JohnKennySang

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

All Weetabix biscuits, even the own brands, are made in a factory in Northampton. The shape is patented and can't be copied. Same for cornflakes, they all get made in the same factory in Manchester. But people are convinced that the 'proper' ones taste better. Its psychological,  my stepdaughter wont eat or use anything that's own brand.

Apparantly Weetabix in Northants do make copy products for the discount stores to sell under a different name and with different packaging......but the size, ingredients, nutritional values and recipes are subtly different from original weetabix.

Corn flakes copies are manufactured in both the UK and several foreign countries, to a different size, recipes, calorific and other values, for sale under a different name with different packaging by discount stores, so are different to original Kellogg's cornflakes.

So the taste is likely to be different too!

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Apparantly Weetabix in Northants do make copy products for the discount stores to sell under a different name and with different packaging......but the size, ingredients, nutritional values and recipes are subtly different from original weetabix.

Corn flakes copies are manufactured in both the UK and several foreign countries, to a different size, recipes, calorific and other values, for sale under a different name with different packaging by discount stores, so are different to original Kellogg's cornflakes.

So the taste is likely to be different too!

looks like a corn flake, tastes like a corn flake, chances are its a corn flake unless its a badly pressed and dyed sugar puff....The lengths these cereal manufacturers will go too. :lol::lol:

8 minutes ago, hambone said:

looks like a corn flake, tastes like a corn flake, chances are its a corn flake unless its a badly pressed and dyed sugar puff....The lengths these cereal manufacturers will go too. :lol::lol:

Ah! but if it's from Aldi/Lidl and doesn't say Kellogg's Cornflakes on the box, it's not an original Kellogg's Cornflake! And won't taste like one! :whistling:

4 hours ago, panoma1 said:

So if Aldi/Lidl get, for example their Baked beans, and the big supermarket get their own brand and/or value pack baked beans from the same source/supplier, why do they taste carp compared to Heinz baked beans?

Their bread cakes and biscuits are tasteless carp too, as are many other things! if not, why do they try to fool people into buying their goods by closely copying packaging and similarly naming them to resemble premium brands?

If It was any good, they would be purchased on their own merit! Not by copying so called premium brands!

Biscuits are made by foxes I was informed last week 

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

it's not an original Kellogg's Cornflake! And won't taste like one!

Personally, I'd almost rather eat cardboard than cornflakes .......... Aldi, Kelloggs or any other

Breakfast should be toast and marmalade, with 'full English' for a treat now and again (by which I mean as often as possible).

26 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Ah! but if it's from Aldi/Lidl and doesn't say Kellogg's Cornflakes on the box, it's not an original Kellogg's Cornflake! And won't taste like one! 

Enjoy

Edited by mickyh
Too much to drink

31 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Personally, I'd almost rather eat cardboard than cornflakes .......... Aldi, Kelloggs or any other

Breakfast should be toast and marmalade, with 'full English' for a treat now and again (by which I mean as often as possible).

Plus me on that, must be 60 years since I had the misfortune to eat either flakes or that straw like stuff.   Crispy bacon, porridge brace of soft boiled eggs warm rolls fresh from local baker making me hungry just writing about  them.

Blackpowder

42 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Ain't that the truth! :yes: As long as it ain't Aldi/Lidl bread, marmalade, bacon, sausage egg etc etc etc that is! ? 

And for a day on the moor.....poached haddock with a soft boiled egg atop!

Sorry lads! Didn't mean to prompt another difference of opinion! :no:

5 hours ago, panoma1 said:

So if Aldi/Lidl get, for example their Baked beans, and the big supermarket get their own brand and/or value pack baked beans from the same source/supplier, why do they taste carp compared to Heinz baked beans?

Their bread cakes and biscuits are tasteless carp too, as are many other things! if not, why do they try to fool people into buying their goods by closely copying packaging and similarly naming them to resemble premium brands?

If It was any good, they would be purchased on their own merit! Not by copying so called premium brands!

Heinz beans have went down hill recently, too watery a sauce, where as Asda own brand is far superior to Heinz.

My wife will insist in poaching haddock in our kitchen and the appalling stink hangs around for days.

