refused to make concessions on various issues, the latest and long standing issue being nuclear weapons.  It would generally be considered bad for the image of the US president to discuss anything with the leader of a country that totally dismisses what they are being told to do by the USA.

Trump meeting the leader of that country basically says they have legitimacy as a nuclear power.  Allowing the meeting in return for apparently nothing is literally granting legitimacy by the USA.  That's the problem unfortunately.

You cannot talk diplomatically to someone who uses an anti-aircraft gun to execute a relative (amongst other things) unless they do something incredibly significant first, like, nuclear disarmament in the full view of the entire world.  Kim wont.

Edited by notsosureshot

None so blind as those who will not see. The sanctions is what caused them to build up their conventional arms into the highly capable deterrent it now is even without use of nukes, sanctions is what caused them to eventually manage to build nukes. 

Sanctions hurt ordinary people, they don't stop a determined foe with a good memory to build arms, look at Iran for instance, if it wasn't for being double crossed by murica with whom it used to be allied it would never have had to become self sufficient in the arms race. Sanctions was the making of them. 

First rule of enlightenment, don't believe everything you read in the papers. NK has offered (and been rejected) peace talks before, it just doesn't make the papers unless it's about some relative being killed at the airport or someone being killed by heavy artillery. 

ps. did anyone watch that demonisation documentary on Putin ? :lol: Talk about being butt hurt :lol:

2 hours ago, Hamster said:

None so blind as those who will not see. The sanctions is what caused them to build up their conventional arms into the highly capable deterrent it now is even without use of nukes, sanctions is what caused them to eventually manage to build nukes. 

Sanctions made it more difficult for them to build whatever weapons they may or may not have. The sanctions would not have been put in place over the years it has taken to enact them if the countries leaders had a more stable approach to the world. Where is the evidence of a highly capable deterrent? If you give no credibility to the news how can you give credibility to the existance or otherwise of viable nuclear weapons?

If the news that says they have weapons is correct then the news that they have no fuel to fly them could well be true.

Boring news never made the headlines.