JohnKennySang

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, JohnKennySang said:

Thought I'd give it ago,everyone keeps saying the food is ok and not bad quality.Just did a small shop £40,lol it is really horrible.The meat looked like it had been in the shelves months.Chicken had that funny greens/yellowish look so avoided that.Bought the mince and did a shepherds pie,It was bland, her in doors noticed straight away.The Lurpack butter (Norpack) tasted like it was 90% salt.Just got in from fishing and made myself some beans on toast,that's gone straight in the bin.

The only thing that was nice was some Strawberry preserve jam.The rest is not fit to give to the dog (if I had one ) however the Carp did enjoy their sweet corn today.

Welcome to Pigeon watch :good:

His first EVER post and he’s come to a shooting forum to post a negative review of ALDI? 

I’m guessing someone read the recent threads where everyone said how good it was and has made a half ***** attempt at trolling ?

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Lidl's wines are always top in the Telegraph's wine surveys and their Christmas puddings beat M & S and Waitrose for the past several years.

Their dry aged steak is always an award winner as well beating the other supermarkets. 

And their mince is lovely I found - if it was bland it clearly wasn’t seasoned or cooked very well lol 

1 hour ago, Rst1990 said:

Think there’s a lot of people with shares in Aldi on here :lol:

No its not that, I believe that because they came into the marketplace after the others they focussed on price to get market share and people perceive them as down market. They opened a big Aldi about a mile and a half from me a couple of years back and I now shop there all the time. But I also know people who have said to me "Oh I would never shop at Aldi" one person in particular who wouldn't even go in for a look round 

I have shopped at Aldi and Lidl in the past and they are alright, but I often can't get all of my family's shop there so I have to go to Tesco anyway, then I end up wondering why I didn't just go to Tesco in the first place, the savings aren't really all that great and I've lost half a day ******* about. 

26 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

No its not that, I believe that because they came into the marketplace after the others they focussed on price to get market share and people perceive them as down market. They opened a big Aldi about a mile and a half from me a couple of years back and I now shop there all the time. But I also know people who have said to me "Oh I would never shop at Aldi" one person in particular who wouldn't even go in for a look round 

That's just snobbery. I can understand not shopping somewhere because the food isn't as good or it's out of the way or something like that but just because you think it's downmarket or beneath you... I hate that attitude. 

I've found the food (and other stuff) generally very good.  A few things I've not liked - but you get that in any place.  Taken overall it's as good as Tesco/Morrison/Sainsbury - and a good saving.

The downsides for me is that it is less convenient (further and through more traffic congestion) than Morrisons, has poor parking and no fishmonger or in house bakery.  If it wasn't for those, I would use them more than Morrisons.  As it is I use them about 25% of the time. 

I may end up using Aldi more anyway as local Morrisons has gone badly downhill (more empty shelves than full) recently - and not due to the bad weather either.  Being sold out of bananas, eggs in half dozen egg packs, milk in pints at 15:00 on a Saturday is sheer bad management.  Morrisons is also 'grubby' with pools of water coming from under the chillers and the aisles congested by bins fill of dented tins 'on offer'.

10 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Morrisons has gone badly downhill (more empty shelves than full) recently - and not due to the bad weather either.  Being sold out of bananas, eggs in half dozen egg packs, milk in pints at 15:00 on a Saturday is sheer bad management.  Morrisons is also 'grubby' with pools of water coming from under the chillers and the aisles congested by bins fill of dented tins 'on offer'.

Not just yours - we have only found one branch in recent years that was not like this.

I've shopped in Aldi for about 5 years, a lot of the produce is good some not so ('cheap' bread goes off quickly, so I simply don't buy it!). As a single parent I reckon I save about £100-£120 each month by shopping there. Also I love my VDE screwdriver set, my stubby metric spanner set, my 3/8" drive socket set etc etc

There seems to be no further comment from the original poster, perhaps our friendly natured discussion has proved too much for him?

Oh, try using some seasoning with meat to improve its flavour when cooking it!

Edited by Ricko

For entertainment value Thursday is the day I go to the local  Lidl. Bargain day!! The place is awash with the local drongos,  ripping open the packaging and tossing the contents back onto the selves. I found a bunch of Bananas amongst the cheap Trainer shoes once...The local staff recruitment system needs overhauling I sometimes feel, stacking empty cardboard boxes in that handy recess where the fire doors are could lead to tears if 'Elf and Safety' ever go shopping in the Lidl Emporium. The high light is standing in a 12 yard queue and they announce " Aisle 6 is now closing, please use Aisle 4"...my record is three aisles with just a bottle of milk..nip into Lidl and get some milk, ok, see you in three hours...

