scope mount advise

shawn9914

I have just bought a second hand scope its a 1980 Tasco 3-9 x 50 AG japan optics just gone to fit it to my HW100 and the end of the scope is touching the barrel I need about another 2mm the mounts are sports match standard height (I think) what is the next size up in height is it 30mm high

Any advise welcome on what is the best way to solve this issue (wont be changing the scope) :lol: 

4 minutes ago, shawn9914 said:

I have just bought a second hand scope its a 1980 Tasco 3-9 x 50 AG japan optics just gone to fit it to my HW100 and the end of the scope is touching the barrel I need about another 2mm the mounts are sports match standard height (I think) what is the next size up in height is it 30mm high

Any advise welcome on what is the best way to solve this issue (wont be changing the scope) :lol: 

Mounts are usually low, medium and high, so perhaps you have low ones?

Low medium and high dont seem hugely well defined. I ended up measuring how high i needed then finding mounts to match, when looking there was a lot of overlap between what counted as low from different places. I ended up with a mount sold as low, which would have been a medium in many ranges, in order to knock 5mm off my 'high' mounts from another manufacturer. 

There are one or two sellers on ebay who are very good at putting the actual measurements in the item descriptions.

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 19:35, Mr.C said:

With a 50mm objective you'll need the high mounts. I did for my hawke and nikko. 

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

I have 50mm and more Objective on several of my scopes, front focus as well, I don't have any HIGH mounts on any rifle I own!

:good:

On 10/03/2018 at 17:36, Mr.C said:

Looked on the Sportsmatch website, saw what I needed, shopped around online. 

Or you could go to your local gun shop and get them to offer up a few and find the correct ones and they might even fit them and the scope F.O.C.

I do..... Customer is well pleased and remembers the good turn and usually comes back. 

But I do appreciate you might rather save a pound or two. 

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Cut a piece of 12g cartridge case to sit in the bottom mount.

Good thinking. Or film negative is what I use but harder to find. I have a stash from my younger days stored away. 

4 hours ago, Dekers said:

I have 50mm and more Objective on several of my scopes, front focus as well, I don't have any HIGH mounts on any rifle I own!

:good:

Sorry, I stand corrected, needed I high mounts to clear the barrel on my air rifles.

3 hours ago, Fil said:

Or you could go to your local gun shop

But I do appreciate you might rather save a pound or two. 

And so I do when not working 6 days a week

Thing is the mount height isn't just dependent on the objective diameter, barrel thickness at the position of the front bell, how high the bases for the mounts sit and also bolt clearance under the ocular all play a part. Even someone else's experience with the same rifle and scope will only be a guide because youe eye position will alter how far forward or back the scope sits.

I hope this helps.

David.