Aldi do some rather morish biscuits. They come in three or four flavours, and if you look on the biscuit shelf they are in a brown box.  Sat in my pigeon hide this morning and with no pigeons wanting to play I had to make do with dunking a whole box...well one at a time into my coffee(Morrisons Sumatran 5)  ... of the white chocolate variety. 

Edited by Walker570

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Whilst they may be similar not all brands are going to be the exact same, hence some people even find the ALDI brands better for some things. 

What I have read is that products in the UK like baked beans have much more sugar and salt added that on the continent. 

Have you ever tried Heinz low sugar beans? They’re bloody horrible!!! But still, adding lots of salt and sugar to food might make it taste nice but that don’t mean it’s good food. 

It’s like McDonald’s - they put sugar in the buns and loads of salt on the fries - people say it’s tastes good but it’s no better than anywhere else is it? 

12 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Whilst they may be similar not all brands are going to be the exact same, hence some people even find the ALDI brands better for some things. 

What I have read is that products in the UK like baked beans have much more sugar and salt added that on the continent. 

Have you ever tried Heinz low sugar beans? They’re bloody horrible!!! But still, adding lots of salt and sugar to food might make it taste nice but that don’t mean it’s good food. 

It’s like McDonald’s - they put sugar in the buns and loads of salt on the fries - people say it’s tastes good but it’s no better than anywhere else is it? 

But we eat things because they taste nice! We don't usually buy them irrespective of taste, on the basis of the amount of certain ingredients they contain!....unless of course healthy eating is the main criteria, we are all different some just eat to live......some eat to live but enjoy eating.....and back we come to the unhealthy but delicious.........full English! Lol!:innocent:

12 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

But we eat things because they taste nice! We don't usually buy them irrespective of taste, on the basis of the amount of certain ingredients they contain!....unless of course healthy eating is the main criteria, we are all different some just eat to live......some eat to live but enjoy eating.....and back we come to the unhealthy but delicious.........full English! Lol!:innocent:

You can have a healthier full English if your a bit more selective in what you have and avoid too much deep frying lol - that way maybe enjoy it for a few extra years :) 

I get what your saying mate - I personally like Aldi beans tho - There are so many brands even in the big name shops now - Heinz, Branston etc - they’re all having a punt. 

Lets all be content at least we can get decent food in the UK! Ever had a “full English” abroad? It’s a bloody insult!! ?

Lets all be content at least we can get decent food in the UK! Ever had a “full English” abroad? It’s a bloody insult!! ?"

I wintered on my boat in a marina at Torrevieja in Spain a few years ago. Up the town was an Iceland supermarket with an English Cafe next door. English owned, English and Scottish cooks. It was necessary to get there early for a chance of getting a breakfast because it quickly filled up with locals all stuffing their faces with a full English . Fed up with Olives on Octopus with rice or whatever they usually ate, they didn't bat an eyelid about abandoning the "Healthy Mediterranean" diet first chance they got every morning..:lol:  :lol:

16 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You can have a healthier full English if your a bit more selective in what you have and avoid too much deep frying lol - that way maybe enjoy it for a few extra years  

I get what your saying mate - I personally like Aldi beans tho - There are so many brands even in the big name shops now - Heinz, Branston etc - they’re all having a punt. 

Lets all be content at least we can get decent food in the UK! Ever had a “full English” abroad? It’s a bloody insult!! ?

that depends wear on holiday you go Lloyd there a cracking place in adeje in Tenerife it's all imported from the uk even bury black pudding just the best :yes:

We won't be shopping in Aldi anytime soon.

They announced we were getting a nice new shiny Aldi store in our town.
Only problem there was a lovely copse of mature trees standing where it was to be built.
There was a local protest against cutting them down but the planning dept sided with Aldi, so down they came.
Then Aldi decided they didn't want to build a store there after all... 

2 hours ago, serrac said:

We won't be shopping in Aldi anytime soon.

They announced we were getting a nice new shiny Aldi store in our town.
Only problem there was a lovely copse of mature trees standing where it was to be built.
There was a local protest against cutting them down but the planning dept sided with Aldi, so down they came.
Then Aldi decided they didn't want to build a store there after all... 

If they are mature trees they probably need thinning and selling off for lumber.