Recommend a digital camera?

wildfowler.250

Anyone got any tips or suggestions on a good digital camera to buy? I think the iPhones have even overtaken the old one we have in the house.. I’d be looking for something that would just take a decent photo to start with but could potentially put a decent lense on for wildlife photos.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Depends on your budget but up to 400 QUID will get you a decent dslr that you can add lenses to. For me it is always between nikon and cannon. I went for a nikon d40x many years ago but like all technology is now out of date but still produces excellent results. I bought it because it felt right wheres the canon felt a little small in my hands. I bought as a package with two lenses and added a tamron zoom. My advice is get into a shop handle a few and then look online eg slrhut who are doing some good packages if you need the accessories. If not just get the basic camera and add bits as you can afford it.

What sort of budget do you have? 

If you're looking to take wildlife shots eventually you should be looking for something which is preferably weather sealed, has a high burst rate and can handle low ISO settings. There are plenty on the market, but be aware that a decent lens will make more of a difference to your photography than nearly anything else. A crop sensor camera is probably your best bet to start with, but nothing can beat taking your time and getting close to your subject when it comes to wildlife. You're buying into a system when you buy a camera so be sure that whatever system you choose has all the bodies/lenses that you need now and the future.

Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony and others all do good systems, and will meet any requirements you have. Pick them up and have a play... it's the only way to make a proper, informed decision.

Cheers gents. Plenty of points there that I hadn’t considered. Having looked at a few reviews, I’d generally accepted £400-£500 was a realistic figure. Ultimately they should last a long time so might as well buy something reasonable.

Appreciate all the feedback as this is something I don’t know a huge amount about. Any pointers in the right direction are very helpful!

15 minutes ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Cheers gents. Plenty of points there that I hadn’t considered. Having looked at a few reviews, I’d generally accepted £400-£500 was a realistic figure. Ultimately they should last a long time so might as well buy something reasonable.

Appreciate all the feedback as this is something I don’t know a huge amount about. Any pointers in the right direction are very helpful!

With that sort of budget you should be able to pick up a pretty good set up. Don't discount buying secondhand, you can get some real bargains. My advice would be to buy from a reputable shop where you should get plenty of advice and usually a limited guarantee too. My two 'go to' outlets are Wex and SRS  Microsystems, but there are plenty of others out there. Probably best to steer clear of e-bay unless you really know what you're looking for. 

I replaced my Nikon 5000 wit ha Panasonic FZ330 due to the sheer versatility of the latter.

I had 3 lenses with the Nikon a 17-55, a 90-300 and a 1.8 500mm fixed length.
The panasonic is a bridge camera with a Leica 25-600 zoom at F1.8 right through the zoom range, brilliant electronic viewfinder and built in flash.
Gone is the rucksack with the Nikon and 3 lenses, the Panasonic takes up much less space and is a lot lighter and records video in 4K.
Well worth a look. £449.00 at Jessops.

On the flip side, I’ve just sold all my DSLR gear (to Wex!) as I hadn’t used it in over a year. My iPhone does everything I need it to do now. Obviously it can’t do what a telephoto lease will do, but it does a very good job of everything else.

On 10/03/2018 at 16:06, markm said:

Canon eos m. 

Small enough to put in a handbag and allows for  lens attachment of all sizes. 

Should pick up a second hand model cheap as chips. 

The Canon EOS M range has expanded a lot in the past year or two considerably. 

It is a compact system camera which means it has the same imagining sensor as a full size DSLR but is the physical size of a small compact camera. 

This ultimately translates into superb image quality you can, quite literally put in your pocket or every day bag. 

I personally own and shoot regularly an EOS M3 and have taken some superb images with it  

It was bought with the little EFM 22MM F2 lens which is the best ATM lens canon make and will suit for everyday photogrpahy and good in low light because of its f2 aperture... 

However...and this is a big however... 

If you do decide to purchase an eos m series camera... Canon use a separate lens mount system to the rest of their DSLR cameras. It is known as an EFM mount. Whereas the regular DSLR canon cameras use EFS and EF mounts. 

This brings it onto another point worth mentioning. If you want to add a lens on to the M camera which isn't an EFM lens, you will need to purchase the correct adaptor ( Canon do an EF-to-EFM adapter) this will allow the use of all of Canons lenses. 

The older EOS M and M3 dont have the best autofocus around however the new M6 and M5 are much better apparently. 

This is a sample image i took yesterday evening whilst walking about and should give you an idea of image quality. 

This was taken withthe M3 with th3 brilliant Sigma 24mm F1.4 Art lens which is a professional grade of lens but it shows what image quality you can expect to achieve. 

LRM_EXPORT_20180313_175710.jpg

Cheers Dave 

P.s. in all honesty though I would probably reccomend a good medium end DSLR for your budget. There are loads from canon now all starting from the eos 1300d. (Smaller the number the better the camera and features)

If you needany advice at all do please drop me a message, I would be more than happy to help if possible.