Which O/U do I buy, ATA or an old Miroku?

thompsn00

After recently starting a thread in regards to an ATA O/U I went to look at one and really liked it. However, I have since been looking at older Mirk's as well, for the same price as the ATA (around £550) I could buy an older fixed choke Miroku 6000 or Miroku 3800 for my £550 budget. Would I be better buying the tried and tested Mirokus which will hold there value better come re sale, or do I buy the ATA, a brand new gun with warranty? Both Mirokus are choked similarly at 1/4 3/4! Before I used to shoot a Hatsan Semi Auto mixed choke but always used the 1/4 choke, I fancied a change so have sold it on. 

What would you do and why? And any advice on buying second hand Mirokus? What should I look out for?

1 minute ago, andrewluke said:

i never consider resale value when i buy a gun!

I would if I know it’s not going to be a ‘forever gun’. 

I bought a non brand name semi auto in the past and last money on it. 

Ive last year bought a silver pigeon O/U and am confident if I ever wanted to sell it I’d get back what I paid for it. 

If you know the gun will fit you well and you won’t want to change it in the future then don’t worry about it. 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

I would if I know it’s not going to be a ‘forever gun’. 

I bought a non brand name semi auto in the past and last money on it. 

Ive last year bought a silver pigeon O/U and am confident if I ever wanted to sell it I’d get back what I paid for it. 

If you know the gun will fit you well and you won’t want to change it in the future then don’t worry about it. 

did you buy the silver pigeon because of resale value or because of the handling qualities??

1 minute ago, andrewluke said:

did you buy the silver pigeon because of resale value or because of the handling qualities??

I bought it because I tried the exact same one and knew it fit me well (which it did). 

I chose to buy a second hand one because I knew I could sell it for what I paid for it. 

So perhaps a bit of both? 

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I bought it because I tried the exact same one and knew it fit me well (which it did). 

I chose to buy a second hand one because I knew I could sell it for what I paid for it. 

So perhaps a bit of both? 

And of course because it was an old Beretta from when they were made to a much higher standard!

Prime consideration with me is ‘do I like the gun’, but I would never buy a gun from an unproved less well known make. 

From a personal point of view I’d go for a Miroku, based on the view that if the ATA is Beretta based I wouldn’t like it anyhow. 

Mate has seen and likes the look of the ATA, but he also owns a Beretta. Saying that he also owns a Browning.....and can’t hit much with either. ?

38 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And of course because it was an old Beretta from when they were made to a much higher standard!

Yes, so it’ll hold value being a decent gun :) 

not sure that one is even that old - think when I checked the serial models it’s aroumd the 2000’s ish - I’ll have to check again. 

It does have the Mobil chokes where as newer ones are optima. 

At what point did they start to go down hill? 

@thompsn00  

As has been said the ATA is very similar to a Beretta and the other gun you mention is a Miroku which is just as alike to a Browning. Chances are one will fit and one wont, as a rule Be's don't fit me Br's do. Fit is the important thing to bear in mind. If you buy a second hand gun from a dealer you'll have some guarantee, if you don't walk away.

I've had a Miroku 3800S for 35+ years.   Do all my game shooting with it.

Second hand when I bought it.   Only had to get it repaired once.   (Wouldn't shoot second barrel). 

I use it hard and abuse it too.   It is a working gun.

It is a circa 1970 gun.   No way would I change it.   Have put tens of thousands of cartridges through it.

Still worth more than I paid for it.

I have a cheap turkish over under, in three years it has had no issues but would have been under warranty.

My better half has an old used miroku which we bought around the same time, it has been in for repairs three times and only works with certain cartridges. It also tends to light strike occasionally and the auto safety occasionally flicks itself on under recoil. Parts are also apparently hard to get and impossible for certain bits of the action.

I suspect each would fetch £200-£250 if we were selling honestly, making cost of ownership about the same for each.

This may help some people who don't know about ATA shotguns.  The design of the action is the original Beretta 686, which ATA had the rights to use; i know of a few issues which have surfaced one of which included bulged barrel after firing and a small amount who's blueing was imperfect upon leaving proof.  However, the wood used on the shotguns is impressive when you compare it to Beretta cheaper grades.

No comparison - the one makes Shotguns for Browning as well as producing some of the very best O/U shotguns under it's own name that you can buy. Spend £550 on a Turkish Delight and what will it be worth in, say ,5 years time -spend the same on a decent used Miroku and you will most likely get your money back.