question for any mechanics about clutches

paul1966

I have an 07 reg cmax that over the past 6 months the gears have gradually got notchy and stiff when changing gear, i first thought it was the clutch dragging  but it is also stiff with the engine off and foot off the clutch pedal, because of this i am starting to think its the linkage between the gearstick and box, on the cmax it uses cables, it does seem to free up a bit after driving a while but is still notchy. Could it still be the clutch? its not slipping but has done 105k so getting on a bit.

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Peculiar question, did it get worse the colder it gets, seasonal wise? 

I have a similar problem on one of my cars, tight gears when winter comes round. 

it does seem worse  when cold and does seem to improve after driving a while and the engine gets warm, i did think it could be the gearbox oil so changed that which made zero difference. i now doubting its the clutch, as its the same whether the clutch is down or not.

1 hour ago, paul1966 said:

it does seem worse  when cold and does seem to improve after driving a while and the engine gets warm, i did think it could be the gearbox oil so changed that which made zero difference. i now doubting its the clutch, as its the same whether the clutch is down or not.

Same here, I've had the car (a laguna) for 8 years, and it's fine in the warmer months, but tightens up as we move towards winter, tried putting fresh oil in, even tried a different grade, molyslip ect. 

I just live with it now, I suppose it could be the clutch not clearing properly when it's cold, but it's £500 worth of parts, that might make no difference on mine.