Beretta SL3

johnnytheboy

12 hours ago, Scully said:

I asked the very nice lady on their stall a few years ago if they’d considered a boxlock, and she told me one was possibly in the pipeline. I’ll bet it’s a cracker. 

I doubt I could still afford one, but I much prefer boxlocks. 

Have shot a sidelock at clays thanks to a chap at Thimbleby who's Longthorne l admired. 

Very nice it was, much better than my Browning.

A boxlock is being developed and l have recently been left a legacy.... watch this space!

Guest stevo
6 hours ago, Brad93 said:

Stocks snapping. Actions too tight. Cartridges going past ejectors. Inertia mechanism hit and miss. 

Really ? Where have you got this info from ? What models are you referring too ? 

Edited by stevo

7 hours ago, Brad93 said:

Stocks snapping. Actions too tight. Cartridges going past ejectors. Inertia mechanism hit and miss. 

I have heard (only ever anecdotally) of (very) occasional stock breakage on the SO sidelock models where a lot of wood is cut away for the locks, but I understand it is rare and usually associated with rough treatment.  I have never heard the non sidelock Berettas are weak in this aspect.

All actions, Beretta included are (or at least should be) fairly tight when new - and should have a little grease on the stub pins when breaking in - my dealer advised me to do this when I bought a new Beretta.  It took a little while to loosen, but 20 years on is still perfect with no tightening or adjustment.  They need to start tight and bed in properly, then they will last and last. 

Never known a Beretta have  cartridge past an ejector (though I have seen it on cheap guns a few times)

Though I dislike single triggers, I have never had any problems with the Beretta inertia trigger ........

I have been around the shooting world a good few years - and can say I have heard of occasional problems in MANY guns, but overall the big names, Beretta, Browing etc. are big simply because  they have been good designs, well made etc. 

Yep.

Inertia/trigger issues on mine, headspace too tight - cartridges scraping down the face of the action and now certain brand cartridges going past top ejector. 

Maybe I got a Friday afternoon job but these issues are not rare at all. 

Guest stevo
10 minutes ago, Brad93 said:

Yep.

Inertia/trigger issues on mine, headspace too tight - cartridges scraping down the face of the action and now certain brand cartridges going past top ejector. 

What model do you have . Early 692 ? 

Edited by stevo

I have two Berettas, both older, a S57EL and an SO6.

The S57EL (bought second hand 30 years ago) has never had a single problem.  The SO6 bought new 20 odd years ago had a minor problem with the tumbler rubbing the wood internally causing a misfire.  Easily sorted.

Neither has ever had a cartridge behind the ejector, and neither has ever had any single trigger problem (despite me being heavily biased against all single triggers).  Both have at times fire several thousand cartridges a year., the S57EL has shot in the tropics with me in very hot conditions with heavy American cartridges, and the SO has walked a great many miles over my arm in Scotland on the moor.

I can honestly say that I have heard of occasional issues on guns of MANY makes - even expensive English guns, but have never had the impression that Beretta have had more than their peers.  There are certain (very much cheap end only) makes that do get a poorer reputation, but you get what you pay for there.

Edited by JohnfromUK

51 minutes ago, Brad93 said:

Yep.

did you send the gun back to Betetta? what did they do/reply? :hmm:

2 hours ago, Docleo said:

did you send the gun back to Betetta? what did they do/reply? :hmm:

They fixed the clearance and inertia issues under warranty. 

Gun now out of warranty. So I will use the cartridges that don’t slip past the ejector. 

Guest stevo

They sound worn to me if that’s the case. Maybe down to lack of lubrrication of perhaps a bit of muck has got down the back. Whatever its a moving part that will always wear it’s most certainly not the end of the world Just buy a new ejector/ejectors and  fit them yourself. Job done  

http://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/beretta-5-lower-extractor-686-series/

Edited by stevo