The meat is generally good though...adrenalin softens it... Getting dragged off to the slaughter house having just come last in the 3.45 at Deauville-LaTouques does that, I'm told.  :lol: :lol:

I'm not complaining really, Lidl is a handy shop, I use their car park and go into the cafe next door...:yahoo:

29 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Not just yours - we have only found one branch in recent years that was not like this.

Agreed, other people locally whom use different branches of Morrison's have also reported deterioration in standards - especially being out of stock; ours even manages to be out of milk on occasions now.

Must admit when ours first opened I was a snob and declared I'd never shop there. A workmate couldn't believe how cheap the beans were and I discovered why. I still wont eat them, nor their cereals, but apart from them almost anything goes.....and with relish. The rib eyes are wonderful and the chickens are better than Sainsbury's. As for bland; I think most meats are ( except bacon ) unless you know what to do with them and how to cook. Their veg' is fine and they have an excellent variety of cheeses, and wines. Their own crisps are wonderful, especially the the cheese and onion, and the chocolate is good, as are the preserves. I will shop elsewhere of course, but much depends on ease of parking, and when in my home town will shop for fruit and veg' and meat there as there's nothing like a good local supplier and butcher, but all in all I find the food in Aldi fine.  

What happened to the OP? :)

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

SNOBS!!  The sort of people would wouldn't be seen dead in an Aldi fleece waistcoat at £7.. I have two and they are brilliant .... but happy to pay £80- £90 to have a name embroidered on one.   I have met them,  must have a Sage rod when Shakespeare beat them hands down with their Salmon fly rod ...I have one of those too:yes: and it lays a long line perfectly.

MIND!!  Morrisons do a very good whisky at the price ...excuse whilst I sip:good:

Apart from the food, which being something of a moron I can't really tell the difference between quality and junk unless it's really rank, I've bought some good kit in Aldi at times. Top of the list has to be a base layer of wind proof top and  leggings designed for motorcylists , absolutely ace in cold weather on my unfaired bike.  :good:

When the Dodgy Chicken Scandal happened a while back, it came out that all of the big names were getting the same Chicken from the same supplier.

The same Chicken in M &S was approximately twice the price as in Aldi.

Same Chicken, twice the price.

I'm sure it will be the same for many items.

M &S,  Sainsbury etc. Are just having our pants down.

1 hour ago, mickyh said:

When the Dodgy Chicken Scandal happened a while back, it came out that all of the big names were getting the same Chicken from the same supplier.

The same Chicken in M &S was approximately twice the price as in Aldi.

Same Chicken, twice the price.

I'm sure it will be the same for many items.

M &S,  Sainsbury etc. Are just having our pants down.

So if Aldi/Lidl get, for example their Baked beans, and the big supermarket get their own brand and/or value pack baked beans from the same source/supplier, why do they taste carp compared to Heinz baked beans?

Their bread cakes and biscuits are tasteless carp too, as are many other things! if not, why do they try to fool people into buying their goods by closely copying packaging and similarly naming them to resemble premium brands?

If It was any good, they would be purchased on their own merit! Not by copying so called premium brands!

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Morrisons do a very good whisky at the price ...excuse whilst I sip

Aldi's Glen Marnoch (not a real place!) single malts are excellent - and come in 3 'regions', Islay, Speyside and Highland.  At change from £20 for a bottle it's exceptional value.  Their Highland Black (I think that is what it is called) is also an excellent blend for the price.

41 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

So if Aldi/Lidl get, for example their Baked beans, and the big supermarket get their own brand and/or value pack baked beans from the same source/supplier, why do they taste carp compared to Heinz baked beans?

Their bread cakes and biscuits are tasteless carp too, as are many other things! if not, why do they try to fool people into buying their goods by closely copying packaging and similarly naming them to resemble premium brands?

If It was any good, they would be purchased on their own merit! Not by copying so called premium brands!

think mickhy was referring to the chicken not tin products, put yes your right panorama the beens are terrible it's heinz all the way for me, they do a lovely beetroot and horseradish chutney tho lovely on ham or beef