Aldi

JohnKennySang

Thought I'd give it ago,everyone keeps saying the food is ok and not bad quality.Just did a small shop £40,lol it is really horrible.The meat looked like it had been in the shelves months.Chicken had that funny greens/yellowish look so avoided that.Bought the mince and did a shepherds pie,It was bland, her in doors noticed straight away.The Lurpack butter (Norpack) tasted like it was 90% salt.Just got in from fishing and made myself some beans on toast,that's gone straight in the bin.

The only thing that was nice was some Strawberry preserve jam.The rest is not fit to give to the dog (if I had one ) however the Carp did enjoy their sweet corn today.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’ve done a few shops at Aldi and most of the stuff is perfectly acceptable I’ve found. I’d never buy their own brand coffee but then Mrs BTJ bought tescos own brand Coffee the other day and that tasted rank as well. I don’t shop at Aldi on the whole for two reasons 1 it’s out of my way and 2 I object to having my food thrown at me to go and pack on a bench after I’ve paid for it. If it wasn’t out of my way to get to I’d probably run the gauntlet but as it is I tend to drive by Asda on my way from work so they get my business. They can treat you equally as badly when it comes to packing your bags!

We shop at Aldi and also Morrisons. We carefully select what we want and don't buy what is obviously cheapo rubbish.  Aldi is tops at the moment with their prime sirloin steaks. They also have some super pate.  The vodka is as good as for putting fruit in.  Their crinkle cut crisps are also first rate.  Their luxury butter biscuits are also irst class..excuse me must just dunk this one ...hmmmm ...  The thick cut marmalade my wife brought for the vodka concoction is also very good.  BUT take a look on the shelves and there is also a lot of cheepo rubbish as well and so there is at Morrisons.

Must admit Aldi's crisps, the 30 meaty pack is top banana. They actually have flavour. The roast chicken and smokey bacon last about 10 mins when I bring the pack in. Kids are like they haven't been fed for days.

Most of their food is good, Just watch the old use by dates. There usually isnt long left.

Never bought a Parkside tool are they any good? Who is behind them?

41 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I honestly cannot tell the difference between aldi and tesco. If I could I wouldn't shoot there. Neither can anyone else who eats at my house or im sure they would have told me.I wonder how much is in the mind. 

Nail on head :good:

1 minute ago, Howling Hound said:

I never buy bacon from any supermarket (or any other meat) I like my bacon fried and not boiled in its own water. Always use a good butcher. Yes I pay more but it's edable

I'm curing me own bacon at the moment, first attempt and must admit I'm a bit worried about eating it.

1 minute ago, Howling Hound said:

I must say their steaks, and lamb chops are excellent, so is their bacon.  Horseradish sauce, tartare sauce, mint sauce gravy granules equal to anything from the big stores.   Veg also good in my eyes and wine and beer as good as any.  Always buy unsalted butter there for cooking.

Blackpowder

Had one of their (Aldi) new range of 16oz rump steaks last night! Thought it was very good! Go for their "specially selected" range of meats/ fish etc. (black package with gold writing) Their oak smoked bacon and sausages are as good as any supermarkets. (re-mince, they do 3 or so diff types including low fat. If you go for the 5% fat you sacrifice taste for health! as in most things) I always get the gold wrapped butter, think it tastes good and keeps good spreadable consistency at room temp! 

The misses was a Sainsbury snob and thought the same as a few of the above, until i did a secret taste test and told her it was from Sainsburys! Aldi weekly shop £80ish compared to £120-140.